Sketchbook: Art of Grief - Page 11
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Art of Grief

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! Very unique and individual... been said before, but your graphic sense is terrific. The figures somehow manage to feel very graphic and stylized, but totally natural at the same time.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CCThrom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm yummy, still having those nice sketches!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to erik-jan v/d schuur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow killer beans' an your stuff from the draw everyone look like is wicked as well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice style

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Joce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the kind words.

previous image progress
    Name:  pow21_hug2.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  118.7 KB
    nudie photo ref, naturally. as i don't have girls at my disposal for poses like that ._.

Last edited by Grief; March 19th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are so few girls worth the delicacy of a proper kiss.

Name:  frek_small.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  288.6 KB
    Name:  skull copy.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  98.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 of 6 pages
    text will be inserted later.

Name:  POW_week_21_pg1_small.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  313.7 KB
    Name:  POW_week_21_pg4_small.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  268.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there good sir!
    I've been watching your SB for some time now, and I don't believe I've ever commented...
    So here I am.
    Like it's been said (but saying it again doesn't hurt), you have a great graphic sense, I really like how both simple forms and total chaos coexist in your work.
    I love the girls you've been drawing lately, especially the faces, like you're really making them in your own way, less anime but still simple and graphic.
    I'm not really liking your last POW though (the one on page 10), it feels too rushed. I don't see those interesting lines and shapes I see in your other work.
    But I can't wait to see that next one though, it looks really nice.

Also, I've read your "story time" on page 5 and really found it inspiring. I'm not just saying it, I really felt better knowing that others also thought about what art meant to them personally.

So thanks for sharing your thoughts and art, can't wait for more!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SeB C BiEn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with you on the pow comic SeB C BiEn. i'm not investing myself into it properly. as though i'm putting my toes into water timidly.

here's 4 of 5 pages, i should have the last one following soon.

Name:  POW_week_21_pg1_f.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  335.3 KB
    Name:  POW_week_21_pg2_f.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  352.0 KB
    Name:  POW_week_21_pg3_f.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  295.2 KB
    Name:  POW_week_21_pg4_f.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  339.9 KB

i actually wanted it to be more disjointed, irregular, and inconsistent, but instead kept telling myself to make it lyrical. i keep having arguments with myself about leaving things vague, not being shy about being unresolved, and keeping things fleeting and confusing. it bothers me when people try to be as literal and representational as possible. at the same time i fear drowning into a sea of complete obscurity, where abstractions melt into non-representation and nothing can be grasped from my time creating.

i think we're all kicking our feet trying to keep afloat.
    but i'd like to know the depths before i climb ashore.

sorry, i'm tired and rambling.

[edit] ugh i hate the dialogue's flow, i'll probably re-write it before i submit it to POW. also there's a handful of photo ref's used as usual.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the expos you have show, they are quite interesting, well all i can say is keep up the good work!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionese For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=123

I read the whole thing. Interesting. Hope you are feeling better and every step of the way you discover yourself a bit more.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice black and white, theme... keep it up man. MORE EXPERIMENTAL!!

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

23. The Following User Says Thank You to l0stinth0ughts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice POW that one, and I agree with you, it's good leaving some things vague and obscure, so the reader can fill in the blanks.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SeB C BiEn For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dewd

Great experimentation stuff, very interesting.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my deepest thanks for the comments guys, i really do appreciate the feedback and encouragements.

here's a teaser of my POW22 comic, in the style and spririt of Cromartie Highschool.
    Name:  POW_week_22_pg1_f.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  410.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, there's a whole lot of improvement from the first page to this page, good job [insert mutilated version of 'grief']!

Oh and Cromartie
    I am so very excited
    that comic is pure gold

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hapun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done Grief (or Joe?) like Hapun I can see improvement too, especially in how you build a narrative structure. That last comic almost feels like you've knicked a storyboard from a David Lynch film, the esoteric story, the fact it throws you in the deep end, the angle choices. It's all there.

