Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve pete View Post
    ^^^ interesting outcome, the marks and stains outside of the actual portrait give the overall work a balanced quality... very visually pleasing. Very nice usage of your medium.

...got any more similar to this??

Keep up the hard work.
    No, that's the only one I've ever done actually. It was fun though so I'd like to do some more. Martin Mendez, the man in the painting, actually has possession of the original now.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    some other stuff, the fish have a bit of acrylic and the frog is from ref

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts

Thanks
    Inklings --- a place for ink drawings

Thanks

Thanks
    Chicken wizard!
    war artist!

Thanks
    more stuff

Thanks
    This is a portrait of Anne Rice as a vampire that I did for my illustration class. Ink with dipping pen and brush and stars done with white ink.
    Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    more ink

Thanks

Way too Long!

Please excuse the length of this post, and if you are not personally mentioned.

It seems some of my work “?” out, which could be because it was really messing up my web site stats.

I just wanted to comment and ask some questions on some of the awesome work on this thread; I find all the work to be unique and worthy of all clapclapclap’s.

As I said, I am sure I am much older than most of you – I am also an academic realist so may approach pen & ink differently. My choices of inks are different, subjects, paper, holders and nibs etc.

Do most of you work from images in your minds? What a talent! I can see that many are “doodles” or thumbnails, but for the more finished work, I would love to see the whole piece to see how you handled composition and your edges overall, (I think some people who use washes, well actually line too – forget that edges are just as important with ink as paint).

I loved looking back through this whole thread and seeing all the ingenuity and creativity. It was also interesting to see lots of architectural technique using line. Also wondered if many of you do hard-line illustrations professionally? Lots of technical pens, and Indian ink (yuck).

FINGERS:
    Coming from me a classical realist, I love your work! You use positive and negative space is just about perfection (I don’t know that any artist actually achieve true perfection). Your breaking of line is awesome.

I have to ditto, comments about Fingers with LE FRAR.

STEVE PETE:
    Just inspiring! You have such a talent of working with lost edges and your realism and suggestion is so successful. Have you tried the sumi ink vs. the gouache? Do you use the gouache under line work for your “realistic” areas?

DSL:
    Awesome, you explained your work perfectly

CHEECYSHAY:
    Love it!

ODORA:
    Great line and pointillism to create “reality” wow.

BOBBYKRO:
    I just have to say DVD said it all, your work is incredible.

DR. SATAN:
    I love your handling of the conte with ink washes (if this is indeed what it is). Your “mud” faces are awesome.

WOO4:
    Do you work from observation? Oops reading down, I saw your reference. Your older textured line drawings, are they studies of the masters? Adding a bit of wash, they certainly could be. Your use of line is really great in these; I think it shows a bit more atmosphere than your newer one – still good though!

KROSSJ:
    I think your work is great! I love how you handle the medium - it is really interesting.

DB CLEMONS:
    Will always be my hero, the king of ink and the person who taught me so many tricks. (I bet he’s regretting it after this winded post.)

JAKE KOBRIO:
    How do you like your bamboo Japanese brushes? They are really hard for me to control. I lose the bristles really easy. Do you find that yours fan out and you lose the points right away? If not can you tell me the brand.

ANID MURO:
    It sounds like you are dipping your brushes to deep into the bottle. Personally I keep a flat lid to dilute the ink for my washes and only use my brushes for this. (I use a distilled H2O for diluting.) I use the full strength bottle ink with just my pen nibs.

SHROUDSTAR:
    Did you try the Bistre?
    Some of the w/n inks – mainly the calligraphy – do not contain shellac, and are good ink. They also have a series of shellac. For this type my favorite is Senneliers, there luster is worth the nib clogging.

If the hardbound sketch book you are using, unless made by yourself, if it’s anything like mine, the paper is really not very good. Mine is “sketch” paper vs. drawing. If you want to do washes, especially with shellac, try a 500 series Strathmore, you can really push the ink around and add washes if need with your line work.

If you are using non-shellac, watercolor papers work really well, it adds a nice texture which buyers like. If you do use Bristol, make sure you get a good grade!

As I said at the beginning, I am so sorry about the length of this thread, I feel I can learn so much from others work and love to ask questions - I am really annoying at workshops. Also the old saying, once a teacher, always a teacher is a for real.

Not to mention I just totally screwed up my web site trying to upload some images, %#@& pointers are really messing me up between the two of them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ewschott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I finally have my site straightened out so I can post at least one image. The other links bring up web pages, but it should give you a bit of my style and the different kind of ink I use, this one is in the Bistre.

I should qualify, I have a huge love of sheep, and especially their butts... go figure?

If anyone is interested in working with ink with pen washes, this is a demo on my site using a shellac based ink, but alas it is more for the older people

http://www.ewschott-fineart.com/inkD/inkD1.html

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewschott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the nice comments, and don't worry about the age thing. Not everybody here is younger than yourself, and I think your ink tutorial is splendid for people of all ages.
    Also known as Iikka Keränen

Digital Eel

Thanks
    thanks ewschott. cool stuff on your site. cheers

some more

Thanks

A couple of recent ones

Done during various types of downtime at work Sakura Pigma and Sharpie markers on different types of paper.
    Also known as Iikka Keränen

Digital Eel

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Timothy Duong For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast