EOW# 54 Two Houses Both Alike in Dignity

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW#54 Two Houses Both Alike in Dignity

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Umbrella Man

1 1.92%
  • Seedling

9 17.31%
  • Mike Yamada

22 42.31%
  • Iliothcat

0 0%
  • D-Holme

0 0%
  • Chaosrocks

0 0%
  • Sung-jae Kim

1 1.92%
  • Robmorphin

0 0%
  • Beelow

19 36.54%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Two houses,both a like in dignity POLL

just in case you don't get ther reference , these are the opening lines from Shakespear's "Romeo and Juliet"

The winner of the EOW#53 Tunnel city was ATAnderson congratulations
    followed closely by Kicek…good fight Gentlepersons

For this Challenge we Had 9 images started, 9 going to poll. Several first time entries, several returning past winners. Lots of beautiful work and a great round. Welcome to all you brave newcomers.
    I have noticed that eh more specific briefs get fewer entries. I will continue to alternate specific with open, because I think its good practice to try to wrap your brains around the more difficult and particular concepts.

New Round IS ON!
    EOW# 55 After the battle

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...52#post1323852

The Umbrella Man

Two rival corporations vie for power in the small city of Verona, one a greedy giant mega corp looking to suck the life blood from the small farming communities and exploit the cheap labor of the city, and one who wished to restore the town to it's once grand serene state. On the brink of corporate war the homes and people of Verona stand in the middle of a storm.

Seedling
    I have outside posted your image for you because I love you… but in the future please use an outside host

Mike Yamada

Iliothcat
    Also hosted… please people … make my job easier I can’t repost attached images

D-holme

The hold-manse of the industrialist Montague family looks out across the Bay of Verona at the seat of the aristocratic Capulets. Tensions between the two families have increased with recent bloodshed, now the Prince’s armoured cruiser Augustine lies at anchor, charged with maintaining the civil peace.

Chaosrocks

Sung-jae Kim

Robmorphin

Beelow

Last edited by chaosrocks; May 17th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for the umbrella man - because I think you put so much work into your piece, and really fought with it. Perhaps next time you could allow yourself to be more spontaneous and looser- dont torture yourself trying to get finicky details exactly right, just enjoy the work you do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i voted for Mike Yamada

i loved the simple yet characteristic design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v - Beelow

I can feel the sunrise. Well done to everyone.

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for beelow feels more epic somehow

Mikes is adorabble and seedlings is beautiful

Paul I think you won the battle with yours but it still has scars

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Seedling, it pretty much nailed the concept and has the polish of a completed peice.

@Chaos: Hey you didn't post my description..

@Nuru: Thanks for the vote again! Everytime I get a vote it gives me a little bit more confidence to keep going Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for seedling i think his piece best reflected the concept!! with chaos close behind great work everyone. lots of good work here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote goes to Beelow, good colours, nice painting

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v 4 beelow - nice idea, good dinamic and colours

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    for some reason, seedling's made me think of olives...so she has my vote

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for seeding´s. Beauuuutiful light!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Umbrella Man – I think that if you were to finish the image you should bring out the rival corporate natures of the two houses. In the original thread you commented on the composition of the piece, I think that the ‘fisheye’ effect would have worked better with taller image.
    Seedling – I like the concept that it would work well for a stage production. It captures the Italian essence perhaps the best.
    Mike Yamada – I like the clear definition of the two house (literally represented), the Italian element is subtly there too which I like. My only critique would be that it perhaps doesn’t strongly represent the tragedy of the Romeo and Juliet tale.
    Iliothcat – I was a little confused about how the various elements came together, is there are split of houses with one being subterranean? Your landing pad suggests a level of technology that perhaps (even subtly) should be carried through into the rest of the scene.
    Chaosrocks – I like the Italian stylings and the view of the two houses separated only slightly but by a difficult barrier, here the water.
    Sung-jae Kim – I like the direction the style is heading in but felt that the two house need to be more clearly defined.
    Robmorphin – I like the gloom of the piece and the feeling of closeness it generates, I think that the tale of the play often has people confined by a series of events. It would be better however if the two houses were more strongly represented.
    Beelow – I like the clear representation of the two houses and how they are placed over the city and common-folk. My only critique would be that it is hard for me to see the Italian elements (something I found hard to bring through), the houses look maybe too eastern.

Can I comment only own image without sounding I am trying to justify my image, maybe: I started off thinking about the towers of San Gimignano but wanted to go for somewhat of a different period. In the end I was influenced by the idea of a late 19th century idea with the Montagues as the Italian Communists and the Capulets as fascists or aristocrats, I think I was perhaps thinking more of the Spanish civil war. I tried to represent the power of the groups with their houses above that of the people and to show the authority of the Prince (and his threat of death) with the Imperial-era Cruiser. The Italian element was hardest to bring through, and I think the teracotta-tiled roofs could have been stronger and perhaps the Capulet’s manse should have had stylings closer to Saint Paul’s or earlier Roman-era architecture.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually skip out on detail, which is inexcusable, for the sake just trying to get design and composition down first then color. I am still struggling with that solving that, then start to move into detail without disrupting the overall composition and design. I am still learning as the rest of you. Thanx for the critique D-Holme. I am glad that you have pointed that out. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think beelow's has the most atmosphere. And to me that's what makes an environment.

TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your feedback D-Holme, next time I'll try to invest more time in the concept.

Umbrella man,
    I know you invested a lot of time, but I have to say it, your perpective is off in different aspects, the vanishing points are different for different buildings even though they are parallel, All vanishing points always have to be at the horizon line, also, same elements (like houses or windows) scale down through the perspective lines, not randomly just making them smaller because they are further back, try it drawing boxes, and get a book called "rapid viz", it explains perspective very well, fast and simple.
    Seedling, voted for you, the key was your background, couldn't have thought of a more italian landscape, great job!
    Mike Yamada, great job, really liked the houses, I just didn't like the dashed lines, the storytelling became more important than the enviro.
    Iliothcat, I didn't understand that building, I can see the spaceship landing, but I don't know if it's a structure opening, breaking or how it is built.
    D-holme, took me some time to decide between yours and seedling's, I like the depth and overall picture, I like the whole composition, I like the imagination you had, just the scale of the ship and the left building and specially the ship's scale were way too much, also the scale on the buildings at the horizon are too big due to the city at the front already scaled so much down, great job anyway!
    Chaos, nice textures, the top looks too flat (both ridges of roof align and mountains at horizon almost aligned with them, you could have raised the roof in the front and create some movement), the top of the arches are not in the same perspective line, element at front doesn't show any depth, it looks like a bridge but it's disconnected, it looks like it has doors but they are smaller than the doors at the back, also the tower on the left of this element looks like it's floating, because it's higher than the wall next to it and it's not touching the water, I like the clouds a lot.
    Sung-jae Kim, the only thing I can see it's that that guy is in love, sorry.
    Robmorfin, finish your pieces.
    Beelow, very nice piece, it really stands out, just didn't see italian, also the scale of the houses feels like too much.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.