Whilst I feel you're ambition in the comic further up isn't quite met, it's essentially a very hard thing to do. Getting a narrative to seem disjointed, whilst all the panels are being tied together to a key theme. By the way if you want to get used to disjointed narrative structures, have you ever read the Atrocity Exhibition by JG Ballard?

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kagemusha22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i found this post of mine on another forum from back in 2007 and decided to share it in my conceptart sketchbook, don't take it seriously, as its mostly for entertainment and not at all how i actually feel about the models.

i was eating dinner and flipping through my mail when i came across a Victoria's Secret cataloge. i think to myself "hey these things are notorious for guy's jerking off to them", and well it's allegedy supposed to have the world's most attractive women as models.

anyway i was staring down the models and i became confused. this is a joke right?
    this cataloge had, at best, mildly attractive women, and awful fashion.
    i'm talking raver-goth-in-fishnet-shirt-and-cargo-pants bad.

in the venue of vice's fashion critiques i present the horrors of 'sexy' apparel:

this is the official look of date rape. what did the photographer want it to look like she's slipping in and out of consciousness? shit, i think i should be calling the hospital, but i'm too damn distracted by that joke of a bra, what the fuck is that thing?

okay this is the coolest shirt ever, you could sneak so much shit into a movie theater in the belly of that thing.

a Unicorn (driving a car made of lace) left tiretracks down her back.

this girl looks like what i imagine every female radio voice to look like. whats more impressive than the shirt is the coat hanger needed to hang this atrocity, the fucker has to be two feet wide at least. fuck.

i've seen Hulk Hogan rip that shirt in half about a thousand times. she should do the same and put it out of it's misery.

jesus lady, i never knew hanging things off a delicate bakini bottom could be so hot. it'd be better if it was a NES Zapper Gun though. the shirt has a good cut to it, but goddam, that intensity of pink is making bunny rabbits cry, tone it the fuck down. youre attractive, and youre not wearing pants for chrissake, you dont need an atomic radiating pink shirt for any more attention.

"Where in the fuck is the rest of this shirt guys?"

this is the female version of the professional wrestler Edge.
    100% classy.

that shirt is the color of blue if you melted a smurf into a crayon. and nice complementary pairing with the orange bakini bottom. really, do you realize your eye is instantly drawn to the orange because of the contrast? thanks everyone is staring at your groin, mission accomplished.

she's wearing my grandma's pillowcase as a dress, no joke.

you might be the hottest girl at the renaissance fair, but everywhere else, you just look like a gypsie twat with no standards in what you drape over your skanky body.

cowboy hats have never been attractive, on anyone, ever.

this is why the egyptians didn't use colored syran-wrap for their mummies. and what the fuck? why are you carrying a bag like you were out shopping, youre on the beach, did a seaturtle sell you some cute shoes or something? no? then leave the fucking props for another photo.

i can't decide on this dress, on one hand it looks like the underbelly of an insect, but i still want to touch it because i know theres no way you could ever iron out the wrinkles without leaving weird press lines on it. is this a one time dress or something?

cool a dress that looks like every beach hazard all at once.
    black dripping tar and oil colored, with fish-choking netting. this is like the ultimate "fuck-you" to PETA, and she knows it. look at her, the evil bitch, she knows it.

oh right, thanks for reminding us all to sexually abuse our secretaries. for a second i was seeing business attire as professional and not garb for our lust. smack that ass and let her know her work around the office is appreciated!

your shorts are too goddam timid for me. they cant decide if they want to be above the knee or below. make up your mind. if you want to wear capri's then do it. a skirt would work too. but these demi-shorts gotta go lady.

this girl is so evil. she totally looks like she's laid back and chill, and so you walk up to her and your eyes are drawn to the coolest hooded sweatshirt you've ever seen. and she's all "what are you looking at?" and you try to play it off like you weren't staring at her chest, but you were cause the sweater is so damn cool, and she has the greatest personality ever, but you'll never know it because she just blew you off and threw her drink in your perverted face. she repeats the process to other men for kicks and is secretly already married or something, so you shouldnt even waste your time to begin with.

