New pic, Temple of Warriors

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, this is a new picture that Iím working on at the moment and I just wanted to get some other peoples views on how it's going and if there is anything major that should be changed, oh and any way to render the walls so they have a realistic looking stone texture, Iíve tried normal brushes special brushes and photograph textures and they all look ridiculous but any help with composition issues or anything like that would be great.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, it's going good so far. The tiny people on the ground really show us the scale difference between them and the gigantic statues. Nice! When you continue with this, don't forget to add some colours to contrast with the purple tones that dominate the painting at the moment. But I guess this is just your base colour.
    When it comes to the stone texture, I am no expert at that. But you could try to draw some cracks, that usually helps.

If you would estimate swithching the viewer's angle, seeing the statues (and the temple) more from below would strengthen the feeling of it being large and mighty. It's just a suggestion though.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, a few little points about something. More like opinions to make it look better. The guy on our left leaning to the wall... Is it a spy? As it looks much like sneaking. If not, it's pose is much too tense and uncomfortable.
    And about the poses of the statues, as a suggestion: Make their pose much less relaxed; more into something that they would look like they are honouring something above them, was it a god or the sun or anything. It would look much better. As it is, usually such statues wouldn't look so 'dynamic', because in fact they won't move. Such 'charge-ready' pose gives them an unfitting look to be massive statues in front of a building. Especially when we're talking about a 'temple'.
    Keep it up.

Last edited by Turisas; May 17th, 2007 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a major perspective issue, you might wanna check the vanishing point to the right. Make sure all lines point the same way. =)
    Other than that, I agree with the other people!
    Keep working on it!
    Julia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks for the useful crits, firstly JaneM it's good to hear that you think the scale thing is working well as I was trying to focus of giving the building a strong presence and yeah you're right these colours are my base colours, I will add more colour later on and I’m trying to add a texture which hints at cracks at the moment, I'm going to keep the view the same though as I definitely wanted the guy hiding to be obviously included in the picture but I get the idea and cheers for the thought. MonsterKill as I mentioned above the guy is hiding so it was definitely meant to be a tense pose and the shapes for the people are obviously not properly defined yet they were just doodles so I could experiment with their placements but thanks for the comment about the statues as I’ve felt from the beginning that they didn't look right and I struggle to find a pose but your advice sounds excellent so I will try a pose along the lines of what you suggested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I assume that you are trying to portray the sneaking guy against the wall...

If you are trying to communicate just him, get closer to him...if you are trying to communicate him and the temple itself use some perspectice and get right in next to his feet looking both down past the guards and up the side of the temple...Right now your action points are small and will be lost unless you rock the lighting and color theory...which you may do, just saying...

In any case good luck and look forward to the next versions...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for pointing that out Julia, I've tried to fix the perspective on both sides and I'm working on the statues but at the moment I'm not that happy with what I've got.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... Try to work on the perspective problem and try to find the textures you're looking for. And maybe add some clouds to the sky. I'll give an overpaint on the statue(s) later today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Apts!
    The reworking of the perspective looks better, but there is a problem still. I made a paintover of sorts to try to explain myself better.

There are three issues that I see: one is that your vanishing points are not on top of your eye level line. The right one is just above it. The second is a very common problem, which is that the vanishing points are way too close to one another, so you get an extremely distorted image. Looks a bit wonky.
    Third is that you should put the third vanishing point farther away I guess. I made a paintover with the perspective on your drawing and then a sketch of an example.

Hope it helps. After many years drawing I still struggle with perspective at times.

Keep working on it! And build a grid on photoshop to help you. =)
    Julia

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the help the paintover is a really useful, anyway I put a bit more time into it and started on the colours, oh try and ignore the weird looking steps and plinths at the front they are only like that just because I smudged them into place I will fix them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good so far. Sorry for not making an overpaint of the statues. You made them look good, though. Yet, I believe it would look even better if their faces was more towards the sky.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.