References about Pricing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

References about Pricing

Since 3 out of 4 threads in the employment discussion is a question about how much to charge for a job, I decided to make a sticky about pricing advices.

You pros are invited to contribute to it, that way we can point posters to it rather than repeat the same info 36 times a week.

--------
    My first tip is to get this book Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
    Product description from Amazon
    The most respected single reference for buyers and sellers of creative work returns in an updated ninth edition, containing the latest, essential information on business, pricing, and ethical standards for nearly every discipline in the visual communications industry--from advertising to publishing to corporate markets.
    --------
    My second tip is if you are not from North America, look into local artists associations an guilds they often have pricing guidelines, even if these are not as comprehensive as the GAG handbook.
    --------
    My third tip is in case what you are doing is not listed in the book or you simply don't have the book. Evaluate the time the job will take you, add time for revisions, decide on a per hour rate, multiply it by the time you will need. Then evaluate the materials needed, add to the amount for time or quote separately. There you are. It's probably the best way to rate jobs like game assets or portrait commissions. Log the time you spend on project so that you can better evaluate the time you need later for similar assignements.
    --------
    My fourth tip is not so much about the price per say. Make a quote template with your terms of services on it and a personalized letterhead. Stating the rights you give for that price and your payment terms upfront looks professional.
    --------
    Fifth tip, especially if you are working for a non-start-up company, try to make your client make an offer, you could be surprised that he offers more than you wanted to ask. The worst that can happen is that you have to make a counter offer, if they think it's too high, they would have thought that even if you had made the quote first anyways.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great idea Qitusne! Thanks for making this.

Here's a couple of links I have:
    Estimate tutorial
    This tutorial goes through general considerations you should make (hours, materials, usage, etc.) when determining an estimate.

Creative Business
    This website has useful free sample forms such as this Estimating Worksheet.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to emily g For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks so much quitsune

Last edited by kendi; June 2nd, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just eat and hug.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

References about Pricing

Just found this, it should offer some good book-ends for those who are struggling to figure out what to charge. ***I would guess that the fees / rates quoted are for seasoned illustrators so, if you're starting out, you may want to drop the fee by 20 - 30% (potentially... it's your call).

http://www.theaoi.com/Mambo/index.ph...=409&Itemid=33

Wacomitis - fear of an empty bank account.

PORTFOLIO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Verithin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Please note that
    1. Those prices are in British pounds, so be sure to convert for your currency.
    2. Rates tend to be lower in Europe than America.
    3. Those are a few years old.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell...

Thanks for the heads-up, I was guessing they were in pounds. So... after conversion what % would you increase the rate by for today's market?

Conversion formula would be:

X listed rate / 50% (around) ='s Y

Y x (Elwell %) = Z

Z + Y ='s rate you should charge (ballpark).

That make sense?

Wacomitis - fear of an empty bank account.

PORTFOLIO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it particularly interesting that they take an 8 hr day and subtract 1 hr for lunch. At every company I've worked for, you're there for 9 hrs and take 1 hr for lunch to total 8 hrs of work. Is that different in different countries?

Of course, I've heard of some companies keeping you for 9 hours and complaining if you take a lunch, but no company I would work for...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It all depends on where you work, I've had weeks varying from 35, 37.5 or 40 hours a week that were all considered "full time" for the company where I was. YOU decide how many hours a week you want to work..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just adding this link to this thread:

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FlipMcgee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    It all depends on where you work, I've had weeks varying from 35, 37.5 or 40 hours a week that were all considered "full time" for the company where I was. YOU decide how many hours a week you want to work..
    Is there such a thing as a 40 hour week? When I'm on a project (especially movies) there are no set hours. You are expected to just do your job and do it well for as long as it takes (most of the time 60-80 hour weeks 6-7 days a week for a few months at a time on films). I find that most freelance is that way. At least mine has been. Of course you are compensated handsomly for all your time and work so you can't complain. In a perfect world all shoot for 40 hour weeks ;-). Ahhhhh.......to be a banker.......Just my 2 cents for what it's worth (which may be nothing :-))....

