Painter X fails to launch
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter X fails to launch

Hi guys,
    i've been using painter for a while but for some reason it fails to launch now. I'm getting an error msg "This copy of painter has been damaged or illegally modified." It is definitely not illegally modified, i've even tried to install the tryout version, with the same result.

I've googled this message and a lot of ppl turned out to have the same experience. However, up to now noone came up with a final solution. Someone suggested to remove the protexis keys from the registry manually, which i did and it worked. But after a reboot i was getting the same error message again.

My config is XP SP2 with intuos 3. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you posted your question on the Corel Painter newsgroups? If not, you might want to try that since this problem has been discussed there several times. Sorry, I don't recall what the solution was.

Add Server: cnews.corel.com

Subscribe to: c.PainterX

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you but it didn't really help. I saw you gave some poor lad the same advice on cgtalk a couple years ago and it didn't help either. Apparently there's noone on this planet, corel support included, who could actually handle this thing.

Reading newsgroups is really a frustrating way to dig out a pice of information and although i've found a thread discussing this error there was nothing useful in it.

This issue is nothing new, it affected previous versions too, as i've learned from old posts on various forums. The clue is the protexis licensing crap but it leaves some junk in the registry or somewhere else that is impossible to remove. Once corrupted your copy of painter will never run again. Unless of course you reinstall your whole system.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shorg View Post
    Thank you but it didn't really help. I saw you gave
    This issue is nothing new, it affected previous versions too, as i've learned from old posts on various forums. The clue is the protexis licensing crap but it leaves some junk in the registry or somewhere else that is impossible to remove. Once corrupted your copy of painter will never run again. Unless of course you reinstall your whole system.
    I was gonna suggest a system restore to a really previous version of an install to see if that helps. Reason I suggest that is if you have a restore old enough, it's possible that it will remove old registry keys.

I remember having a problem with some software and did an old restore.

Of course the problem is, if you installed stuff after the problem, you'll lose them in the process.

I thought I'd mention it since it's worth a shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also I saw this:

[21.Aug.2006] - Out of the blue, Painter IX.5 stopped working with the error message: "This copy of painter has been damaged or illegally modified. Please reinstall from your original disks". This was surprising, and Corel provided the usual support - none. After the typical fixes like reinstalling the software and manually deleting all registry entries related to Corel Painter, the suggested solutions ran thin. The solution in this case was to search for and delete all registry entries called "Protexis". But careful when editing the Registry, the wrong move may wreak havoc on your computer.

[22.Aug.2006] - Corel's official solution to the "This copy of painter has been damaged or illegally modified. Please reinstall from your original disks" seems a little extreme and since Painter is now working I sure did not try it out. But for completeness here it is ...
    1. Click "Create a new account" in the "Pick a task" list box.
    2. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.
    3. Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Note this is a good reason to do back up and not count on restore which you SHOULD turn off it just good way to stay infected and will not fix this problem.

If you have done any back up you can restore the folder and files this may work but the security on this program is set to shut down the program if any parts is changed or deleted or corrupted

There is no tell what part of the program need to be replaced and re-installing will not always work. Corel has not helped but a good back up. I have had to use it once I think I had this happen painter 9 but it was during whole system crash on desktop. If you can get corel to open up tell us how to fix it but they feel this could let people crack or make better patch to let people install the demo and use as the full version. Also if you have ever used one of those patch or key gens and the got legal copy will find that if any modification of the program will kill and lock the program out.

It sucks but this is one of the reason this program cost so much as a lot goes into making it and Corel does not want to give up its secrets and i don't blame them but they need to issue a patch for people who have bought this great program.

I have Ghost and i do back ups of all my programs and I have been able to restore all with no programs so please do not count on restore work as it said and turning it off will give to tons of space back on your HD.

I hope that Corel will fix this soon they did not really help much if you search this out with Painter 9/9.5 re-installing can make this worse so beware of this to. I will check with my friend that was one of the people that company did beta testing a long with Vista on Painter X. they found that if you want to use Painter use XP pro not Vista as you may find that some scanners and printer need to work with Vista will not as well as some graphic cards.

I 'll talk to him later this and see what he thinks.

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shorg View Post
    Thank you but it didn't really help. I saw you gave some poor lad the same advice on cgtalk a couple years ago and it didn't help either. Apparently there's noone on this planet, corel support included, who could actually handle this thing.

Reading newsgroups is really a frustrating way to dig out a pice of information and although i've found a thread discussing this error there was nothing useful in it.

If you haven't done this already, send your report directly to the Corel Painter Development Team at:

painterteam@corel.com

That's the best I can suggest and I believe they'll help you if they can. Feel free to tell them I suggested you contact them for help.

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Corel Painter X Won't Start: Protaxis Licensing Service Fix

Hello All!

I have one solution to this which sometimes works.
    If you're using XP Pro (I'm not sure about Home) try this:

To the Point:
    Go to the MMC (Microsoft Management Console or Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management) and make sure the "ProtexisLicensing" service is STARTED.

ENABLING THE SERVICE: (From Computer Management)

You should have a "Services and Applications" menu on the left and will find "Services" inside it. Look in Services for "ProtaxisLicensing" and double click it. In the first tab (General) make sure the Startup type is set to AUTOMATIC. If Service Status below that says "Stopped", click the START button. Apply the changes, and with luck you should be able to start Corel Paint immediately after. You may need to reset the startup type to Automatic first and then reboot before the service will start.

Here's how to get the console if you can't find Administrative Tools:

Go to START Menu / RUN and type MMC then click OK or hit enter

You should get a window called "Console" probably "Console 1".
    Go to FILE and OPEN

IF you see "Computer Management" right there, open it. Otherwise locate C:\Windows\System32\compmgmt (compmgmt.mmc) and open it.

FYI a lot of Anti-Spyware apps and software firewalls consider Protexis to be a spyware company and will disable the service. Apparently simultaneous installation of Paint Shop Pro with Painter also messes with the Protaxis service. Sometimes. IF this fix applies to you, this may be what happened!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Armand

You can also open "services.mmc" from the console and just get the services menu directly, but why bother with that when you can have the whole lovely compmgmt set to look at?..

Last edited by Armand Banana; May 31st, 2007 at 04:46 AM. Reason: clarity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

I had the same problem, Then I downloaded the Tria version of Painter11 yesterday and It was working perfectly. Today, I turn my Mac on and Painter displays the so-called Error 18.

And Again, forums and Painter Factory are of no help yet.

fes is offline Level Up - All Access Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if you've read this particular thread on TalkGraphics, but you could try to delete the Protexis entries in the order suggested HERE (see third post down on the page).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Much simpler key to this problem

I had consistent 'damaged' crashes on Vista; also remember now that Painter IX.5 was always doing a 'configuring' installer run when starting on XP.

What fixed it is installing with all virus protection turned off.

I underline that, because I always think reputable software houses do things right so we shouldn't need to disconnect from the internet for safety, turn off all protection, install, turn on protection, and put the internet connection back on in order to activate.

Apparently Corel didn't understand this.

I also did the remove-all-protexis-registry-keys-after-install-and-before-first-run trick, but I don't think that was probably necessary.

Installing this way, without excellent virus protection, led to a Vista install of Painter 9.5 (IV.5) that starts and works very smoothly.

Regards,
    Narrconceptart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've still had it do it with the virus protection off. (It was mentioned before to turn it off on other forums) .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I'm on a mac and I got this error 18 too, but after I cleaned the system with Onyx it worked again. Onyx is free

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.