SCAD for sequential art/cartooning/comics?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SCAD for sequential art/cartooning/comics?

I'm looking at this school, and it seems too good to be true. Has anyone gone there, for this specifically, and can tell me... anything? Everything? Any information is helpful. I know it's late in the game to be wondering for the fall, but they say their application deadline is... never? Is that okay? Is it a good school for that? I was also looking at SVA, since I adore quite a few of their alumni... But they're much more expensive and I'd have to wait a year to apply since I flaked out.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you're an international student, SVA has rolling admissions as well for most departments.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, this is true. I'm still thinking about applying there, just in case they've got space and want to take lil old me. I'm just wondering in the theoretical case that I could go to either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just graduated from the Seqa Art dept at SCAD (Which I ADORED and frequently recommend). There have been many, many posts on both subjects and you are welcome to use the search function to find them. If you have other specific or personal questions, feel free to ask me in PM or here.

In the past, SCAD has practiced open-enrollment wherein you can become a student at any time of the year. However, I've heard rumors that they are changing that because they couldn't afford to have all necessary classes open at all quarters. Double-check your sources and then apply ASAP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as I know, SCAD has a rolling admission. There's nothing bad with that. The only thing is, if you apply too close to the start of enrollment (and are accepted), tuition and other fees are strictly out-of-pocket. Apply ASAP so that your financial aid will kick in a few months down the road.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you seem to be just like me. I too, fell in love with the school after I took the first tour at SCAD-Atlanta. Except I haven't started yet. I start Spring of 08, originally it was spring of this year, but I decided to take all my other classes at a two year college and take my core classes at the school. But still, I wanna do sequential art, cartoons, and animation. Show some of your work if you can. Later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm gunning for spring now. Or next fall. (See why I'm not in a school yet? I'm so indecisive.) I'm applying now, though, so at least you know. I've done that part.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm currently a SCAD-Savannah sequential major. They sent reps out to my area every year when I was in highschool but I remained skeptical until I finally determined I wanted to do sequential art coupled with a minor in game design. Guess where I want to do concept art?

As far as the school is concerned, I love the Sequential Department, and there are a lot of good professors in the foundations courses. Mellis is correct about applying as soon as possible and getting your financial aid to process before you start attending. I won't lie... it is an expensive school. But, it's also not that difficult to net decent scholarships from them. Look into it, especially if you have a killer portfolio or if you are decent in your classes. There are three levels of academic scholarships for incoming students. Even if your portfolio won't make jaws drop to the floor, submit it. You'll probably get at least a little bit of money for it.

I ended up at SCAD not only because of the Sequential Department, but because it offered me a decent scholarship as opposed to RISD. All in all, I wouldn't trade it for any of the other college I've attended. In the two years I've been here, my skills have been pushed far beyond where I thought they'd ever reach.

And yet more props for the Sequential Department. The professors are an awesome group of individuals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to hear that about the professors! My main concern was that the TWO graduates whose work I know are... Well... They leave room for concern. Not to say they aren't good and they didn't get picked up or anything, but compared to the ones SVA can boast... But if the teachers are good, all the better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm excited about going to SCAD. i'll be in the same dept. next year. good luck to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.