Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Autistic artist puts us to shame

Sorry if this is a repost, but I just wanted to share this.- amazing

Autistic man draws near perfect panorama of Rome
    linky-doo

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea this was posted a few months back. He isn't very creative, but he has an amazing ability to reproduce things he sees.

Even still though, it is mind blowing to watch him.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stephen Wiltshire

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/

I'm happy the guy can make a living off it, but it sure rubs me the wrong way. It's like the 'painting elephant', your not buying work for its artistic value your buying it because an elephant painted it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, comparing a human with Autism drawing, to an elephant painting...

Its not like the guy's a vegetable, automatically spazzing drawings out, and even then I think the work would still have some interesting value. The elephant painting is dubious becuase it's debatable whether or not he knows what he's doing and doing it with any intentionality. However an autistic person still knows what they're doing, and does things with purpose. From what I've read about autism it sounds like they have a disconnect with associating visual stimulus with conceptual ideas...ie They often don't, or have alot of difficulty associating facial expressions with emotions. In a sense they are getting the "raw feed" from their senses, unfiltered by the signifying part of their brain, hence the ability to draw very realistic images of things infront of them and from memory. This is far from an elephant painting.

Also...what the hell does "artistic value" even mean? Do you mean, virtuosity in execution? interesting approach to depicting form? engaging color usage? emotional content of the piece? ...What I'm getting at is there's no such thing as one "artistic value" I imagine some people are purchasing the work because they have an interest in artwork created by Autistic people, perhaps some others are buying simply because they like the image...and people can like an image for as many reasons as there are people to view it.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze
    I'm happy the guy can make a living off it, but it sure rubs me the wrong way. It's like the 'painting elephant', your not buying work for its artistic value your buying it because an elephant painted it...
    No. Those elephant paintings could surely be created by any elephant. These drawings can only be created by this guy because of his perception of the world and the way in which his brain works, much like any artist is praised for their uniqueness. People pay money because he is doing something which they themselves cannot do, the way all jobs work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    His brain is broken. This man is able to record and reproduce what he sees in amazing detail, but at the cost of creativity. His brain is incapable of sorting what he sees into categories, which means he is incapable of taking the sorts of visual shortcuts that the rest of us rely on when making images. He can only draw what he sees, and only in excruciating detail, not because he chooses to, but because it's his only option artistically. I'm glad that he can make a living from his work, and that he loves doing it; and I am also glad that I lack his particular "ability".

While it might sound harsh to compare his work to the work of an elephant, it's apt. It's up there with Foot and Mouth artists. http://www.amfpa.com/html/show.php?l...id=100&oid=943 It is unlikely that you would ever stumble across an amazing work of art, and then find out casually that, oh yeah, the guy painted it with his toes. You are told up front that the artist painted with his toes as a means to generate interest in the art, just as you are told up front that this particular artist is autistic, or that the painting was done by an elephant.

And I say none of this with any disrespect for the artists. My cousin is a member of AMFPA (and I have a great deal of respect for elephants). Many of the artists in AMFPA unlikely to make it artistically to the level where they would be able to compete professionally with artists who have full use of their hands, so using their disabilities to promote attention to their work is a good tactic for them – the work allows them a productive, creative outlet in lives that have the potential to be fatally miserable. For these folks it's a often a triumph that he they can make anything at all.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wel you can tell me this guy is autistic and show me the drawing or not tell me anything and show me the drawing - either way i would think it is a bitch ass drawing. i don't care if it's art or not, if it was compulsive or not, or if perspective was off... i love it.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You said it tensai.

Seedling Steven can draw imaginary scenes, He has painted many also. My mother has met him, my family are heavily involved in the autistic community through my brother being diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder, he'd be very insulted if you called him broken, his brain works differently, thats it. Austism is not a have and have not its an entire spectrum, and doesn't define the individual.

