Brush workflow?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Brush workflow?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brush workflow?

Hey all - self-confessed newb here.

i'm trying to make the move from Photoshop to Painter IX and for the most part it's gone pretty smoothly, but one thing i'm having trouble with is managing my brushes.

I tend to work mostly in acrylic and have a large handful of brushes that i rely on a lot, so i've created a custom palette for them. Problem is - the icon for all acrylic brushes look exactly the same, so it's hard to remember which is which. I thought maybe Painter would have a way to customize brush icons to differentiate them (color-coding, adding text) but that doesn't appear to be true.

I had also hoped there might be a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to favorite brushes (like an eraser) but I don't see that feature either. Maybe i'm missing something?

Does anyone have any wisdom to share regarding workflow with your favorite brushes? i.e. How do you store them and switch between them quickly?

thanks for any help!

Geo

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, GeorgeR.

Shortcut E is for an eraser.
    I manage my brushes in custom palette by their function... Like first line of brushes in a palette for detail work (2 acrylics and 1 oil), second line for block colors and so on. Don't try to remember the names of brushes, organize them into groups by what you want to do with this particular (or set) brush.

Last edited by teho; May 16th, 2007 at 12:46 PM.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To help with that, save your variant brushes as a new name.

Example, I have a pencil variant, when I went to the brush creator and changed it. I then used the "Arrow" in the Brush Selector Bar menu and did a "Save Variant As" ex. "Creamy Pressure Pencil"

Now when I drag the brush down to the custom palette creator, if you wave your mouse over the brush icon you should see a "tooltip" or alt text telling you the name of the brush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post

I tend to work mostly in acrylic and have a large handful of brushes that i rely on a lot, so i've created a custom palette for them. Problem is - the icon for all acrylic brushes look exactly the same, so it's hard to remember which is which. I thought maybe Painter would have a way to customize brush icons to differentiate them (color-coding, adding text) but that doesn't appear to be true.
    Hi Geo,

When you select a brush variant, then drag the icon into a Custom Palette, you'll see the brush category icon but that brush variant will always be selected again when you click the icon.

In the Help menu, if you see Hide Tool Tips, they're already enabled so you don't need to click anything. If it says Show Tool Tips, click that command to enable Tool Tips.

Go to your Custom Palette and hold your cursor very still over an icon until the name of the brush variant is displayed.

Remember, too, if you click a brush category icon, the name of the brush variant will be displayed on the Brush Selector Bar.

That's two quick ways you can tell what brush variant an icon will make available when it's clicked.

I had also hoped there might be a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to favorite brushes (like an eraser) but I don't see that feature either. Maybe i'm missing something?
    With the Painter IX.5 Update installed, and in Painter X, we have the new "universal" Eraser tool and the default keyboard short to select the Eraser tool is the N key.

For regular brush variants there is no way to select them using keyboard shortcuts.

Does anyone have any wisdom to share regarding workflow with your favorite brushes? i.e. How do you store them and switch between them quickly?

thanks for any help!

Geo
    I use the methods described above, but you can also use the Tracker palette to store up to 25 brush variants. To prevent their being replaced when you choose another brush variant, you can lock them:

NOTE: If you want your locked brush variants to appear in the same order as they appear before locking them, start at the bottom variant, lock it, then move up to the next variant and lock it. Each locked variant will appear at the top of the Tracker palette list, above the last locked variant.

1. In the Tracker palette, highlight the brush variant you want to lock.

2. In the Tracker palette menu, choose Lock Variant.

3. You can choose to display the brush variants in one of the following ways by choosing the appropriate command from the Tracker palette menu:
    • List (displays the name of the brush variant)
    • Thumbnails
    • Stroke

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by teho View Post
    Hi, GeorgeR.

Shortcut E is for an eraser.
    Hi teo,

In Painter IX.5 and Painter X, the default keyboard shortcut for the Eraser tool is the N key

The E key is the default keyboard shortcut for the Rotate Page tool.

The Rotate Page tool can also be temporarily activated while you're painting by holding down the Spacebar+Alt/Option keys. When you let go, the Brush tool is again active.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all really great suggestions! Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll definitely try these techniques.

Members who have read this thread: 1