Sketchbook: {insert Random Videogame Reference here}

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

{insert Random Videogame Reference here}

I moved everything further down.
    Always make sure to check the last page!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nquyet; November 22nd, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a very nice and clean style. I like your usage of calligraphic lines... I think you could push that even more maybe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woh, nice line drawing there. And I really liked that "Ryu" don't know if it is him but. It would've been great to see it colored. =)

My sketchbook Feel free to comment & crit how much you want. I will just be happy to read comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is Ryu and I did color the picture, but it turned out horrible, so I didn't post it.

Seems like inking is my strongest part so far. Any advice for coloring noobies?

Last edited by Nquyet; October 9th, 2008 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!
    Here's some self-portraits and sketches I did for practice this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the line-work on the first piece but I don't like how the guys robe just all of a sudden vanishes at the bottom. Kinda strange.

Your sketchwork is very light and subtle, maybe you should try and push the values in them even more.

Add some more depth and value contrast, like dark darks and light lights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, i really like your work here. You got a very nice, clean line and also good proportion on your figures. You just seem to be afraid of adding real height and depth to your images. Nearly all your characters are missing muscles and self shadows. Id suggest you just learn to fill those silhouettes with proper topology, then nothing can stop ya
    Oh, and i love the hand and mirror studies!

cheers, ye nuke

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nuki View Post
    hey, i really like your work here. You got a very nice, clean line and also good proportion on your figures. You just seem to be afraid of adding real height and depth to your images. Nearly all your characters are missing muscles and self shadows. Id suggest you just learn to fill those silhouettes with proper topology, then nothing can stop ya
    Oh, and i love the hand and mirror studies!

cheers, ye nuke
    That made my day. Thanks!

I tied giving my old self-portrait some depth using sepia-not sure if its any good though. I need to get over my fear of shadows first.

Oh, and there's another mirror study too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'd try to get away from an anime style for a while.. it seems to be showing up in everything here. its fine to have a style, but be capable of other styles. looking good for what you have though. nice line quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! You do really nice inks! I'm totally impressed!

Very nice faces, too! I notice, however, that when you do skeleton VS fleshed-in faces, it's like the face has lost the bone structure that came before it! Maybe when you draw the face after the skeleton, you could lightly sketch in the broader parts of that skeleton to get a better idea of the face's shape and structure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stonercurly View Post
    i'd try to get away from an anime style for a while.. it seems to be showing up in everything here. its fine to have a style, but be capable of other styles. looking good for what you have though. nice line quality.
    Don't worry, I abandoned anime style a long time ago.
    These anime doodles are a few years old. I only posted them for reference.

I notice, however, that when you do skeleton VS fleshed-in faces, it's like the face has lost the bone structure that came before it! Maybe when you draw the face after the skeleton, you could lightly sketch in the broader parts of that skeleton to get a better idea of the face's shape and structure
    Yeah, I noticed too. It's probably because I refer to an anatomy book for the skeleton and a mirror for the face.
    Good advice, though. I''l try it

Anyway, I came across this interesting fruit yesterday and decided to try and paint it. It sucks, but I need to get over my fear of painting so bear with me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I suggest bigger ears since you seem to be used to drawing anime a lot and small ears was normal? Usually the bottom of the ear aligns with he bottom of the nose and blah blah, all that good stuff.

Advice on coloring? Hmm...my suggestion is if you want to color, make sure you've got a good contrast, as in lights and darks. Don't make an image with the background too bright, that's what I've learned since it deterred the quality (unless you're really good enough to make it stand out :happy: ). That's really vague, yeah, but it means like make shadows dark and lights light to make an image stand out more instead of closer to middles. Then again I'm not the best at this stuff knowledge-wise, just from the advice I was given.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A nude study I did last night instead of industrial design homework.
    I'll fill it with tones and once I get some time in my hands.
    No face 'cause letting my teachers know I'm using myself as a nude model is embarassing at the very least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great line work. I'm glad to see that you've chosen to abandon the anime style. I've seen to many people trapped in that style with no intentions of developing their own style. your figure studies looks great, especially the last one.

keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see why you should be embarrassed about using yourself as a nude model in your case. If you've got it, flaunt it!!! Haha!

(hope that didn't come out wrong :p )

Anyhow, you've got great stuff going on here! Proportions are ok, Anatomy's not so visible at the moment, but that will change I'm sure. What really strikes me is how clean your lines are lol. Mine are always so messy because I rub and rub and rub. Like someone else said. Push your values, and everything suddenly become ten times better I'm sure.

Good work! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, welcome!

your works are nice, and glad you're not shy about posting your stuff. don't ever be. in terms of anatomy study, do you have any books that you use to study from? drawing from life is really important as well, but knowing the underlying structure will help give your works better proportion (not that it's not pretty good already, but it always helps), more balance and weight (especially on the feet), and itll help you draw faster and be able to complete whatever pose you decide to draw without the need for the model to be there until the end. you have lots of potential, but potential doesnt do anything for you if you don't work at it. also, start doing some still lifes for form work, that will definitely help with your shading people. g'luck dude, we're cheering for you!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Everyone
    Thanks for all the encouragement and crits! It means a great lot to me.

Right now I'm trying to get into college and I'm working hard on my portfolio. Reading your comments keeps me motivated and helps me improve, so thank you again for taking the time to throw a few words at me.

@Renier van der West

Being a manga fan got me stuck in this style for a few years back in high school. Glad I got over it. Originality is extremely important, there's no reason to draw if I'm to make the same old stuff-or at least that's what I think.

There are some manga/anime artists who have developed their own style, though, but they are few.

