Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Thanks
    Progress for my ChOW entry (Fairytales retold: Little Red Riding Hood). It doesn't stand a chance in the voting but screw it, I like it myself. I should probably change the wolf/eagle crossover into something a bit more post-apocalyptic for it to make more sense, just couldn't think of anything suitable. Any critique would be very welcome.

Attachment 1214075

Attachment 1214074

Attachment 1214076

Attachment 1214077

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Really cool to see the whole progress, would love to see more stuff like this.
    The finished work is solid stuff. It amazes me and makes me wonder how you paint your stuff. theyr just so incredibly clean and perfect.

That said there are definitive weaknesses. Where is the focus? The lightest spots are the hand of little R and the face of the wolf but as they are pretty much equal theyr fighting for the attention. There's so much stuff in so much focus that everything is fighting for attention and my eyes bounce all over the place. The thing that should be the main focus, shocked face of little r, is in the shadows and doesn't demand the attention it should.

Little r's facial experession and pose doesn't quite reflect the sittuation. She doesn't look shocked and instead of jumping a bit backward or bending her knees to get ready to move she just kinda stands and leans back.

The color scheme is a bit simplistic. It looks like your going with more cartoonish style with this stuff so use it to your advantage. There's no restraints of realism so go wild.

I'm running out of steam but one last thing I wanted to note. Theyr in the forest, so the light is passing trough green leaves and so bleeding colour to nearby objects. So you might give the wolf some greenish tint where apropriate.

Thanks
    Ville - Thanks a ton for the good critique! I'm not sure I like the smooth look myself, if I could use textures well in every situation like you I probably would. Apart from the color sketch and the subtle textures, I only used one brush for the whole painting. If you want to give it a go, here's what it looks like:

Attachment 1215325

I guess it's easiest to copy this way in case we have different PS versions. It has angle set to direction and opacity and flow set to pen pressure, and a spacing of 9%... I use it with a 100% flow. I made it to try mimic Sargent's brush strokes on the studies.

I worked on the picture more today. I added that green light, fancier colors and lit the face. I left the pose and expression as they were because I don't want her to look scared enough to run away. In the story they had a chat where she told the wolf where she was going and that's the scene I wanted to paint. I really like the changes.

Attachment 1215320

Thanks
    Nice! The purples in the shadows look good. There's nice greenish tint in the wolf.
    I see you also worked on edges. Looks good overall.
    As a side note you might find useful to study color bleed and how light bounces from object to object. Understanding that stuff really helped me to better understand what I'm seeing and what I should be seeing.
    Just a thought.

Oh and thanks for the Brush!

Thanks
    Late thanks for the comment! Maybe it would be time for a still life study in the near future to study that light bouncing thing.

Some cloud studies:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

And a more accurate study I'm doing for as long as I have patience. Here's the process I've learned that I think minimizes the effort pretty well:

1. Using quick mask (q), paint the shape of the cloud
    2. Hit q again to select the mask, make a new layer and click the layer mask button
    3. Paint the cloud

This gives you the freedom to forget edges when you focus on colors.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    Beautiful little red riding hood!
    Great sketches and afterwards great painting.
    Want to see more pictures like that.

And great speed cloud studies. I think sometimes a little more time could be good.
    Don't haste yourself. You have the time.

Keep going dude!
    Sil

Thanks
    Silwynar - Thanks for the advice! Yep, I rushed up those cloud studies.

Can't avoid thinking about forms when drawing zebras

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks

Thanks
    Wow, I like your style a lot. It looks very... solid, in the lack of a better word. It looks 3D. Really, really good clouds - again, the shape is very apparent like in your other pictures. Your paintings are all crisp and nice-looking and very readable.

Great idea on the zebras, by the way. No better way of being forced to get the forms down.

Thanks
    Saara - Thanks, I'm glad you like my style. The shape thing on the clouds is no doubt thanks to quick mask.

From photos:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

From photos and head:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

From head:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

I started using my old brushes I abandoned a month or two ago for some reason. Here's what came up:

Reference

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Two of my chili plants:

Attachment 1228274

Thanks
    Hey Smuli! I see you haven't stopped being as awesome as always! Wonderful updates!
    - BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    yeah wonderful updates indeed! such a smooth rendering style, kickass studies.
    just keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Shambok - Thanks man! Long time no see.

Yor - Thanks! I really like your quick environments

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Studies from yesterday and today. The second ones are from memory.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Crappy sketch from imagination:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Study of Anders Zorn's portrait of William Taft. The head came out too big:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    Really impressive amount of work man!
    I like the idea of doing something from reference and then doing it from imagination, do you think it helps you remember better or is it just a nice quick way to see what you got out of the study?
    Keep it up!
    May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    sick as allways.

your chilli plant study is a stand out for me, would like to see more still lifes from you
    To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Hey smuli

Thanks for commenting my sketchbook.
    Awesome drawings and paintings.
    Your pencil work looks very 3d.
    Great work there.

Speedy paintings are also great.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Bruce - Thanks! I think I remember more about the studies I've done by sketching them from memory afterwards but it's also fun to see how close I get (and useful to make mental notes of the things I missed).

Nye - Thanks man! My chilis have grown a lot, maybe I'll paint another study soon.

Valoo - Thanks for the kind words!

Attachment 1239835

Attachment 1239838

Attachment 1239840

Thanks
    Oi! don't get lazy on me.

Thanks
    Thanks Ville, I needed that

I have kinda lazed out apart from small freelance gigs but here's a few sketchy paintings. Two first ones are EOW entries (Home of the Goblins and Tree House).

Again, too many conflicting points of interest. I never learn dammit!

