Sketchbook: Shea's sketchbook [7/18/07]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shea's sketchbook [7/18/07]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shea's sketchbook [7/18/07]

Hello everyone! I hope this sketchbook helps me with improving my drawing skills
    I don't finish allot of my stuff, thats also one of my many weak points that i have to work on.

Here goes nothing

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sheavolution; June 9th, 2007 at 06:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOOO! KANKURO!!!

Great Wolf! If you unify the last cats nose by enclosing it in a inverted triangle that'll be great!

Great Start!
    Post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi shea, niche stuff, i like your animals ;-) and the first ass kicks butt...ähhhh... the first butt kicks ass (or something..)

here a few suggestions:

-visit youtube and search for "digitalbobert", he has lots of videos about digital painting and he's very motivating!! kicked my ass.. (butt??) ;-)

-visit http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=166&t=226083 for
    a very great listing of books and resources about everything art-related. the andrew-loomis-books are worth their weight in gold.

thats what helped me alot, hope u can use some of these. Keep posting!!

cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking nice! If you want help with colors, or even if you don't, I highly suggest you do some of the exercises at the Peer Project 2. The digitalbobert (AKA Bobby Chui) videos are also amazingly motivating. (And as long as I'm rambling about digital painting, try and keep your brush size up! Tiny brushes make a mucky painting.)
    Lastly, on the next to last piece the eyes are on the wrong plane. The one on the right is correctly placed, but notice that if you drew a line through the eyes, it would be horizontal, but the rest of the face turns to the left (briefly, move the left eye.)

Hope that helped! I know I tend to ramble. Anyway, keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great timing, my computer died yesterday night and currently saving for a new one. At the moment i'm posting this @ work, so cant show you guys my figure studies and dont have alot time to reply but thanks for the kind words...

Bard: Thanks for the crit, i'll fix it when i can access my computer.

Kfeeras: Hello! thanks for your reply, and thank you for the Bobby links, I checked a few and they are really nice.

Cup of Joe: Thanks for your reply, cant wait to try the Peer project, guess i have to wait with that Didnt notice the eye problem till you said it, thanks

Shea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found myself a scanner:
    Few more pics to share with you lot, 1-5 = doodles and the last one is kinda old but I still like it. (Ignore the guy's hair, I know )

Soooo much to study..

Shea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the way you arrange your studies.
    Great work...

thedestroyer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thedestroyer View Post
    I really like the way you arrange your studies.
    Great work...

thedestroyer
    Thanks destroyer!

More old stuff, can't scan my images atm so that has to wait.

Pic 4+5 are marker drawings from ref, did those 2 for school.
    About pic 17, the girl that has colour is not my line-art, its Artgerms
    *back to my sketchbook*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17/5/07

Not the most exciting stuff ever..

Hmm, cant get that thumbnail to work, anyone knows why?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    comments/crits are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet sketches, keep doing those every day. Really nice start on your sb, good that you update often too. Damnit i got to do some of them figure studies as well... keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, good start for a sketchbook.
    Replies come with time and some patience, but they come if you show you'e motivated and you update often regardless of the replies.

Make sure you start studying concetrating on the aspect to improve, may it be line quality, anatomy and all the rest.About anatomy, books DO help if you use 'em.Check out Loomis, Hogart and Bridgeman, do life drawings when you can, but most of all, you're bound to improve if you just keep 'on drawing.
    Just my two cents

keep sharing, i'll be back
    ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy, thanks for stopping by in my SB!

so, you said that I've helped you, I just don't know how exactly. .. oh well

i like ylour body studies, but let me ask you smething ... are they exactly like that or you have either erased or you adjusted the level on photoshop after scanning?
    it is just because for me helps immensely building the constructions lines to guide me ... that and the divisions lines to help me with proportion ... oh well, my drawings are not that good to say taht they "help" me hehe ... but even though, I am basing more on drawings I ve seen in other SBs

keep the good work and keep posting!

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Sarcophagus: Thanks for looking and i'll try to post at least 1 drawing a day.

@ TheGnoll: w00t! If they want me to stop posting they have to ban me from the forums. I got the Loomis books, not a bad idea to look at those again..thanks for your reply

@ brunopicinini: Hey man! Yep, you made me realize i have to do more studies. I was looking at your sketchbook and saw all these thumb studies.. looked good and you learn allot from em. To answer your question; I use construction lines but want to keep em as light as possible. All my older drawings got these messy lines and I'm trying to get rid of that. When I'm done I use my kneaded eraser.

Too tired to scan in new stuff, will do that tomorrow

Shea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did these faces while watching Forrest Gump..

