Rothko sells for $73 mil

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rothko sells for $73 mil

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this reality sucks.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now honestly I don't believe any painting is worth 73 mil, but I also don't think a pair of high heeled shoes is worth 300 dollars, but they sell too. However have you ever actually seen a Rothko in person? They get crapped on alot by people that have only seen tiny little pictures like this, "So its a big square of color...big woop" In person many of his paintings "breathe" with life, the colors vibrate against eachother and pull forward and push back. He was once quoted as saying that he wanted to make paintings that "if you turned your back to it, you would feel it beating on you like the sun."

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, so you can get an idea of the scale of most of these pieces.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua View Post
    Now honestly I don't believe any painting is worth 73 mil, but I also don't think a pair of high heeled shoes is worth 300 dollars, but they sell too. However have you ever actually seen a Rothko in person? They get crapped on alot by people that have only seen tiny little pictures like this, "So its a big square of color...big woop" In person many of his paintings "breathe" with life, the colors vibrate against eachother and pull forward and push back. He was once quoted as saying that he wanted to make paintings that "if you turned your back to it, you would feel it beating on you like the sun."
    I've seen a couple in person, and I'm not impressed.

If wealthy fools want to spend their hoards on silly things, I'm not going to cry over it.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After your words, Cthogua. I want to see it and experience it... I believe btw that colors can talk and lead on their own like textures... Fellah taught me that. Price is scary though... so much good can be done for this money... new businesses, new projects... kind of weird.
    Read the artist suffered from a deep depression all his life and ended his life himself despite such talking loving colors...seems that he desperately tried to communicate through his paintings. Sincerity in art does cost money... you buying part of someone's soul into your house...
    Internet probably changed colors... but I feel a bit what you said... colors vibrate and move out of borders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I concur with Seedling. I too have seen rothko's in person, and am entirely indifferent. Each to their own...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure how comparable it is, but I saw Voice of Fire (is this what I'm thinking of? The Canadian one) in person and although it wasn't breathtaking or anything, it was definitely something completely different when it's right there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now honestly I don't believe any painting is worth 73 mil,
    It's not the painting that's being sold. It's the signature and the idea. It's the ability to say "I own a Rothko." The social funtion of art in Western culture is mostly concerned with status.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really need to go check out rothko again, i saw a documentary on him a while back and it truly swayed my opinion on him completely, im a big fan now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oddly Ive seen Rothkos in person, when they constitute the environment that you are in they are in their way amazing. The ones I saw were in a room by themselves in a gallery in DC I forget the name. I wish I could see the chapel in Houstan. I expect its quite amazing
    a unique and interesting experience. on the other hand I alos don't believe any art is worth that much money

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    totally agree with that. (With every part of it!)

whats with all those "this is not art" posts on ca anyway? is conceptart.org the new art police?

screw you guys, I'm going home...

▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheres the smile for 'dying a little on the inside'...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats with all those "this is not art" posts on ca anyway?
    This is not a "this is not art" post, this is a "this is not worth $73 million fucking dollars" post.

Seriously, it's neat, it's large, it's something I would hang on my wall as a graphic element, but for that much cash I'd at least expect it to be centuries old.

But hey, it's not my cash.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree 100%. My dad sent me a documentary on him, i was like "meh" then he took me to the four seasons (the seagram building) to get drunk, eat, and talk about how they would have looked in there, then we went to washington and saw them in the national gallery. They do indeed take over a room, in a strange way, and sure as hell give off some sort of seird vibe, that i liked. Dont knock it until youve seen them. Im not a huge fan of his early stuff though (like the one that was sold)

And hey, if they can get someone to buy it for that price, why the hell not? Someone wants to pay that for it, then its obvious its worth that muchg to them, regardless of ulterior (alterior? )motives.

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with Brendan N on this one, you aren't really buying a painting but rather the history and status.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rothko is magic. Plus he's a pivotal member of American Art along with Pollock and Jasper Johns, and they all sells for millions now aday, so what is the big deal?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I had a kid he could do better..
    thats the general thought I get when looking at modern art.
    Not against it, although the price is rediculous, I would feel guilty charging that much for art in the first place..highway robbery

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like marshmallow and coffee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rothko rules and is worth every cent of it!

(god damn it...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    If I had a kid he could do better..
    thats the general thought I get when looking at modern art.
    Not against it, although the price is rediculous, I would feel guilty charging that much for art in the first place..highway robbery
    Modern art is pretty much never about how "good" the piece looks. Saying your kid could do it is dismissing the philosophical and artistic ideas behind the piece, and it's dismissing the process. But I do agree with you, the price is ridiculous .

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are tons of people ot there that have more money than they can spent,

73 mil is peanuts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to see it in person to see if it is really worth that much money. Or even worth getting upset or fanboy over. I did an installation in my uni last year and it was huge and with the colors hitting it the right way, really made you feel good and different. Aced the course because of it.

It really depends on the artists intentions with the piece and where he/she wants to place said piece.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    with 73 mil i'd start a business that does reproductions of these kinda pics so i can get even more...
    sorry,i just don't get it.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suspect rich people are not the ones who can spend 75 millions dollars like bag of peanuts,,, rich people have a great knowledge how to handle money and make them stay with them and multiply. Shortly put,,, I suspect those people are stingy, they will not let you have snow in a winter day. I remember the story with a guy winning a biggest lottery I read in paper... in two years the money slipped through his fingers and his entire family fell apart, alcoholism, narcotics problems, he was robbed... amazing really. So... people with big money are special in a way.
    so those 75 millions are probably spent wisely by someone, it is a good business deal probably.
    I always look at people with a big concentration of recourses with respect... even if they are bastards,,, it is they who create working spaces, businesses, new possibilities.. chances... So when they buy a painting and hang it on the wall ... it is a treasure, not a money which involved in constructive process...it is 75 million dollars hanging on the wall instead of rolling and multiplying and creating working spaces,,, feeding people...
    That's why I'm amazed.

Of course those 75 millions can be spent without any results, projects can failed, instead of given something constructive in process ... but still... it is lost possibilities for many people hanging on the wall. That's makes me think. I would compare it with money hidden, buried somewhere...And I kind of think money should not lay somewhere... they need to be in process making more money.

In this case... the money did buy something else probably,,, like guys said... I think it was probably a very smart decision... maybe they bought reputation.

Feel free to tear my conclusion apart guys... I'm looking forward to it. I love to listen good an opposite reasoning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you sve. Let's not forget that may not be the last time that such a painting is auctioned, and as these paintings go along their values increase. So in a way, you may well consider it an investment, not just a simple buy.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafain View Post
    whats with all those "this is not art" posts on ca anyway? is conceptart.org the new art police?
    Nobody in this thread has made the claim that “this is not art”.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Disregarding the Rothko for a moment... I really like the Francis Bacon piece that sold for $53 million at the same auction

Rothko sells for $73 mil

Last edited by Crush; May 17th, 2007 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man some people have money to burn..

One thing I find strange about modern art is that these simple images apparently speak volumes of poems, emotions and all that lark. However you can get all this from a good book/film/game for a much cheaper price. Though thats abit different but you get the idea.

Im guessing its a status thing. All these rich business men buying expensive paintings just to say they own one.

Personally Id rather use that money to hire Massive Black for the day.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kissass...

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.