Attachment 1259518

Attachment 1259519

Attachment 1259521

Attachment 1259528

Picture I've pretty much lost interest on:

Attachment 1259524

WIP for EOW (Elemental Dragon Hatchery):

Attachment 1259525

Thanks
    hehe np man.

The "home of the goblin" Seems to suffer from the same problems you had with the little red ridinghood. Don't get it wrong. I like it. I quite enjoy all the little details that you have put there, but as you said it's just too much. Also the there are few flaws with lighting. for example it's clear that there's coming some sort of warm fire glow from the hole but that light isn't showing on the other objects like roots and rope and that metal thingy (Sorry don't remember the english word for it ).

It might be easier to show you with paintover rather than try to explain it in words. I'll see if I manage to cook something up.

The tree house on the other hand...pardon my language...is fucking great! Love the design and love the colors. I get into good mood just by looking at it.

The white monolith on the desert is simple but it really works.

I like the next one too. It reminds me of tibet in some way. I think you really should try and finish it. Could be good practice for atmospheric perspective.

Dragon hatchery looks damn promising. I would maybe soften the edges at the mouth of the cave to achieve kind of blur effect. Also you could maybe play with the effect of light passing trough the ice to kind of sell the idea that it's made of....well..ice. Think of how the dragon/dragons build the hatchery. Did they dig it or did they melt the ice with their fire to form the cave. I think you could discover some cool ideas that way.

This week EOW seems like really cool subject. Might give it a try myself.

All in all A+. Glad to see your back.

Thanks
    Ville - Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback man! The lighting flaw looks obvious now you said it, I'll fix that when I tweak the picture for portfolio. The tree house was a happy accident I guess, I had no idea what I was doing at the start but somehow I stumbled on some colors that work nicely together. I was listening to Jon Anderson's 'Olias of Sunhillow' and I don't think I could've come up with as crazy ideas listening to anything else. That's where the mood is from. Good ideas about the dragon hatchery, I'll probably get back to it next week.

Tried my hand at gouache, I really like them though I couldn't get their opaque properties to use, I just used them like aquarelles. But more of these to come.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Bridgman studies after a long pause.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    more gouache and Bridgman sketches:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    Those Bridgman studies look so good. I'm not quite sure what it is about Bridgmans drawings that make thme so pleasing to look at. They'r really stylized and simplified yet they have this interesting elegans to them.

And those gouache studies rock man! Moar please!

Thanks
    Ville - Thanks! I'll try to do some more gouache sketching in the weekend. I think the way Bridgman's sketches are stylized highlights the things you're supposed to learn like blocky structure, unmovable masses, exaggerated muscles etc. Some people don't like his sketchy lines but I think that kind of helps let go of the ambition to copy lines exactly and focus more on the structure as you're supposed to. He also teaches where the muscles are attached and what they do in a way that gives you a lot more than the stiff, academic looking diagrams you normally see. He did draw just one type of figure that is very bulky and stylized though so mixing Bridgman with other anatomy references (even just photos) is probably a good idea.

Posemaniacs warmups from this week:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Sketches from a reference site I subscribed to:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    Today's stuff:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

I forgot to show this yesterday. Softening up the entrance really helped tons to give it depth. Still a WIP, maybe I'll add a broken egg and a little dragon walking towards the entrance.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

I did these photo studies using only Whit Brachna's brushes. I also didn't use undo, didn't pick colors (even from the painting), used the RGB sliders like I always do and painted everything on one layer. It was surprisingly fast and I'm sure the brush strokes look better than would've without those rules (but of course a big credit goes to the brushes too). I'll definitely do more of this kind of studies.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    Picked a way too complex topic for a study on a too small space I guess. Still loads to learn about watercolors. This took 3 hours.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

I was looking through the instructional videos at ctrlpaint.com and got the idea of drawing a hundred sketches of something I suck at from one of them. So here's a bunch of legs for starters, probably not 100 but close anyway.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Torsos and arms, with ink this time. At first I sketched with pencil but then I realized it's much more fun to attack with ink right away. I didn't have experience with ink washes before but it seems like using a brush with a long tip and really loading it properly so that what you paint is puddles more than strokes, makes them look nice. All of the studies are referenced from photo-reference-for-comic-artists.com

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)
    Last edited by smuli; July 4th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks
    Messing around with colored inks:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

I guess I normally do studies too small, try to cram as much as possible in an A4. This time I really zoomed in, forgot about shadings and clean lines and focused on trying to understand the forms. I had the reference pics layered in a PSD. Speeds up the work nicely.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,094 Posts
    oh my god dude! you draw soooo much! shit now i feel lazy as hell. love the studies! figures and enviros are looking bomb!
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    NickyBeats - Thanks but I'm just taking a sprint for my vacation. You on the other hand have filled 3 thread pages in one month, WTF?!

A few days' stuff in more or less chronological order:

I bought some colored Winsor and Newton drawing inks and made a color mixing chart (the brown and blue are Sennelier though). I'll try to figure out how to use these with watercolor. The reason I thought they could be useful is that they don't bleed under watercolor (though sure do under another wash of ink it seems).

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

More anatomy:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Crappy studies of Stargate screen caps, with apologies to the cast:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Only figure from imagination good enough to show:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

I looked through my sketchbook and got reminded that I didn't always suck with watercolors... And lo and behold, I got something decent done. These are from Burn Notice.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

A very quick tutorial:

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

A study from reference.

Smuli's Book #2 (nudity)

Thanks
    I adore those colored ink studies. How are those things? I mean compared to Watercolors and Gouache? Always wanted to try out those inks but never got to it...which is weird considering that ink is by far my favourite sketching medium.

Oh and thanks for that short watercolor tutorial. Saved me the trouble of asking.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast