C.O.W. - #087: Razor Fly
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #087: Razor Fly

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #087: Razor Fly

Round #087

Topic:
    Razor Fly

Deadline:
    Saturday, 02nd June 2007

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Attachment 17332

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fozzybar; June 5th, 2007 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx to electric goat for that inspiring topic

ADDITIONAL INFO

- The creature must be a fly!!! Housefly, Firefly, Dragonfly, Bee...everything is ok as long as it is a flying insect which isn't too far away from the term of a fly

- Include the razor aspect in a cognizable form. Sharp, deadly, dangerous, not necessarily made of metal, actually try to avoid making it of metal imho....because fireflies don't have flames for example....so razor should only be the name for something which reminds of a razor or its function...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting topic. One state away from me, a massive plague of cicadas called Brood XIII is about to rise from underground, threatening to drown out cell phone conversations and even one large Chicago music festival (which they postponed) with their shrill calls. I guess one cicada can emit up to 90 decibels of shreek.

I'm kind of sad their kind doesn't reach very far into Minnesota. I'm sure their few weeks in the sun is really something to behold and hear.

There are 15 such broods in the middle of the US, all of which lay dormant for 17 years (on rotating cycles)...They emerge, molt, eat, mate and then go back underground... they don't bite or sting, but maybe I can use them as a basis for my concept... a secret brood SIXTEEN... maybe developed as a weapon by the government... maybe just a mutant brood that emerges and isn't so harmless after all...

Very cool topic...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm... interesting.. not many ways to go.. but ill give it some thought this time hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome to have you back Fozz~!~

This one will be harder then the last few we've had...*googles insects*~

Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    Interesting topic. One state away from me, a massive plague of cicadas called Brood XIII is about to rise from underground, threatening to drown out cell phone conversations and even one large Chicago music festival (which they postponed) with their shrill calls. I guess one cicada can emit up to 90 decibels of shreek.

I'm kind of sad their kind doesn't reach very far into Minnesota. I'm sure their few weeks in the sun is really something to behold and hear.

There are 15 such broods in the middle of the US, all of which lay dormant for 17 years (on rotating cycles)...They emerge, molt, eat, mate and then go back underground... they don't bite or sting, but maybe I can use them as a basis for my concept... a secret brood SIXTEEN... maybe developed as a weapon by the government... maybe just a mutant brood that emerges and isn't so harmless after all...

Very cool topic...
    I know of these firsthand- there is one here in southeastern Ohio. I was out of the country at the time- but I hear that it was absolutely disgusting.

Another swarming insect is the Mayfly. Up by lake Erie they get them in mass during the summer time, and each of them lives for only 1 day. their dead bodies coat the roads and their slippery innards make driving difficult- so they city brings out snow plows!

TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Down here in Florida we have what are called Love Bugs who swarm twice a year. Here.

They're currently covering my car They go splat onto it leaving various disgusting white marks while you're driving that are nearly impossible to clean off. They're season is almost done now though...~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah
    I feel like making an emo fly

this all should be fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiya everybody
    first time doing the COW thing .. so imma take it easy and start simple

These flies are attracted by the smell of blood, just like sharks, when the prey is wounded, many others will follow the scent of blood and join the chase. They swoop down on the prey at high speed and perform a dipping motion with their abdomen razors, which results in a deep cut causing severe bleeding. Each cut bleeds and weakens the prey, while adding more flies to the chase. At the end there would only be an exhausted prey covered by thousands of moving green shapes while its flesh is slowly being torn away.

Last edited by JCai; June 3rd, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to have you back Fozz. We were all a little worried about ya. Hope your trip was cool.

Ok, this has been a long time coming. Finally finished college and so now I can do the things I've been missing out on such as COW. So without further ado, let's get some ideas flowing with a brainstorm.

First, the fly aspect. As Fozzy stated, the creature has to have a resemblance to some form of winged insect that is similar in morphology to the common housefly. That means you should probably avoid things like butterflies, moths, beetles, dragonflies, etc. Proper flies fall under the order Diptera (meaning two wings). There are two suborders under Diptera. The first is Nematocera. This group includes mosquitoes, crane flies, black flies, gnats, and midges. The second suborder is Brachycera. This group includes hunch-back flies, robberflies, bee-flies, snipeflies, windowflies, soldierflies, horseflies, stiletto flies, awl-flies, wood-soldierflies, etc. Brachycera includes a massive number of species and the ones I've listed here cover only a few. However Wikipedia has alot of information, so that would be a good place to start. In order for it to classify as a fly however, it has two have two certain characteristics. Two pairs of wings, as mentioned above and two halteres. Halteres are small nobby protrusions that are rapidly flapped to main balance.