somehow i can only see women around 55 years old wearing this on a sunday. anyone else that has it on might as well be fair game to get their ass tackled for bad color choices.

okay, so that looks like the worlds most comfortable clothes to just lounge around in. so why the fuck are you at the beach? all i can think about is getting sand in the soft texture and not all of it comming out even after you put in in the wash a few times, fuck you just ruined the outfit. here's what you should be doing with that on: go over to some guys apartment and watch movies with him all night on his couch. those clothes should only be touched by blankets and teddy bears, not the damn beach.

dammit and this girl was about to take off her shirt to show us that you can wear it inside out as a different color, but then the photographer startled her and she scampered off into the sea where she belonged, never to return. the elusive girl with style escapes.

"but jean-beniot, i dont want to wear this shirt it makes my chest look flat, find another shirt for me" and the photographer was all "fuck it, we'll make this an ass-shot"

how many guys are attracted to zebra bakinis? and the gold holy-fuck-sized metal loop earrings? okay, AND the pink faced alcoholic look?

here's a secret: this girl is what every guy imagines he'd look like if he was a girl.
    but guys are morons. the color contrast of golden skin versus the water background would work of the forground had more texture than the environment, the eye is in a constant battle rummaging around. the patterns on the bakini have no unity in color and are chaotic and ill-planned. get a color family, stick with it, and tie it into the photograph subtly. and you're not hot because youre wet. dry yourself off, you can't play nintendo with me if youre getting my apartment all soaked.

okay lady, i wont argue, youre good looking. but you fail on so many aesthetic choices that i could never have a conversation with you without thinking "man, its a shame you're a fucking idiot". the bakini's colors look like the early nineties, and all i am reminded of is Murphy Brown. and i hate being reminded of that show. horizontal stripes are not flattering. i dont care if you have a smoking hot body, they don't work for you, or anyone, so dont do it. and those earrings, what the fuck!? no one is allured by the fact that you have a nautical rarity of gargantuan proportions dangling from your ears. they don't look comfortable, so take them off.

get a smaller necklace. fuck.

i know what you're thinking... this girl is wearing my old video camera's storage bag as a swimsuit. and you're right, she is.

it's okay i had to do a double-take on this picture also to see if she had a moustache too. she doesn't, but her upper lip IS slowly taking over all of the planes of her face.

oh man, it's like 1986 just vomited every swimsuit model all at once, then gave her the world's most disgusting tits. when your knockers are that gross, it's probably a good idea to have good posture, otherwise it looks like your left tit is so heavy that its pulling down your collar-bone. sit up straight if you can with those nasty things.

you can read her pajamas... or better yet she could get a personality and you could talk to one another.
    jeezus, she looks like a zombie. zombies are kinda cool in the right context. but she aint' that context.

made from 100% Gumby hide.

please lady, don't make any sudden movements or you will erupt from that joke of a nightgown. one drawback to being a freak of plastic surgery is the fact you cant wear anything you want and expect to be comfortable. i know you're pissed, i would be too if i had to wear the shrapnel of a curtain.

i hope this isn't supposed to be a lustful gaze, because i'm enjoying it much more as "you just told her you had cheesecake in the other room and she's about to ram passed you to go eat it". the sheer nightie is hit or miss. the top does have weird lines which directly point to where the nipples ought to be. thanks for the directions seamstress. but really, you can just wear a t-shirt to bed. it doesnt fucking matter if you have a slutty/sexy nightie which is see-through.

yikes, that's the same color as Squirtle the Pokemon. and i can totally see your nipple and how big it is. i'm so confused right now about what's going on here, i'm just going to back away.

do me a favor. either trim up the eyebrow a bit, or part your hair a little over to the side more. cause right now i'm getting an implied unibrow cause i can't see where it ends.

