What makes a good portfolio website?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What makes a good portfolio website?

Can anyone give some suggestions as to what makes a good portfolio website. Obviously a good portfolio but how is it best presented navigated etc?

All help appreciated thanks.

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on what sort of job you are angling for. And even for a specific job there is no one right way to assemble a portfolio.

Use the portfolio to show a company that you are capable of doing the job you are applying for.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I strongly suggest making a simple, easy to navigate website. It doesn't have to be fancy. Your art is what should impress people not your webdesign. I've seen one guys website (sorry can't find the link) that was strictly artwork displayed on a black background. Artwork was centered and vertically aligned. So all you did was scroll down. Simple and straight to the point. No clicking, no popups.

One thing I really hate is people who have a front page that says "click here to enter". Just hit people with your work right away. Think of your portfolio website as your business card. Leave personal anecdotes on your blog.

One more thing, I'm selective with what I put on my website. I don't put in every little sketch or doodle, again, those go on my blog. I once read a job ad where the employer only wanted to see 12 to 15 pieces. So I limit my website to about that.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies.

Seedling - I am aiming for Illustration and concept art fields.

RogerAdams - Those are good points. I will bear them in mind. I was thinking simplicity myself.

Thank you both for the advice.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No Flash!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why exactly? I know that there are some horrible flash sites out there but also some amazing ones. Would you be able to give a bit more detail on that please?

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the person looking to hire you doesn't have the patience to get the latest drivers necessary to see your website, it's a potential job lost. Keep the website simple so that as many people can see it as possible, even on older computers.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    -Because your site won't work at all unless you have the correct plugin or extension on the machine you're trying to view it from.
    If you don't have full admin rights on that machine you probably can't install the required plugins.

-Increased loading times, for no good reason.

-It's an art portfolio, not a web design one.

-Lacks "right click, save as" features and bookmarking*

-Doesn't really work with my browser functions such as tabs in FF, I like my middle click button, it's handy.

It's generally just annoying. Given the choice between a Flash version of a site and a standard HTML one, have you ever clicked the Flash? I haven't..

I shall now leave this thread before the web developers arrive and start raving about how awesome Flash is..

*I believe this can be done but it's a lot of work and no one ever does it..

Last edited by Flake; May 30th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good points. Particuarily about plugin downloads. I think they can be bookmarked because the link goes to the web page the flash file is on but I may be wrong.

I like the possibilities of flash but you have made some good points. Thanks for the advice.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..on the other hand, if you are looking for a job w/in the tech industry,(ex: concept art in games) I sure hope the people who are reviewing portfolios have Flash installed or are at least tech-savy enough to know how to use it.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that I HATE when viewing art websites is when the thumbnails of the images are tiny and show only a minuscule little portion of the image, so you click on a thumb having no idea what the image will be. That's a big turn-off for me, and unless I know the artist, or the images I do click on are fan-flipping-tastic, I usually just back out of that website after looking at a few images. I like to be able to tell from the thumbnails just what I'm going to see, so I can quickly go to a few images that interest me, rather than tediously work my way through a bunch of tiny, nondescriptive thumbs just to find the good images.
    As some examples, just look at Jason Chan's or Bengal's websites up at the top of the forums; I love their art, but I can't stand the way their galleries are laid out. Since their images are impressive, I'm more liable to keep on clicking on their tiny thumbnails, because it's pretty much assured that the picture that comes up will be good. For other artists, if my first few clicks bring up uninteresting images, I click the back button and move on to other websites.
    Sorry if that was rambling or repetitive. I've had that little rant stored away for a little while. And keep in mind this is just the perspective of someone who likes to look at pretty pictures, not someone in the position to hire or commission anyone based on their website or art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by otis View Post
    ..on the other hand, if you are looking for a job w/in the tech industry,(ex: concept art in games) I sure hope the people who are reviewing portfolios have Flash installed or are at least tech-savy enough to know how to use it.
    Being in a tech industry, I can assure you that not everyone here is tech-savvy. You really want to make sure that there are no technical hurdles between the viewers and the portfolio, because portfolio review time can be a sucktastic distraction from the ten thousand other tasks that need to get done. (Even worse is demo-reel reviews. Shoot me now!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Some very good points here. I will bear them all in mind.

Thanks again.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    focus on content. dont use flash. decent sized images. easy navigation.

basically think about what annoys YOU when you look at other people's art, multiply it by a million, and you should have a good idea as to what not to do.

it ain't rocket science good grief.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good artwork? lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.