Ok, well that covers the more scientific portion of things. Flies have such a huge number of species that all you really need to do is a little image hunting and the creature will almost design itself to a degree. The second portion however is the aspect of the razor. A razor of course is simply a thin, sharpened blade. In this case it doesnt matter about the shape or size as long as it fits believably within the creatures morphology. Dont create a fly that has huge razor protruding from its head. It wouldnt be able to use it and it would be unable to fly. You have to consider things like weight and aerodynamics in this case. The creature must retain the quick flight movement and maneuverability associated with flies. Also consider why does this insect have razor-like appendages or protrusions. How does it use them? Does the insect naturally occur in a swarm much like mosquitoes? Because of the razors is the swarm able to kill much larger creatures than you would imagine an insect could kill? Perhaps they are like flying pirhana. Quickly flying in a stripping the flesh from much larger organisms very quickly. Or perhaps the razors are used in battles between males of the species to decide mating hierarchy. Maybe the term razor refers to the shape of the insect. It might have a very thin body structure that resembles a blade. Also keep in mind that any razor structure should be organic in make-up. Like the Fozz said, avoid metal. Thankfully insects have hard outer shells and so razor composed of chitin or some other organic hard substance would be fairly plausible.

Well that about covers it. Hope this helped and provided a jumping off point for someone. Brainstorm complete. Nexus out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YEAH...and in Sweden we have mosquitos... and sometimes there are more then five of them visible at once... Now, that's a sight for bards to sing of. Itch... You see, that's why I always ask American tourists why the hell they've come to Sweden. Name any one thing, and you guys got more of it, and in bigger versions... (that includes the bad stuff, I fear...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Atheists. We don't have more atheists in the US, and all of yours are bigger than the ones we have.

(calls travel agent, books flight.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch Ink CG1 CG2 CG3
    " The Razor Fly spends most of it's time sifting through various scrap yards, collecting bits of aluminum and other soft metals in which it uses it's acidic saliva to melt down and form a very fashionable but deadly helmet, fully equiped with a set of sharp and deadly razors for which the species aquired it's name. The only thing more spectacular then to witness a rare Razor Fly, is to behold two Razor Flys whose paths have crossed, for a fight to a death ensues and only one Razor Fly may emerge victorious, the other left for death.
    The Razor Fly is in truth, not a fly at all, but a species similar to that of the Damsel Fly. Due to the species' unsual desire to collect metal and continually expand the razors on it's helmet, the common Razor Fly lives no longer then a few months, most often dieing from severe battles with other Razor Flys or the fact that partial metals are digested as it creates it's helmet. "

Never thought I'd finish this ~

Last edited by Sangmort; June 2nd, 2007 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus
    hehe, again the information unit strikes

When seeing your post and reading it i imagine this flying brain in the anime series "Captain Future", dunno if it is known out there, but in Germany it was the number one animation series of my childhood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MJ: Hehe... Perhaps, if you mean percentage of the population, but not in actual people. Heading over to Sweden during my vacation to see some atheists... I hear they're quite big this time of year. (No don't go there... haven't you heard? About the razor-flies?)
    Actually Michael, rethink the plain-ticket. I'm off to Glenwood Springs, Colorado in a few weeks. Perhaps I can bring you some atheists for your fancy? It's a cheaper flight...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, this is an interesting topic. I think, I'll give it a try...haha, I'm new on this cow thing and I hope I'm getting it on time...

Sangmort: Looks quite interesting with this spikes on its head...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloister:

Hee hee. We'll since about sixty percent of your population is reportedly atheist and about 5ish percent of mine is, you may well have more in volume as well as proportion.

