Single top montage image would be better!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Single top montage image would be better!

Hi all

I used to spend alot of time, jsut browsing, CA.org. And recently I've become annoyed with the load times of the pages. To the point I'm reluctant to spend too much time on the site. This is main caused by the top montage. While caching is working well it's still a number of requests to the server and thus lagging the page load.

While the top montage is great to look at, it would be much more efficient to use a single image. The bandwidth would decrease as one image is a smaller amount of data than many little ones. More over the lagg in the client requesting the 50+ images off the server is extreamly noticable. Partly due to the restrictions on the number of connections to the server.

I've not really noticed if the montage changes on a regular basis. Even if it doesn it's quite simple to create a single image dynamically, on the server, when the montage has to change.

Then there's the rollovers. Using a single image will not effect any of these image rollovers. Using any number of techniques you could achive the same results. If you still have the same number of block elements or anchors with transparent backgrounds and then using the :hover selector you could use a filter to handle the shading.

Ths would make browsing the site much more flexable. Either way it's a great place with some really cool stuff

Please don't think I'm ranting or being rude, just somthing simple that I noticed that would have some great improvments for everyone.

Andy

http://km0.la

Last edited by km0ti0n; May 29th, 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Typos!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you really sure about that?

For me, the only noticable load times for a forum page are:
    1. when the page is being requested, when it is generated on the server, before I can see anything
    2. (down)loading/rendering the actual "body" of a page (for a thread page that would be all posts and any images attached to those posts)

The top bar loads immediately (since it is cached).

I am not sure that one image will be much of an improvement over many smaller as the compression won't work as well as for separate images. (I haven't really tested this though, so I'm not 100% sure) Yes, it will keep the number of http requests down, which is a good thing, but I'm just not sure if it's worth spending time on that now if that is the only gain. There are IMHO much worse problems to take care of now.

But still, thanks for the suggestion! We'll keep it in mind

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.