the underoos are a win. the shirt is good. but c'mon girl, make a choice here: smaller bra or bigger shirt? it doesnt work when i can see it underneath. it's like wrapping a christmas present halfway, there's no surprise if i already know what's inside without shaking it. also tell your friend i'm not staring at her butt for the cute message, so she doesn't need to waste my time with catch phrases.

how about you wear MORE eye shadow and go all out for that caveman brow look you have going. geezus, your eyes are so beady down there i'm wondering if they're going to shoot fire at me. also that pale foam green doesnt go with your skin color. or anyone's skin color for that matter.

cute bra. nice accent of pink on it, nothing too flashy. but i gotta ask... why is your head not on your neck properly? it's freaking me out.

ive seen that exact bow on a hundred teddy bears, and it looked a lot better on them sadly. she looks like she's wearing tissue paper. it's like 10 different people designed this in seperate pieces, and none of them had ever seen a night-gown... or a woman.

10% girl. 90% airbrush.

either she's drugged, just woke up, or had a lobotomy, this girl looks like a mess. woman, your eyes arent even looking the same direction, and one is more closed than the other. this is so far from attractive its comical. i fully expect to see stitches on her forehead to show where the frontal lobe was removed. try to look like youre not slipping into a coma from being so damn bland.

she's wearing a mexican restaurant's wall paintings from 1991.

it's no wonder i'm single,
    -grief

Last edited by Grief; April 7th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.

34. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your POW entry is beautiful...really looking forward to the fifth page. Thanks so for those Victoria's Secret comments, too! That is an impressively ugly collection of clothing...

36. The Following User Says Thank You to courtyard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if art doesn't work out for you I see that comedy might be an option. Anyways, great job on the comic pages they've got a really nice flow.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Flare West For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahah! Hilarious ranting about VS! ;D

And you do have very nice artwork here too! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs

~Em

----------------

Beware, it's a crappy Sketchbook.

"We are all heroes! You and me and Boo..."

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Dandilion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    madd skills the b&w's hot an that last post made me cry a lil'

42. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You sir are messed up. But keep drawing and I like your ink. I would like to see different kinds of mediums though.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Samuel Gray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Gray View Post
    I would like to see different kinds of mediums though.
    this line caught me off guard, could you please elaborate a bit on what sort of mediums you feel i havent tackled (and maybe should). i'm always open to new ways of expressing ideas.

much thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I remember your piece from the battle of the sexes and of course you sold it!!! Your work rocks so hard and I am a fan of you!!!!!! So extreme! You should always work in natural medium and throw your computor away, just joking but even the moles are great... I don't think I've been here before? but nice and can I say more, no. Thanks for all of the black beautiful lines and accents. you rock!!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aw shucks thanks kelly.

update on me:

last week i arrived in portland oregon with a portfolio of work, backpack full or art supplies, an army blanket, and a couple changes of clothes. i'm living in an 8 foot by 6 foot closet.

its an amazing city. i spend most of my day exploring and filling out applications for awful retail jobs. the galleries are not interested in reviewing new work, and there is a two year waiting list even if i could manage to convince a place to show my work.

i accquired a free decade-old-laptop, and it can't really handle photoshop, but i am able to steal internet wirelessly to troll the forums. i have access to a nearly broken scanner, but it washes out the highlights and higher key values.

things are a bit sloppy and erratic. its hard to produce expressive art without a place to properly work. i'm getting by and trying to keep busy in my sketchbook.

life is good, i'm anxious about the potential of the future.

heres some ink and pencil. various girly photo ref.

Name:  04_17_09.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  251.5 KB
    Name:  04_16_09.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  190.0 KB
    Name:  0.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  88.0 KB
    Name:  0 001.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  120.1 KB
    Name:  0 002.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  118.3 KB
    Name:  0 003.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  155.2 KB
    sorry again for the washed out poor scans :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice update, especially like the first one and 2 last ones.
    Good luck in your new city, it will surely be an exciting experience.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to SeB C BiEn For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4