Craig

Craig Gilmore
    Veteran Illustrator
    *Premiere Storyboarding and Conceptual artwork*

I.A.T.S.E. union member
    Art for Motion Pictures, Television, Video Games, Comic Books, Advertising
    http://www.craiggilmore.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is advice on calculating rates, not on actually getting the work done, I might not have been clear. If you set your fees to be comfortable working 40 hours a week but end up working 80 because the project requires it, you'll be twice as rich won't you? My point is, don't lower your rates because you work more than a standard "shop" schedule and end up doing the same money at the end. Hard work should have fitting compensation. And when doing freelance casual game art I rarely if ever crunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point and good advice.

Craig

Craig Gilmore
    Veteran Illustrator
    *Premiere Storyboarding and Conceptual artwork*

I.A.T.S.E. union member
    Art for Motion Pictures, Television, Video Games, Comic Books, Advertising
    http://www.craiggilmore.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great thread!! I'm hoping to become a Free Lance artist soon so this info is all really handy, bookmarked!!!

Cheers!

Cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found this, PAGE RATES FOR INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS AND STUDIOS doesnt really apply to conceptual art, but theres a few comic artists around here.

-JL

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for everyone's inpuit here.its a big help for freelance artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANKS ALL WHO HAVE POSTED IN THIS THREAD

Your help in giving people starting out or looking at breaking in, has been greatly appriciated by me and im sure so many more. Keep up the great work this is a thread im sure to return to often.

Cheers from Australia.

JEWLES OF THE DAMNED (blurb) Novel in progress
    True of heart,his destiny will destroy the world. In him chaos will live and true evil will once again walk this earth. Born from malice he shall rule hand in hand with vengence, and when the greatest of evils takes form it will be the innocent who corrupt the righteous. Thjen bathed in the kingdom of darkness the virtuous will forget the chaste. Jewlels of the damned the shall be, cursed. Never the same, forever lost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

excellent rate calculator

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrSmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good thread. Useful and appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting this ladies and gentleman. I am sure its a big help to me as it is to others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Consider your overhead.

I saw a job offer today where the potential employer offered 5 euros for a seemingly simple job. I was thinking to myself that 5 euros is not even worth the time it takes to answer the offer (let alone do that job) and I thought a little break down of the thought process could be useful to some.

Some of you might be aware of the terms billable and non-billable hours. Some freelancers cherge by the hour and clearly they can't bill their clients for the clerical day to day work that goes into running their business such as writing up quotes, invoicing, and marketing. They make up for that by having a higher hourly rate.

If you work for a fixed rate, you have to consider your overhead as well. Let's say my goal is to make 20$ an hour and I see a job offer for 5$, well it's 15 minutes of my time. Hmmm.... Say it's something very very simple that I think could take me 15 minutes (however unlikely that is) I also have to consider the time I will take to write to the employer, propose my services, see with him if there is a contract, whip one up if there isn't, do the job, revisions, invoice and administrative tasks related to getting the money on paypal . Say everything goes smoothly, and it takes only 30 minutes all in all for the non-billable work... I end up having worked 45 minutes for 5$, 6.66$/h.

That's why you can charge less for a large amount of small items than for just a handful, because you can streamline the administrative tasks, and because you can pick up speed as you do the job too.

Hope this helps.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this should be recommended to commissioners also. Like myself. That way they have some concept and guidelines on what to expect from artists' work for their own budget(s). I have been told numerous times that I overpay artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    I saw a job offer today where the potential employer offered 5 euros for a seemingly simple job. I was thinking to myself that 5 euros is not even worth the time it takes to answer the offer (let alone do that job) and I thought a little break down of the thought process could be useful to some.

Some of you might be aware of the terms billable and non-billable hours. Some freelancers cherge by the hour and clearly they can't bill their clients for the clerical day to day work that goes into running their business such as writing up quotes, invoicing, and marketing. They make up for that by having a higher hourly rate.