@CouchPotato
    Keeping my lines clean is a habit I have developed over the years, so it comes naturally to me. However, after drawing like this for so long, I find it hard to draw more freely and mess my lineart. It may sound weird but I sometimes envy other people's messy, sportaneous sketches.
    Btw, what do you mean by "anatomy's not so visible at the moment"?
    Please explain ^^;

@purb36
    Thanks for all your kind words. I'll try harder, I promise.

Anyway, I have an anatomy book and I always take a look at when drawing from imagination to make sure everything's in place. When I draw from life, I usually focus on what I see and try to understand how things work with each pose. Once I get confident enough, I'll try making some half imagined poses as well.

Anyway, here are my latest studies:
    two still lives to practice shading and coloring and another nude study.
    The model is once again me, only this time I cooked up an imaginary face to go with it. I'm still too shy to show my teachers my actual face, so bear with me. I'll get over it someday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...you seem to hold a very soft anatomy style. which is good for a clean lineart. :> *i love your line art*
    [this is more of a personal preference thing below...]
    However, you lack much detail. Even though in your colored ones you have used shadows and bla bla to form a women, there are parts that do give way.
    errr........not sure how to say this.....
    she looks blobish kinda of? and no it's not the missing arm that makes me say things like that. If you used a harder shading or whatever you want to call it, it might define her more.
    As the others said your proportions are a bit off.
    *but damn better than mine*
    I'm concerned about the eyes always being far apart. I think if you just scoot them a tiny but closer they'd look less...odd?

Anyway, I think your great so keep it up~

well fuck...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bokuza
    Thanks for commenting! Glad you like my lineart^^
    I think I understand what you mean about my shading. I guess lack of confidence is my biggest problem. And I need to study anatomy more-drawing people is so damn hard!

Anyway...

...here's some more anatomy practice stuff from me.

This one is a bit more interesting, since I convinced a good friend of mine to pose for me.
    And yes, drawing others is soo much easier than posing for yourself while trying to draw at the same time. Still, trying to make someone else hold still for 5 minutes is a challenge in itself.

I know it looks like the anatomy is a bit off, but before you comment take into consideration the fact that the guy is indeed very tall, with broad, almost female-like, hips.

No big improvements-it still lacks shading-but, worry not, for I'm taking all your comments and advice into consideration and I'll practice shading once I get some free time on my hands
    *goes back into doing homework*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey n-qu,

the last one looks nice. i especially like the feet, which are usually really hard to draw. when drawing from life, make sure you're really paying attention not only to the model, but to your drawing. i know its hard posing for yourself and trying to draw that, just when you are in the middle of it, make sure what you're drawing makes sense. like, in post 17, your first drawing of yourself your left leg is bent, but it seems to cross under your right leg waaaaaaaaay too high up, making your left leg look extreeeeeeeeemely short. im sure it was just an oversight. anyway, i would highly encourage you to get away from regular pencils or mechanical pencils, pick up something that is less precise (like charcoal, or crayons, or chalk, or whatever), and begin working in value and form (lovely apples, btw). i know it wont look as good as your linework, but in time your ability to describe things will be a hundred if not 1000 times better. i struggle with this at the moment; i used to do everything in line, but ive been trying to get away from that recently. its really hard and frustrating sometimes, but my works are indeed getting much better already, so im glad. i hope to see more works from you. start with simple forms, and start shading!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re:

For the apple study try to have the background play a role in the light source. Right now it's one flat value...which takes away from the apple study because it makes it look like a cut out.

I like how you draw your faces soft in expression. The male model above, his face is a bit fem though.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; June 19th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for commenting in my sketch book.

It's really good that you use yourself as a life model and even posting the result here takes courage. I'm looking forward to your progress, so keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo! I'm back!
    Sorry for the long absence, I've been making nothing but sketches lately-not really worth posting imo, but I finally decided to post them anyway.

Anyway, here's a few sketches for costumes and stuff for three of my OCs.
    There's an interesting backround story to them, so once I'm done with their character sheets, I plan on putting the story down to paper and illustrate it myself (sounds pretty ambitious, I know, but I'll do my best).

note to self:
    Alistair's left leg looks horrible. Need to fix it ASAP

Last edited by Nquyet; July 26th, 2007 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and some random drawings of angels and demons, as well as a couple of people studies
    (what do you know? I actually filled my lineart with grey values. Yay me..)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I came across this cute angel statue at home and thought drawing it would be good practice. Turned out ok, maybe I'll make something out of it someday.

Digital Ink, done in Photoshop CS2.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    your colored stuff comes out very nice, id like to see more of that! =) try to shade more of your sketches, even if its just the extreme darks. i think youll learn more =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More OC stuff.
    Hopefully I'll post something more than sketches soon. Some college entry portfolio work too-as soon as I get off my lazy ass and bother scanning them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool dude. character sketches are looking good, cherub statue looks nice too. good to see you started using value to describe forms and stuff. keep it up; the more you do it the better you'll get. those two look really nice, btw. REALLY nice; best stuff you've done. keep it coming. talk to you soon!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Major Update! Woohoo!
    I'm considering these pieces for my college entrance portfolio. What do you people think? I could really use some constructive criticism now, so don't be shy. Criticize away!

So what do we have here?
    1. collage (fruits basket, somewhat of a magic picture
    2. collage (serenity and tempest, 2 pieces presented as one)
    3. 4. 5. negative sketches (white pencil on black paper)
    6. 8. a chair and a lamp (pencil)
    7. 10. two friends of mine (pencil)
    9. my feet (pencil, this goes together with some hands sketches I posted in my 1# post)
    11. 12. sea and soil (non-representational art, I used many different materials to make these)

That's not all, of course. More pieces are soon to come^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have potential. I like all your work except for the Ryu (On there I like the tree though ). You're doing a lot of things right. Keep moving and you'll get better later

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.