Cthogua Nice words. Very true about the raw feed. It's interesting to think about the differences between tables, stools and desks in physical terms. They are all 4 legged flat topped objects, just in differing size, and if you were to take our ability to catagorise them away suddenly, it gets difficult knowing whats what... um.... i worded that pretty badly...

Sorry to go slightly off topic.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THAT'S devotion. Three days on five yards of paper. I have trouble using anything bigger than standard letter format without losing scale all over the place. Plus my attention span is way too short.

I commend the man. He makes something that people can enjoy, and he loves doing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    His brain is broken. This man is able to record and reproduce what he sees in amazing detail, but at the cost of creativity. His brain is incapable of sorting what he sees into categories, which means he is incapable of taking the sorts of visual shortcuts that the rest of us rely on when making images. He can only draw what he sees, and only in excruciating detail, not because he chooses to, but because it's his only option artistically. I'm glad that he can make a living from his work, and that he loves doing it; and I am also glad that I lack his particular "ability".
    Much of what you said doesn't ring true if you look through his work. His work includes imagined cityscapes, and drawings like this one are full of visual shortcuts and creativity. Even a number of his cityscapes have imaginative uses of colour and composition. A lot of his work is sketchy, and his oil paintings have a lot of suggested, rather than "excruciating", detail. He is capable of a far greater range than you're giving him credit for. His detailed cityscapes are certainly what get the most attention and are definitely the most marketable of his art, because they're something unique that few people can do, but it's certainly not the only thing he's capable of.

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That is... ... I'm speechless... He did straight with pen as well... Oh man...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw a tv program on artistic sevants who have similar abilities, and compulsions.
    I liked this video, his dedication is astounding, and I have respect for what he does.
    I think if he came to CA and saw all the bitching concepts, he would be able to make some interesting concepts from his visual library

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh man this is so good. I d just say godspeed stephen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats awesome that he is able to do that it is mind blowing. Now i dont know much about Autistic people but from what I gather, he is able to look at anything then be able to recreate it down to the smallest detail? I think that is awesome, so basicly he can look at any peice of art or anything and recreate it, thats preaty cool. Now again I know nothing about autistic people or any other symptoms of being autistic but im glad that he is able to use this to his advantage. He seems preaty normal i mean if you hadnt of said he was autistic i dont think i'd of guessed that something was wrong with him. i'd of just thought he was some guy with an amazing memory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Seedling Steven can draw imaginary scenes, He has painted many also. My mother has met him, my family are heavily involved in the autistic community through my brother being diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder, he'd be very insulted if you called him broken, his brain works differently, thats it. Austism is not a have and have not its an entire spectrum, and doesn't define the individual.

Notice I am speaking of a specific organ, and not an individual. I wouldn’t refer to anyone’s brain as “broken” to his face out of the blue, just as I wouldn’t say any number of other true but hurtful things to the people around me without good reason. I certainly wouldn’t say an individual is broken. A person is more than a liver or a bone or a brain.

Two of the closest people to me in life suffer from depression severe enough to require medication, and both of them speak freely of how their brains are “broken” – in that language. And what they suffer from is a far cry from autism. I have a friend with an autistic child, and I dearly hope she is able to have some sort of normal life when she grows up. She is not “just different” – her brain is broken in very specific ways that are a great disability to her and a great difficulty for her parents. Autism is not romantic, which I am sure you are aware of, but which many others aren't. This video about Steven is reinforcing the romanticism surrounding autism.

I am delighted for Steven that he is successful as an artist and as an individual. I didn’t realize that he is capable of working from imagination (though I suspect there’s some photography involved) and if he is, that’s to his advantage. Maybe someday he’ll be good enough at his art to not need his autism as a selling point.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I saw this video long time ago. Looks amazing and really inspiring but I would be put to shame if he could draw this cityscape without having any special ability.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think in this drawing - http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/ar...y.aspx?Id=1141 - he must have had some level of creativity to see that the red would look striking against the black.

