EOW#55 After the Battle

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW#55 After the Battle

EOW#55 After the Battle

EOW# 55 After the Battle

This is very open to interpretation. it can be fantasy or Modern or futuristic.
    Im looking for a portrayal of the sdevastations of war, in what ever setting you choose

I will accept any medium.
    Now... concept!

Due May 28, I have given you 2 weekends

Description REQUIRED

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay first post Still working on this. Need to start fleshing out more details now that the basics are covered.

EOW#55 After the Battle

Fifteen years after nuclear winter, a team of heavily armed scientist travel the wastes of New York looking for survivors, and to measure the level of backround radiation in what is now a shell of it's former self. No longer a civilization the animals that were once pushed out are now living amongst the rubble ready to fight intruders who would wish to push them back out of their home.

Last edited by the umbrella man; May 20th, 2007 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh. . . I'm so tempted. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dooo eet!

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic.

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm all geeked up, got my sketchbook ready, and I'm ready for my first EOW (or any community activity) ever. Wish me luck, and pray that I don't make too too much of a fool of myself.

Three hours later: this is way harder than it looks!

Last edited by drummingpariah; May 18th, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: didn't want to waste space on a new post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first try at EOW, because I suck at environments. I have no clue what I'm doing right now..

version1 - broken bridge
    EOW#55 After the Battle

version2 - waterside
    EOW#55 After the Battle

don't know which one to go for.. advice would be appreciated, thanks =D.

UPDATE:: k .. just gotta refine bridge and add some helicopters.. lol
    EOW#55 After the Battle

FINAL:: Ok this is my finished version!

They never expected it, nobody did. With no defences, the traitors ignited a war and left the ministry of defence building in flames. With the most important man who could stand against them, dead, the traitors are winning the new war by far.

EOW#55 After the Battle

Last edited by jurffy; May 21st, 2007 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic, I already started mine. This time I'll put some effort on it =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1st attempt

I haven't tried one of these activities either. Mine seems to be cheery compared to the others so far...

EOW#55 After the Battle

Especially after I tweek the colors.
    EOW#55 After the Battle

Not sure if I'll continue with this one or not, but I probably don't have time to start anything new. Something's missing I've tried trees but they don't look right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lyconeous,
    I really like your concept of the skulls forming the wall, however, possibly the grass and flowers are detracting from the impact of the idea - it would be pretty scary to see a wall of skulls!! If the wall had just been built there would probably be some signs of disturbance left by the people/..? that built it...?.signs of battle?..however if you want to show the passage of time, it could be interesting to explore how this wall might age - ie: covered in moss, entwined with ivy?
    I really dont want to discourage you, or offend you, think you have a really strong idea - these are just suggestions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lyconeus i think what your sketch is missing is a focal point, or a point of interest. like maybe you could have a decrepid old guy putting skulls in the wall or a skeletal castle or something in the background. your right, it definately needs something though, something to contrast with the skull wall or something to tell a bit more of a story than "here's a skull wall". my two cents.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lyconeus-

Nice Idea, just doesnt flow yet. also its too bright and cheery to make for the feeling I should get when I come upon a wall of skulls. First of all I would darken the lighting. think of WWI 'no mans land' mabe make a crater filled dirt ground, I would add some barbwire and sharp stick fencing either on top of the skulls or scatttered around the ground. perhaps some bleed or fresh severed heads on sticks might do the trick instead.

look at photos that have the same 'mood' or 'feeling' that you are trying to accomplish with this piece. use the same color scheme or value scheme and that should help out quite a bit.

---hiddnfox

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still struggling with color in this peice. ANyone have any tips for keeping color uniformed like in Jurffy's peice? I tend to hop all over the place with color then find out I have to take the contrast down because it pops too much. I guess I don't understand how light colors everything in a scene yet. I mean is it a subtle change or does pretty much everything in the scene take on the same color of light and shadow?

It would help me out extremely if someone could tell me the answer to that.

