View Poll Results: Which one should I buy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • MacBook (13-inch: 2.16GHz)

4 40.00%
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch: 2.16GHz)

6 60.00%
    Thanks

Which MacBook should I get?

**FANBOYISM ASIDE**, which MacBook is better, in your honest opinion?

MacBook, 13-inch: 2.16GHz
    (the middle one)

MacBook Pro, 15-inch: 2.16GHz
    (one on the far left)

I wanna buy one at some point either later this year or early next year (whenever Leopard comes out and when I have enough money) for uni 'cause my current laptop (Toshiba Equium EA60-155) is sh*t and slowly dying. I'll be doing an Illustration course so I generally want something fast and powerful (and stays that way!)

I have a computer here at home (EDIT: at my parents'), but don't want to take it with me (EDIT#2: to uni, where I'll probably have little living space) to save room, so desktops are out of the question. Would like something portable anyway.

The main reason why I'm debating between the two is due to the size. The MacBook is more affordable but quite small, and I don't particularly fancy painting on such a teeny screen. I can buy extra RAM to install myself and will be getting an external harddrive soon, so memory isn't too much of a problem.
    Should be able to get around £100 off anyway. Yay student discount~

So what do you guys'n gals think?

Note: Pleeeeaaaaase refrain from turning this into a Mac v.s Microsoft flame war....I just want to know what others think, specifically those who have one already.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Quicksilver; May 15th, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Only gripe with the 13 inch one is that I think it only has an integrated graphics option, not that you need it for illustration, but it's just something I'd prefer.

But if you don't give about that, by all means, the 13" is more portable and a better option for someone that already has a workstation at home. You can just lug it around for classes, which is virtually impossible for a bigger lappy without causing considerable back-strain.

So there

Thanks
    Only problem is 'home' (with parents) is in another country to where my new home will be, so when I go to uni I'll only have whichever one I decide to buy.

Cheers for the input! Will hang on tight and listen to more opinions. There's still a fair few months 'til I can purchase either one of these.

Thanks
    I found the screen on the 13 inch one a bit too cramped for my liking. I've had my 15 inch one for 2 years and I am only just looking to upgrade to a bigger monitor. It was never clumsy to take with me and was the same size as my travel tablet.

My vote is the 15, if you can afford it

Thanks
    The 13" will become too small real quick. The 15" won't and is still portable.

Heh, that's why I got a 15" Powerbook (G4). Decent screen size and is portable.

Thanks
    Damn, I remember when iBooks came in 14".

You're going to have to ask yourself if two extra diagonal inches is worth spending twice as much money on a machine equal to that of its integrated graphic counterpart (integrated graphics meaning absolutely nothing to an illustrator). Honestly, a Mac mini at half these specs is fast enough to illustrate on, so it all comes down to screen size. Maybe you'd be better off getting a second hand Mac Book Pro? They started making them at 1.8GHz.

Also consider how much the RAM you'll have to add to your MacBook will cost. Consider everything!

Thanks
    i think the macbook is one hell of a deal. the macpro has its advantages but for quite a price i think. if size is important, you could always hook up a (second hand) second monitor to your macbook. whatever you do end up with, add heaps of ram...
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Really good points expressed here, and the poll is 50/50, hahah.

I looked at the the MacBook again and it's not tooooo small, I guess....and tensai's suggestion on hooking it up to a larger monitor makes sense (could easily do that in uni ). Will have a ponder, as I'm quite comfortable with my 17"/19" dual screen setup here

Well, I'm still waiting for sodding Leopard to release as I don't particularly want to buy a MacBook/Pro and then have to spend an extra £X afterwards just to install the thing. As for RAM, I'll be buying and extra Gig or two elsewhere and install it myself, and will be purchasing an external harddrive at some point to dump extra crap on. Works out a couple of hundred GBP cheaper than buying it straight from Mac...

Thank you for your views so far! Will see how much money I have to spend on whichever one when Leopard releases. Cheers!

~~Naomi

Thanks
    I was in the same situation as you and this discussion really helped me out. I ended up going with the Macbook Pro because it has a separate, more powerful graphics card. I know it's a lot of money to pay, but with the Pro I can always upgrade the graphics card, whereas with the normal Macbook that would be impossible.
    I tried Photoshop out on both the Macbook and the Mackbook Pro in the store and when I made a huge PS file on the regular Macbook and tried to paint in it there was some serious lag. When I did the same thing in the Macbook Pro there was no lag problem. That was the deciding factor for me.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Which MacBook should I get?
    Don't.
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro View Post
    Don't.
    Then what?

I said 15 inch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynome View Post
    Then what?
    Id go with one of these:
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

The 20" laptop is a monster, both in quality, size and power/performance-and portable (its in my Christmas list)
    Everyone puts down the pc/windows based but at that price you cant beat performance and upgradability. With the Mac theres only a certain limit to your customization, with the pc the possibilities are only limited to how much you want to spend.
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Katfayheirti View Post
    I was in the same situation as you and this discussion really helped me out. I ended up going with the Macbook Pro because it has a separate, more powerful graphics card. I know it's a lot of money to pay, but with the Pro I can always upgrade the graphics card, whereas with the normal Macbook that would be impossible.
    I tried Photoshop out on both the Macbook and the Mackbook Pro in the store and when I made a huge PS file on the regular Macbook and tried to paint in it there was some serious lag. When I did the same thing in the Macbook Pro there was no lag problem. That was the deciding factor for me.
    AHAH! Pro it is Thanks, Kat'!

Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro
    The 20" laptop is a monster, both in quality, size and power/performance-and portable...
    How the hell is 20" portable??

Thanks for your contribution guys'n gals I'll be purchasing the MacBook Pro when Leopard comes out.

Cheers again!

~~Naomi