My brother is austistic, although not to the extent of Stephen, and we're still finding out about it and taking him to psychologists, but I wouldn't refer to his brain as broken either, but wired differently. Whether this is the case with more severe austistics, I don't know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding red to an image may be a fantastic creative leap for Steven, but for a non-autistic artist it couldn’t possibly be considered all that creative.

Shantih, I'm glad to hear that your brother's case isn’t so severe, and I hope for your family and for him that his case is just a mild inconvenience. Severe cases of autism can be devastating to families. To play games of semantics around an adult who throws a tantrum in public or hurts someone through uncontrolled flailing is not going to help them or the people around them.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he is a wonderful artist... he is not a copyist... he transfers me to the place with the atmosphere and mood..
    my favs;
    http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/art.aspx?Id=81... man,, this evening and idle crowd and rough dark silhouettes... Vincent van Gogh's vision actually IMO. I've been there in this spot of London and it is a very recognizable hustling mood, people are just silhouettes, passers by...,, Piccadilly's the very crazy street.

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/or...ll/85_hard.jpg Las Vegas it is... he caught the essence of the city. Adult's Disneyland.

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/art.aspx?Id=1214 I love this one... claustrophobic feeling. He really makes me feel like I'm a part of the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i saw a thing on the science channel or nat geo channel not sure which, about him and alot of others.
    i think what made that rome one so cool is that he did only after a 30min(or something like that) flight across rome and then never looked at a picture agin. hes good but no matter what you say there is a bit of a Gimmick(not sure thats the right word sounds negative) involved. i have no doubt he could sell these even if he was not autistic. but the fact that he is makes it more appealing to some.
    theres anoter guy out there that does animals in clay that a really cool but when he trys to do people they are ok but just not as good.

heres a bit about him and a few more. http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.o.../savantart.cfm

edit: fergot about this guy. Gilles Trehin the city he draws he completly made up.

Last edited by joelhinxman; May 17th, 2007 at 12:49 PM.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bet I could totally kick his ass, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine View Post
    You have such a way with words!! bastard lol

and anyway, that's pretty damn cool what's he's doing wether he's autistic or not!

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine View Post
    You have such a way with words!! bastard lol

and anyway, that's pretty damn cool drawing and I don't think Autism has anything to do with it....my only complaint is the fact that I can hardly see the drawing in the video!

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding red to an image may be a fantastic creative leap for Steven, but for a non-autistic artist it couldn’t possibly be considered all that creative.
    I agree, I was just pointing out that he's not completely without creativity, however simple.

Shantih, I'm glad to hear that your brother's case isn’t so severe, and I hope for your family and for him that his case is just a mild inconvenience. Severe cases of autism can be devastating to families. To play games of semantics around an adult who throws a tantrum in public or hurts someone through uncontrolled flailing is not going to help them or the people around them.
    Thanks He's been having a lot of problems with panic attacks and stress linked to his autism lately, but the health service is finally starting to take notice and he should be getting the help he needs now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think its great that he is doing something prodective with his life. i like the paintings. he has good reason to be proud of himself.

J. Dsilva

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mind is a strange and wonderful thing.

2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shantih View Post
    Thanks He's been having a lot of problems with panic attacks and stress linked to his autism lately, but the health service is finally starting to take notice and he should be getting the help he needs now.
    And he's got a sibling who loves him, which I'm sure will also make a great difference. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was amazing and inspiring, I don't care what you guys say. We sit in a classroom or on a street and study buildings and human form and are constantly working on our observation skills, and this guy has this gift. That blows my mind -

amazing.

- Visions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The big gimmick of Sin City was the adding of one color to black and white drawings, and a lot of people went crazy over it.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    The big gimmick of Sin City was the adding of one color to black and white drawings, and a lot of people went crazy over it.

Do you think it would have had the same enthusiastic response had it been not a story, but merely a book full of everyday city scenes drawn in black and white with a touch of red?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1