Colorado should be nice this time of year. If you want mosquitoes though, go in August. We have plenty in Minnesota, but the largest swarm I've ever walked (or rather, rode a horse) through was at the base of a mountain trail near in the Frisco/Silver Springs area. There were so many I'm surprised my eyes weren't bitten. One more symptom of climate change is a mosquitoes ability to ascend and infest higher altitudes. You shouldn't have a problem with it this early though. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Macar View Post
    I know of these firsthand- there is one here in southeastern Ohio. I was out of the country at the time- but I hear that it was absolutely disgusting.

Another swarming insect is the Mayfly. Up by lake Erie they get them in mass during the summer time, and each of them lives for only 1 day. their dead bodies coat the roads and their slippery innards make driving difficult- so they city brings out snow plows!
    Actually, Macar, I read Ohio takes part in several Broods on rotating years. The next one, Brood XIV should hit Ohio next summer. In fact, of the three or so I could see reach up into Ohio, Brood XIV looks like it covers the most area (almost all southern Ohio.)

Enjoy your 2008... or plan on buying your own plane ticket to Sweden then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love Creature of the Week.

FINAL design and nearly final painting:

Started over. Ignore my previous work in progress.

So, five billion years into the future, fruit flies will have shed their wings in favor of limbs for climbing out of the sea to lay their eggs. The only land in this futuristic world is sharp rock spires, on which many an ocean-dweller is tossed during a hurricane. These ocean-going Razor Flies climb out of the water to lay their eggs on the rotting corpses of hapless creatures. Their exoskeletons have toughened and sharpened to help them cope with the endlessly pummeling ocean, and new predators that stalk the ocean. They live in a world completely covered by shallow waters...Earth beyond the time of humans.

Links to initial sketches:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...k/IMG_0512.jpg
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...k/IMG_0511.jpg

Last edited by Desperata; June 2nd, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
    When you go somewhere good, take me with you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by InFlame View Post
    Sangmort: Looks quite interesting with this spikes on its head...
    Thnx, I was thinking...razor that you shave with, meaning multiple blades? ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sangmort--I like your line variation and how the bug seems to have skin and muscles. Those light, delicate curls on its helmet are so pretty! I hope that, in your final draft, there's reference to how big the pointy dragonfly is, like a leaf or two.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bright blue. It might work in smaller doses, as highlights!

When you go somewhere good, take me with you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im gona try and get in on this been drawing flies and bugs allday at work anyway. i figured id be nice and give a link to a great buggy ref.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/3/bgpage
    its actualy for identafying bugs but if ya click on the name it will take you to more bugs of that catagory

heres what i got so far. havent really designed anything just been drawing flys to get then hang of it.

redrew and played with one of me bugs in ps

Last edited by joelhinxman; May 27th, 2007 at 02:30 AM.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperata View Post
    Hey Sangmort--I like your line variation and how the bug seems to have skin and muscles. Those light, delicate curls on its helmet are so pretty! I hope that, in your final draft, there's reference to how big the pointy dragonfly is, like a leaf or two.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bright blue. It might work in smaller doses, as highlights!
    Thnx~!~ Yeah, I want to try and do a model sheet if I can ...The blue I don't love so much either, I'm going from memory from seeing dragonflies / damselflies [or would it be flys? ] up close and you see that one intense color over the other. I'm going to have to play with the color sceme some more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloister Im a Colorado Athiest and Michael its been a ruff year for Colorado weather wise but its starting to get nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, THIS is cool. I haven't done a COW in a while, and I think it's time to make a return.

Michael:
    I'm originally from El Paso, TX, and when the cotton fields around my house would be irrigated, we'd get DROVES of mosquitoes. But when the fields dried, the cicadas would be awoken out of the ground, and fill the air with their lovely song. My ears are bleeding just thinking of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just started sketching.... here's what I've got

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and here i was, drawing butterflys today, blissfully unaware of the new topic posting....

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final:
    Razor Fly (aka: The Reaper)

The Razor Fly, also known as the Reaper, is a fat but dangerous parasite. Using it's finely honed talons, the Reaper will slice trenches into it's victims and lay it's eggs. Once the eggs are laid, the Razor Fly will suture the wound with a thick but sterilized goo. The eggs suck in as much nutrients from the embedded creature, usually causing necrosis. Once the site begins to fester the eggs have just hatched, the Reaper will return to break the skin of the victim and harvest it's young. The larvae will attach themselves to the Reaper and they will move onto another site of the creature. The experience of being struck by the Razor Fly is quite a painful one. Many slow moving animals, such as livestock, cannot protect their exposed backside, often find themselves the victim. Farmers lose countless dollars from the meat that is ruined by these pestilential parasites.

