Thanks

Oils- Avoiding Gloss?

In regards to oil painting, it seems like they (much like any painting medium I suppose) are sensitive to consistency. Straight out of the tube I find them to be much too thick and don't seem to spread very easily. So I've been experimenting with different mediums in conjuction with them; Liquin (original and fine detail), linseed oil, Grumbacher's copal medium, etc and I'm still having some issues. While I do very much prefer the consistency of oil paint with these mediums, I seem to end up with small areas in my paintings which are very glossy and others that are more matte. Any thoughts on how to avoid this? Also, as far as glazing goes, how do you avoid just ending up with a big splotch of glossy color?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    I haven't yet tried it, but I think a layer of varnish at the end will even out the gloss.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    You can't avoid oils drying inconsistently, especially when working in multiple sessions. It's simply the nature of the medium. The answer is either oiling out or using retouch varnish while the painting is in progress (to facilitate color matching with sunken in areas), a coat of retouch varnish when the painting is touch dry to even out the surface, and a final varnish in six to twelve months.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Hey Elwell, what is the difference between retouch varnish, and that final varnish?
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Retouch varnish is simply a more dilute solution. It's formulated to soak in and saturate the paint layer without forming an appreciable film over it. It won't interfere with the curing of the paint film, but also won't provide the protection that the heavier layer of a final varnish will.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

Thanks
    As has been said, random glossiness is the nature of the beast. Wait till you paint in a situation where a brush stroke of a certain direction picks up gloss, and thus you have to not paint in that particular direction! That is annoying...

Thanks
    you can also use wax as your medium.

Thanks
    when you work in oils try working thin to thicker your last layers should be just pure color and thick, ive alway use liquin and never had a problem colbalt i find tints my paint so i dont use and linseed oil is a non drying oil sooooooo i never use either espacally glazing over the corse of a painting i use less and less medium and i work up the detail mabe the problem is comming from painting in patches? and mabe different mediums on the same piece

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PXLPropheT View Post
    ...and linseed oil is a non drying oil...
    Erm, it is infact a drying oil. Hence most oil paints being ground in linseed oil.