Felt-tip thinner than the Micron .005 Pen?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Felt-tip thinner than the Micron .005 Pen?

The pen I usually use is Sakura's .005 felt-tip "micron". It easily makes lines around half as wide as the period at the end of this sentence (but can also make thicker ones depending on how its used). The offical line size is said to be 0.2mm.

Pics of the pen I use: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3...ges/005pen.jpg & http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3.../005pennib.jpg

(Hm... for some reason the links don't work for me so just look up "Micron pen .005" on google)

Anyway, my question is if anyone knows whether there's a smaller felt-tip pen out there. I'm talking needle-small lines. The only thing that makes this seem a little hard to imagine is that it would be so easy to crush the tip... unless it was made of something stronger.

So anyone know of the "smallest" felt-tip pin out there?

Last edited by Zirngibism; May 29th, 2007 at 03:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.dickblick.com/zz221/27/

I've used the regular Copic Multiliners for a while, I just got the set of SPs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if there are smaller felt tip pens out there, but there are technical pens (I think they also have another name, but I forgot) which I think are thinner than microns.
    Here's a link to the ones made by staedtler: http://www.staedtler.com/Mars_matic_...?ActiveID=2414
    I've seen them irl and they're tiny thin - I've never tried using them though, so I dunno...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    0.005mm? I doubt they can go smaller than that...
    You could always buy a nice brush, pluck all the hairs leaving only one and use that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why do you need something so small?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the links!- I was hoping not to have to refill ink cartriges, but I can live. I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push detail.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    0.005mm? I doubt they can go smaller than that...
    You could always buy a nice brush, pluck all the hairs leaving only one and use that.
    0.2mm in actual measurement, actually, though they call it .005.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    why do you need something so small?
    Well, it's a good question, I should probably draw larger-- Often, I'll draw when I'm in a place like school, or waiting in an restaurant, etc... I'll use a small sketchbook 9" by 7", and draw detailed creatures, etc..., so if I want good detail in a tiny space, it seems to work. It also saves ink . I have a couple in my sketchbook at this website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, just checked out your myspace....for an 18yr old your freeking awome...real cool and interesting work...sorry, nothing to do with tiny pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty L. View Post
    I don't know if there are smaller felt tip pens out there, but there are technical pens (I think they also have another name, but I forgot) which I think are thinner than microns.
    Here's a link to the ones made by staedtler: http://www.staedtler.com/Mars_matic_...?ActiveID=2414
    I've seen them irl and they're tiny thin - I've never tried using them though, so I dunno...
    yeah those are the pens i use.

they aren't felt tipped, they use metal wires and a counter-weight system, so when pressure is applied it lifts the weight allowing ink to travel down the wire, it's incredibly precise if you take care of the pens.

they are refillable and easy to clean. unlike felt tipped pens (or pigment liners) you'd have a hard time 'crushing' the fine point (unless you slammed the tip against your drawing surface in rage, or soemthign stupid), but for drawing use, they wont wear down.

i suggest drawing larger though, 11x14 is a good size (fits in most standard backpacks without any fuss).

also for ink work this small make sure you're using hot press heavy weight paper (at least 60lbs, preferably over 100lbs). the fine tipped pens will destroy the fibers of cold press paper if you begin to work in fine detail, resulting in bad linework. certain acetates, vellum, and vellum finish papers aren't a bad choice either. since they are so smooth in finish, the ink rests on the surface of the paper rather than being soaked into the page which may result in bleeding. one drawback to smooth finish paper is that since the ink is not absorbed it takes longer to dry, which may cause smearing and streaking if you're too impatient.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As has been mentioned, technical pens. Or draw bigger.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.faber-castell.de/docs/ind...10965&m5=13469

If anyone has one of those, I totally swear we'd be like...pen pals or something...or ball point buddies, or..or.

I should stop >_>

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.