Last edited by the umbrella man; May 20th, 2007 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the Umbrella man It might help you if you set yourself a limited colour palette. Looking at jurffy's, there's only red,grey and black there, with different tonal values... If you only allow yourself say, 3 or 4 colours to work with in a picture you might get a more uniform feel...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nuru I think I will try that on the next EOW, this one unfortunatly is pretty much close to being done. I'm going to see Myron Conan Dyal's art exhibition today so maybe I'll try painting some of his weird assed sculptures with a limited palette.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got some fun ideas when i this weeks topic, so i thought i would try it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the umbrella man: Ya, like Nuru mentioned, I have a limited colour pallete. I have a tinted blue-gray for the water too.. I find it easier to keep unity within the painting by starting with a base colour and working from that. In this case, my first time doing a cityscape, I did everything in a monochromatic black and white.. then added colour over it after.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EOW#55 After the Battle
    I also have a limited color pallette... its just a very bright one
    WIP
    chaos

update

Last edited by chaosrocks; May 26th, 2007 at 10:43 PM.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It rocks so far, Chaos. Have you ever seen one of Ludwig Meidner's apocalyptic landscapes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm....two weeks to do this eh?

Pot: Hello Kettle...

Kettle: Hello Pot...

Pot: er...Hey Kettle...

Kettle: Yeah Pot?

Pot: You're Black...

Kettle: No shit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get to work you slug.. oh wait I forgot trash talk is for 3ch.....

yay rah rah rah! lets see some battle fields!

chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, a little entry to this one here. First entry ever. Perhaps I'll go over it again. If there are some critics, let me here 'em. Looking forward to more entries!

First step: http://aca.mine.nu/Kunst/speedy89.jpg

EOW#55 After the Battle

Oh, Description... don't really like to write.

Some weeks ago, France declared war to the UK. First target was the city of London. It could be defended several days, but the forces of France were to strong and destroyed the complete city. It was a slaughter like it was in ancient troy.

Edit:
    Went on drawing a bit. Step before is posted as a link above the picture!

Last edited by acapulco; May 21st, 2007 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new post

hello
    it 's very nice !
    acapulco

good job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by acapulco View Post
    So, a little entry to this one here. First entry ever. Perhaps I'll go over it again. If there are some critics, let me here 'em. Looking forward to more entries!

First step: http://aca.mine.nu/Kunst/speedy89.jpg

EOW#55 After the Battle

Oh, Description... don't really like to write.

Some weeks ago, France declared war to the UK. First target was the city of London. It could be defended several days, but the forces of France were to strong and destroyed the complete city. It was a slaughter like it was in ancient troy.

Edit:
    Went on drawing a bit. Step before is posted as a link above the picture!

Reasonably optimistic on the french front.... But the art is very good, I like it.

TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EOW#55 After the Battle
    Captain Lugosi and his squadron fly over the city looking for new targets, the scipions, an alien enemy who destroy Caipiroska, capital of vodkarian, one of the biggest city in the human system...

This threath ive taken seriously cause this last times i havent really taken it too seriously!

Last edited by edujante; May 27th, 2007 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lyconeus: That's an interesting idea! Like somebody mentioned, the grass and flowers kinda detracts from the feel of death. So I'd take that into consideration. Also, To strengthen your piece I think I would have made the skull walls lead to something .. like a ruined city.. But to do that, You'll probably have to change the image a lot. So, another thing you could do is, just keep adding walls of skulls towards the horizon.. Just an idea. Good luck.

chaosrocks: Hey your piece is coming along, the colours are colourful and appealing to me

acapulco: I like your colour scheme and direction you decided to view the burning city, like on the other side of small water. I think you could add like.. a couple or so survivors crawling from the water towards us.. escaping their burning home.. I'm not sure if it'd work, gotta try it to see..

edujante: Neat painting man.. very cool, it's got a cool atmosphere..

Last edited by jurffy; May 21st, 2007 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my WIP submission:

EOW#55 After the Battle

EOW#55 After the Battle

On the planet of Lothopopiapop, the early telekinetics in the history of humanoid lifeforms here were able to control the planet's plates due to their obvious mineral make-up, and they often waged wars through moving their plate or an enemies if extremely skilled. Armies of mind power would be needed to do that, as enough are needed to move their own plate. On account of this tactic being the most destructive method or war, it was used frequently... the negative effects of this type of battle were therefore often experienced. The armies often pushed too hard and caused ruptures in the great planets surface, or causing devastating earthquakes as too much power was put into the grinding plates, destroying many kingdoms.

Last edited by Pound; May 22nd, 2007 at 06:06 PM.
    TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pound: Hey that's volcanic mountain is coming along nicely.. But do you plan to add anything else to imply an after-battle?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jurffy for your comments, i like your pic too, you ve created a goos atmosphere too!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jurffy View Post
    Pound: Hey that's volcanic mountain is coming along nicely.. But do you plan to add anything else to imply an after-battle?

Yes, Althoguh I am goign to amke it pretty strange as far as battles go.

Anyway, yours is looking great. I love, and was actually considering doing a waterscape.

TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1