naming personal website for art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

naming personal website for art

I can't help wondering, but what is the norm in naming of websites to display your artwork (personal gallery, portifolo, etc.) Do people usually use their name, like, www..johndoestudio.com, or do they try to come up with something catchy? I am planning to set up my own website to display my artwork, and perhaps to sell (assuming anyone even want my stuff!!). I want to know what is the best way to name the website, with my name or something else that people would remember?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think using one's own name is the norm, also the most formal and professional way, but if you have something that's catchy, original and appropriate, you could use it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess if it's you your selling then its good to go for your name (luckly I have a name that wasnt taken when I wanted it...my freind chris brown had a bizach of a time when he wanted to name his site after himself, his name plus the postfixes "design" "art" etc were all taken. I personaly like alex pardee's site: eyesuckink.com ...freeking awsome illustrations too

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    problem with eyesuckink.com, if you mention it by mouth, they might take down isuckink, causing complications with possible clientel! so make it easy to pronounce and understandable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also depends what your name is. in my case i wouldn't use mine because it's pretty difficult to write and remember.

Last edited by pomegranate; June 11th, 2007 at 03:45 PM.

tomwaits4noman is offline well, that's a pipe of a different color Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is no set way,
    to use your name is professional but at the same time personal

if your name is John Smith you might need something catchy especially if someone wants to find your site through Google.

If you have a business then you would use that name.

Pick something that is
    1. easy tor remember
    2. don't confuse people like the example of eyesuckink might
    3. relates to the business, so plumbling fixtures for an art website might not be the best choice

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As long as it's logical and memorable, you're good. A site like johnsmithart.com might not stick in someone's head, but it's hard to misspell and it's a very accurate description of what to expect. A name like postapocalypticponderings.com might describe your art, but it's pretentious, it's too long, and no one would ever know that it's a site devoted to paintings. A name like goodbrush.com is great, and a simple yourname.com is nice, especially if you have a unique name. As long as they can get to your site without being offended, it doesn't matter.

If a name's taken, I'd advise against choosing an alternate like .us or .biz, since people might go to .com, see a different site, and give up on you. Just find a different name.

Hope that helps.

edit: haha, I just noticed that you said John Smith as well, TomWaits. Pure coincidence, I promise.

Last edited by theincredibleandy; June 11th, 2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: haha
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can always do a combination of both!

Like www.yournamehereadjectivestudio.net/biz/info...

Ejemplo:

www.johnadampainterstudio.info

or even set it up as a sub-domain of a bigger art site you want to make. Such as:

www.johnadam.painterstudio.info

www.painterstudio.info

That way you can add your buddies onto your site too and collect a small fee to help pay for the site!

Make it as long or short as you like, but remember clear/concise and shorter names are easier to remember!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.