Older stuff (a5)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really nice sketches, but some look a little rushed. try takin some real time over say a face or figure, really working at the lighting and form, and you may be suprised by how much knowledge sticks from that single drawing. Your women figures do look really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you've posted a lot of stuff quick. There's some good stuff here. I saw your post over in the SSG thread. Wanna come join the Fightin' 44th?

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies. I especially like the tree/background you posted, it has very strong stylised lines and has a certain atmosphere around it.

I'd like to see more sketches on form and anatomy. And your women figures are very good btw (I suck at them)

Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies!!

Wookiedabo: You're right, I rush my drawings too much.. i'll try to work on that

Quick digital sketches, trying to get comfortable with sketching with my wacom. I had ref for these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches man. Other people allready adviced you to study more anatomy; it's the only way to get proportions right. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those digital sketches look great! Looks like you're getting the feel for the Wacom already. I remember it felt pretty weird when I got my first one.

Anyway, on the sketches themselves -- pretty solid. The only crits are that the arms on the first two (is that Britney Spears?) look a little weird -- something about how the elbows are bending -- and it looks like you chickened out on the hand on the second one. Actually, looking over your sketchbook, it looks like a lot of your figures kinda fade out around the wrist area. Work on those hands, man!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bartovan: Thanks for looking
    funfetus: I dont like hands! Boo, maybe its time to do something about it.. About the sketches, hmm you are right about the arms weird that i didnt notice before. (nah isn't britney spears, its a gap model i think)

new stuff: boring figures and tv doodles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update, Shea. I like the creatures on the first page -- especially the bird thing.
    One thing I notice with your figures is that some of the more dynamic poses (like the woman swinging the sword) look kinda stiff, because the body is only bending, not twisting. If you're swinging a sword like that, the line of your shoulders will be at a pretty sharp angle to the line of your hips. If you were looking straight down on someone doing that, the line of the shoulders and the hips would make an X. I drew up something to demonstrate -- if you'd rather I didn't post stuff like this on your sketchbook, let me know. But I hope it helps.

The structures on the last page are really cool designs, but the perspective is pretty off, especially on the...I dunno...mausoleum?

Keep drawing.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you are completely right about the twisting, and of course i don't mind that you post something to help me. I'll work on it on my next gestures. Hehe, perspective is probably my biggest problem.

Something else: guess its a WIP, I had someone to pose for me for a short while, the rest is from my imagination. don't know if I continue working on it, already bored with it. I learned allot from doing the piece, even if it still has bad errors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see any "bad errors" -- it looks pretty good to me. The proportion is good. The face looks a little lopsided, bu I don't know if part of it is supposed to be covered by hair. Her left cheek looks somewhat fatter than her right. Also, I don't see a definitive light source. If you had a strong light source, it'd be easier to "sculpt" the figure and make it look more solid. Good that you drew the hand. The drawing of the hand looks good, but the position of the hand looks unnatural. Try finding a similar object and holding it up in the mirror, so you can see how your fingers naturally wrap around it.

Keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches, nothing serious.. I'm thinking about joining this weeks CHOW (Soul collector) but not sure if I got enough time to finish it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are making progress. However, drawing from life would help you out more than drawing from photos. I see you getting slowly into life-drawing, which is great! Keep it up.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Seedling! 100% agreed about the life-drawing, I don't have many people around me that would like to pose for me though. Nice weather is on it's way so I can get out and do some quick sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're looking good! Nice twist on that figure in the first page. I really like the one with the hat on, too. In the armless-torso woman on the first white page, there's something weird going on around her stomach. My guess is that it was the bump from her ribcage, and it kinda drifted. I find that, Betty Edwards notwithstanding, it's good to "draw what you know" along with what you see, especially when working from photographs, to keep weirdness from creeping in. Overall, it's a nice page, though.

My only other crit is on the hands. One thing that's jumping out at me is that the fingers look like sausages. They're hardly tapering at all, and I think you're exaggerating the segmentation. Look at your own fingers, and notice how much smaller the last joint is than the first. Their also shouldn't be much segmentation in their outlines when you look at them from the front like that. Actually, looking again, the two on the bottom are pretty good. The top two is where I'm seeing the problem. The very top one, also -- the palm looks too short. It's wider than it is long, when it should be the other way around.

Overall, nice update! Keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work. overall u have a good sense of everything, some of your life studies are really nice, particularly those which u have taken more time on. try and catch a lot of the sublties in form. woudl lvoe to see more of your finished pieces. looks like you have some great talents.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.