starting a comic from scratch..tips?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

starting a comic from scratch..tips?

heh all,
    i've been working on a comission of a comic proposal, but am wondering what is the best way to start it?

I am looking for someone in the industry who might be able to enlight me? Is there a certain of way of starting it?

to explain further do you use modelsheets of characters to make sure they stay on model, work out expressions, get all the concept art down, then thumbnail the scenes once happy with thumbnails rough out the pages then clean up?
    any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man.
    You should really check out the book

"The Complete Idiot's Guide To: Creating a Graphic Novel" by Nat Gertler and Steve Lieber

its very well written and a great guide of every aspect.
    As far as I know, you need to start with planning, before drawing.Decide genre, setting then develop the concept, the characters, and something that can catch the readers attention.Build the plot, then break it up into panels.Of course you can do it by writing a good srpit and then helping yourself (or the penciller) with thmbnails of the pages.Then start concepting the characters, the props and settings, and build the chara sheet to make sure you always have handy reference for costumes, expressions and all the rest.
    Dunno how else to help you really cause i don'tknow what you're asking for, but hope it helped.

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you never did any sequential art, start small, maybe with 2-3 pages stories that have no backstory, no modelsheets, straight forward action. Learn how to tell a story that viewers will understand. Then you will be able to asses how much work it is to make a comic series or a graphic novel. Then your planning will be useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at the moment i am working from a script, so the story is written.
    I come from an animation background and find it best to do modelsheets of characters first to make sure they don'y go off model seen it happen in comics a few times, I read the art of hellboy and MIke Mignolia only ever did one modelsheet and that was for some one else to draw the character though I suppose there were a lot of sketches done to nail down the design.

I saw a few reviews for the book Gnoll thanks for the suggestion.

I have a few books on drawing comics ..the marvel way and how to pencil dc way as well as Alan moores writing for comics and one by Laurie Anderson.

Qitsune I studied animation for 3 yrs and part of that was flm theory and narrative so i have so idea of sequential art but have ordered the Will Eisner book. The threads I have posted have all been work I have done on comics small time stuff, either concept design or two three pages continous. Think my last post in crit the art work not my best but not in my style (comission brief was for another artist style) but I think the shots and sequence is strong.

thanks for your comments thus far.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.