Painter X Randomly crashed (closed)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter X Randomly crashed (closed)

I was painting something in painter, If I can remember what I did, I think I grabbed the lasso tool and selected an area of my painting, this was all on 1 layer, I think just the canvas layer, then I moved my selection, I didn't like it , so I did edit undo or step backwards, I used the shortcut to undo, Then I clicked back on my brush, went to put my pen down on the pad (wacom) and the program just instantly closed or crashed. No error message or nothing.

If this information helps I was also using a modified custom version of the Tinting basic round, It was under a custom brush catagory I made. Also something else that was screwy, was I modified the brush dab type I think it is called, I changed it to "flat Blend" then when I left the brush creator and saved it as a new varient, I went to use it and it automatically changed the dab to the one right above flat blend in the drop down bar,( I forget what it was, I'm not on my computer right now to check.) .. So I opened the brush creator back up and changed the dab back to flat blend, then went to paint and it worked fine, then If i changed to a differnt brush and back to the "flat blend" modified brush, it would change the dab again to the one right above flat blend.

I hope some of this makes sense, if it doesn't I'll try to get some screen shots to help illustrate what was happeneing with my custom brush.

But has the program closed on anyone else like this? This is kinda crappy if I were to be painting something and all of a sudden it crashed, I lost what I was working on already , It makes me afraid to paint with painter, but I really like the program.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe View Post
    I was painting something in painter, If I can remember what I did, I think I grabbed the lasso tool and selected an area of my painting, this was all on 1 layer, I think just the canvas layer, then I moved my selection, I didn't like it , so I did edit undo or step backwards, I used the shortcut to undo, Then I clicked back on my brush, went to put my pen down on the pad (wacom) and the program just instantly closed or crashed. No error message or nothing.
    The only solution I know of to avoid losing work should Painter crash is to save frequently.
    • Use File > Save As for the first save in RIFF format.
    • Use File > Iterative Save for following saves in RIFF format and Painter will automatically add a number at the end of the file so you'll have a series of numbered files.

If this information helps I was also using a modified custom version of the Tinting basic round, It was under a custom brush catagory I made. Also something else that was screwy, was I modified the brush dab type I think it is called, I changed it to "flat Blend" then when I left the brush creator and saved it as a new varient, I went to use it and it automatically changed the dab to the one right above flat blend in the drop down bar,( I forget what it was, I'm not on my computer right now to check.) .. So I opened the brush creator back up and changed the dab back to flat blend, then went to paint and it worked fine, then If i changed to a differnt brush and back to the "flat blend" modified brush, it would change the dab again to the one right above flat blend.

I hope some of this makes sense, if it doesn't I'll try to get some screen shots to help illustrate what was happeneing with my custom brush.
    I just checked in Painter X and the same thing happened to me. I started with the Tinting's Blender, changed the Dab Type to Blend Flat, saved it as a custom brush variant, restored the original variant to its default state, switched to the custom variant and the Dab Type was changed to Blend Camel Hair, the Dab Type just above Blend Flat.

I changed the Dab Type to Blend Flat, and again saved the custom brush variant with the same name. Again, it was automatically switched to Dab Type: Blend Camel Hair.

Strange but true.

Feel free to e-mail the Corel Painter Development Team at painterteam@corel.com and refer them to this thread so they can read both of our posts.

But has the program closed on anyone else like this? This is kinda crappy if I were to be painting something and all of a sudden it crashed, I lost what I was working on already , It makes me afraid to paint with painter, but I really like the program.
    Yes, it does happen now and then. See my notes above regarding saving the file frequently and how to save it so you can always go back to the last saved version and to ensure you don't lose a lot of work.

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter X has instantly closed for me too. when putting the wacom pen down while using the lasso tool a couple of times already, without having any customized brushes.

intous 3
    windows xp

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Thanks a bunch Jin and Mindflaw.

The thing is, Painter XI Never once crashed on me, it lagged down very badly to the point where it almost froze but then I waited a bit and it came back.

Wonder if it has something to do with the lasso tool.

Is it possible to save my custom brushes from painter X and import them into Painter XI? Also are the Real bristle brushes the only new brushes in painter X?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Let's see if anyone else can confirm this is a problem.

I have been inking JPGs using the Liquid Inks category, when I finish the image, I'll try to save it as a jpg. Painter may save it, but often times it crashes. After it crashes, and you try opening any of those jpgs again, Painter will quit.

I tried a factory restore and it did open it again, but then it crashed soon after if I did anything jpg related.

It also reminded me that when I slid the feature of the liquid inks category to 0 and tried to move it back, painter also crashed.

So I'm wondering if the combination of JPGs and Liquid Inks seem to be a bad one. I just don't understand why Painter X is more sensitive to reading Jpgs.

I use a Lenovo Duo Core Win XP SP2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah welcome to painter. 10 versions and they can't stop the program from randomly crashing. i have tried over and over using it for a few days at a time, and my "trials" always end with a crash and me saying "fuck this program" and going back to photoshop. My two cents.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Joe, it is IX

IX are roman Numerals meaning 9, by saying XI you're saying 11 there is no Painter 11 (yet)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Joe View Post
    Hey Thanks a bunch Jin and Mindflaw.

The thing is, Painter XI Never once crashed on me, it lagged down very badly to the point where it almost froze but then I waited a bit and it came back.
    There is no Painter XI (yet).

That would be Painter 11 and Painter 10 was just released in February 2007.

Wonder if it has something to do with the lasso tool.
    It may be something to do with the Lasso tool, or making selections in general. I've had Painter X crashes when using both selections and Shapes.

It happened in Painter IX (IX.5) too.

Is it possible to save my custom brushes from painter X and import them into Painter XI?
    I'd have to say no. The brush variant XML files are different and the brush technology has changed from Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5) to Painter X.

Also are the Real bristle brushes the only new brushes in painter X?
    I can't say for sure but you can open up your file manager and compare the default Painter Brushes brush library folders and files for Painter X and Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5) to be sure.

I can say that most of the Painter X brush variants exist in Painter IX (IX 9.1 or IX.5).

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter IX, yeah my bad, Thanks a bunch for all the info Jin.
    I think I might just go back to painter IX, it seems more stable right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gee, all of this makes me feel very fortunate - or maybe just overdue. I've been using Painter since the first version by Fractal Design and it has crashed on me only once. Of course, it couldn't have come at a worse time. It was about 6 years ago. I was way into an illustration and had not saved in hours. (Very bad habit, I know.)

But then, I very rarely make selections in Painter and I use fairly simple brushes, so that could be the answer. Anyway, I feel lucky. I hate crashing and losing stuff and I'm glad it is so very rare these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt View Post
    Gee, all of this makes me feel very fortunate - or maybe just overdue. I've been using Painter since the first version by Fractal Design and it has crashed on me only once. Of course, it couldn't have come at a worse time. It was about 6 years ago. I was way into an illustration and had not saved in hours. (Very bad habit, I know.)

But then, I very rarely make selections in Painter and I use fairly simple brushes, so that could be the answer. Anyway, I feel lucky. I hate crashing and losing stuff and I'm glad it is so very rare these days.
    That's the weird part, I don't think I was using anything complex other than Liquid Inks, and I was just doing that, inking. I only had the original sketch layer, a regular pen layer for the scratchboard tool, and the Liquid Inks.

I tried to save it as a jpg and it crashes. Painter then refuses to open the jpgs when I relaunch the program- it doesn't even give a crash message, it disappears. It's similar to the old Save crash I've seen in the CA archives.

I could understand if I had 50 layers with masks and selections. It's just something with Liquid Inks, and saving as Jpgs that seem to be the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.