Last edited by corspufo; June 3rd, 2007 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to join in if it is okay with all of you?

This is the family I will contribute to (taken from our favourite website, wikipedia):

Flies in the Diptera family Asilidae are commonly known as robber flies. The family Asilidae contains about 7,100 described species worldwide. All robber flies have stout, spiny legs, a dense moustache of bristles on the face (mystax), and 3 simple eyes (ocelli) in a characteristic depression between their two large compound eyes. The mystax helps protect the head and face when the fly encounters prey bent on defense. The antennae are short, 3-segmented, sometimes with a bristle-like structure called an arista. The short, strong proboscis is used to stab and inject victims with saliva containing neurotoxic and proteolytic enzymes which paralyze and digest the insides; the fly then sucks the liquefied meal through the proboscis. Many species have long, tapering abdomens, sometimes with a sword-like ovipositor. Others are fat-bodied bumble bee mimics. Adult robber flies attack other flies, beetles, butterflies and moths, various bees, dragon and damselflies, ichneumon wasps, grasshoppers, and some spiders.

This is what some look like (above it mentions there are 7100 speices in this family, so quite a wide selection of refereance material):

When I first read the title of this workshop, I thought of a mech-like creature with many razor like protrusions. But while thinking and researching I have decided to try and make the creature believable, and hard to distinguish whether it is a real world creature or an imagined one.

i will try to get some drawings in soon as the deadline is only 1 week from now.

UPDATES

Already been through its Alpha stage (drawing on paper), now I have reached the Beta stage and willing to show from here on out my updates. Any suggestions will be duely noted and possibly used to gain a better understanding of the Razor Fly.

Description:

I feel as the title is Razor Fly, I think the creature that I design will also be called this. For my creature I fell it should be able to fit within the family of flies 'Robber Flies' or the scientific name Asilidae. I also feel that the fly needs to have a scientific name to be able to distinguish it better throughout the scientific community, thus I am naming the Razor Fly; Lidaezor.

Lidaezor is a fly unlike others, it eats creatures like the Louse and the Flea. What this fly does is attatch itself to the human/animals hair strands, then waits, still as a rock, and once the prey gets to a certain distance, the Lidaecor pounces and sticks its paralyzing venom into the preys body with the razor sharp spike on the end of its tail.

Of course with the size of this fly that is the only living prey it could hunt. These flies do not grow any bigger than 10mm, and that size is very rarely reached. They are a 'lone-wolf' among the fly kingdom and hunt solo. They can hold out on strands of hair for days without feeding. But once they do become frenzied by hunder, they are terribly weakened but can resort to both cannablism and scavenging dead organisms. At times, but not recommended, they do resort to 'acting' like a flea/louse and feed off the creature they are currently clinging to.

Because of such isolation, these flies are quite healthy and cannot spread the common diseases assosiated with similar flies. However when they do take blood from human/animals through desperation, the animal could contract a fever due to the paralysing toxins within the flies spiked tail.

The Lidaezor is not exception, they too go throught the growing pains of being a maggot and such, however because of their somewhat limited feeding needs they can only be found abundantly where many creatures reside, usually in a city where humans live.

Over time humans have created a resistance towards this creatures toxins and do not ever contract fevers. Thus usually the fly never gets harmed as they are relatively quiet when flying (like shit flies) and do not pose a nuisance.
    --------

I am thinking of creating a perspective view for the final, but still wish to work in profile so I can find all the details, and possibly do an top-down view and a front/back view.

Of course as it is early in development,t he above will be edited and improved as well as the image below:

UPDATE:

The description above has become invalid.

UPDATE:

I have got a general feel for the critter now. I will go into Painter X and paint this fly in 3/4 view in an action shot.

Last edited by Rist; May 29th, 2007 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:: tail is made up of razor-sharp stringy things that is used together as a tail to whip at it's victims. It is red because it is coated with blood... bleh

Razor fly.. eh......... Innntaresting......

Here's what I got so far..

Last edited by jurffy; June 1st, 2007 at 03:10 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.