I Cant Draw My Own Stuff!!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I Cant Draw My Own Stuff!!!

This is my first post, so i dont even know if this is in the right section. But i need help. i cant seem to create an original image. Everyting i draw seems to be a copy or cheap knockoff of somebody elses work, and if it isnt i cant seem to get it right. its like i have the idea in my head but the second i try to draw it, it looks like crap. i want to know if there is anyway to stop copying and put MY ideas on paper. thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps you haven't hit that level yet. We all start out our artistic lives copying other's work so that we figure out HOW to work, what's been done and where to go. Keep exploring art and you'll eventually work yourself out of the "copying" stage.

Also, try drawing from life...then at least you're copying something that is constantly changing and not necessarily recorded in art before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All artists started by copying from someone else's work and expounding on it. The expounding became the "revolutions" of originality.

The only original artists were perhaps the forgotten cave peoples who tried to understand and enjoy their world better through simple renderings and symbols. Even way back then you can see evidence of three dimensions and chiascuro shading. Fun huh?

Just keep doing what you are doing but be absolutely sure you give yourself time to explore. Just make doodles. Maybe you'll draw something you really like that hasn't been done before! Maybe not. But it's worth a try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks. what i had meant to say is more or less that i have a very hard time in drawing things of my own. ive done a few that im happy with but i still have the feeling that they may be a bit to generic... you know what im just gonna show you some doodles ive done maybe you'll see then.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copy other works and observe. Aftersome time, you'll know when or how to draw your own stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what you need is understanding
    drawing is a process like writing and there are rules that remain the same all the time why is noone telling about those ????

this is so lol.. everybody has a nice way to walk around what drawing really is about and even professional guys only tell to draw draw draw copy
    draw from life do they NOT know what drawing is about and its rules n shit ?

is there no one who understands drawing as it is ?????????????????
    looks like noone really takes time to think about how to do it right and properly..superficial crap..*sigh*... seems to be too easy to accept other ppls opinions. instead using the own minds

i smell ignorance :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why wasting time on a rant? Enlighten us instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bona, why don't you come join us in Concept Art 101? The link is in my sig.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have the wrong approach when you start drawing, and I think you can solve most of your problems by following Seedling's Concept Art 101 thread.
    Shameless advertising is a wonderful thing when the product is free .

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well... it's not often mentioned on this forum but lots of great and original imagination drawings and paintings come out from something that's beyond just understanding of technical side of art.
    Everything that you're passionate about will reflect in what you create. If you focus on art itself then you'll just go round in circles. It's dead end.

Let's say you're for example extremely interested in medieval Japan. Then you'll propably try to see how (and why) everything looked back then. Read books, watch albums, go to museums, watch movies connected with this subject. But most importantly instead of copying someones else idea beacause it's cool you will draw for example Samurais beacause they are cool. Originality will come from your personal interpretation.

That's what I see as drawing for life that everybody mentions. Finding some amazing things to analyse that exist (or existed, or will exist) in life instead of searching for amazing things in somebody's portfolio.

Of course I don't see anything wrong in being inpired by somebody's else artwork. It could become your secondary drive .

To be honest I'm not entirely on the path that I mentioned above but I'm trying to go in that direction. Finding originality is really difficult thing.

Last edited by Farvus; May 15th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slightly off-topic; I would love to see a thread where the pros post the artwork they were doing from the ages of 10 - 15. Most artists I've come across, particularly those who are working in comics or animation, were creating work that is very derivative and downright cliche at that age.

A thread like that might help to calm folks like bona (and also provide a few laughs for eachother)... tons of people have been where you are. It's not the end of the world, it's not the stopping point for your development unless you want it to be. It's just frustrating at times and takes some life experience to move through it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis View Post
    Slightly off-topic; I would love to see a thread where the pros post the artwork they were doing from the ages of 10 - 15.
    Heehe. . . I like this idea! Unfortunately I no longer have any of my pre-college work. It's all in my mother's basement, and I won't be able to get to it any time soon.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis View Post
    Slightly off-topic; I would love to see a thread where the pros post the artwork they were doing from the ages of 10 - 15.
    There was a thread not too long ago that went along this line.
    You could always start one. Would be fun.
    The oldest drawings I have are my Pokemon ones back when they were awesome.

On topic: Drawing from life. Sounds illogical, yes, but an object in front of you is infinitely clearer than one that's in your head, no matter how well you imagine it.
    When you can capture imagines from life with skill, then you will start to translated better the wonderful things in your head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats true. Because we live and see the world around us, we are affected by everything we see, and the best concepts are always made with that hint of reality, which is what makes it believable. So logically, if you understand the world around you and what it really looks like, you can manipulate it enough to come up with amazing stuff, which you can then stylize if you want.
    I'm still in my early learning stages, but the idea of this has really helped me out to create something of my own rather than the copying I did last year. In fact, when i was around 13-14, I actually traced stuff (which was still cliche and kind of lame) and coloured it in just to understand. (embarassing confession) =D

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.