If you work for a fixed rate, you have to consider your overhead as well. Let's say my goal is to make 20$ an hour and I see a job offer for 5$, well it's 15 minutes of my time. Hmmm.... Say it's something very very simple that I think could take me 15 minutes (however unlikely that is) I also have to consider the time I will take to write to the employer, propose my services, see with him if there is a contract, whip one up if there isn't, do the job, revisions, invoice and administrative tasks related to getting the money on paypal . Say everything goes smoothly, and it takes only 30 minutes all in all for the non-billable work... I end up having worked 45 minutes for 5$, 6.66$/h.

That's why you can charge less for a large amount of small items than for just a handful, because you can streamline the administrative tasks, and because you can pick up speed as you do the job too.

Hope this helps.

If it's a really simple job that can be done really first by an artist I don't see anything wrong. However I have noticed a lot of employers wanting top work for really low prices.

That's why I tell so many employers to save up first so you can find a top of the line artist that fits your project to the "T"

Lately though alot of employers want Alex Ross,James Ryman work for dirt cheap. It really dosen't work that way. But like I said if the employer wants a simple fast job than it's fine. I've done a $30-40 sketch jobs myself.

My online galleries

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database...l?gallery=4001
    http://ebony-chan.deviantart.com/

---------------------------------------------------
    The past is history, the future is a Mystery and the present is a gift.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is no such thing as I hope in success either you succeed or fail.
    -----------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredwalker View Post
    I have been told numerous times that I overpay artists.
    I have to wonder WHO is telling you that you over pay artists. If people who have no clue about the field suggest that you over pay artists, then it's extremely likely they are just not familiar with the amount of work involved in producing quality artwork. These same people seem to think that going to their cousins high school aged son is a perfectly acceptable way to get art done (which is about the same as asking a kid who does pretty good in math to do all of your accounting).

If you TRUELY have been over paying artists, then you are one of the very very few (and god bless you if you are). Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect that you are just getting pricing advice from people who just don't know how to value art services.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was my first thought as well, learn to be wary of who you get your information from. A guy once told me that I should stop drawing characters and focus on environments because that's where the jobs are...but the guy telling me this works at Staples...whether he's right or wrong, he's in no possition to be giving me career advice. If the people saying you're overpaying aren't full time artists themselves then they probably don't know what they are talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wilson View Post
    I have to wonder WHO is telling you that you over pay artists. If people who have no clue about the field suggest that you over pay artists, then it's extremely likely they are just not familiar with the amount of work involved in producing quality artwork. These same people seem to think that going to their cousins high school aged son is a perfectly acceptable way to get art done (which is about the same as asking a kid who does pretty good in math to do all of your accounting).

If you TRUELY have been over paying artists, then you are one of the very very few (and god bless you if you are). Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect that you are just getting pricing advice from people who just don't know how to value art services.
    You may be right. Although I will say the people that tell me this are in fact other artists (or so they say in some cases). Maybe they are saying that so that they can get the assignments that I offer. I guess more the reason to check the references of pricing, huh? If so, then I guess I see why I have fallen for that trap from time to time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Alexander View Post
    That was my first thought as well, learn to be wary of who you get your information from. A guy once told me that I should stop drawing characters and focus on environments because that's where the jobs are...but the guy telling me this works at Staples...whether he's right or wrong, he's in no possition to be giving me career advice. If the people saying you're overpaying aren't full time artists themselves then they probably don't know what they are talking about.
    Hey man! What have you got against Staples!!! They're professionals! Didn't you read their "That Was Easy" slogan?!? That's proof!
    Just joking.

Seriously though I see your point. Someone not in the field giving you career advice is rude. Then again, maybe its all about presentation. Not eveyone who gives advice are totally ignorant of your field even if they not in the field. Unless they stand behind the "That Was Easy" slogan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem I have isn't knowing what I'm worth but getting people to want to pay those prices... So many people get turned away even after I try to be flexible. It's very discouraging. Just to make resume material sometimes I have to take my prices down to a ridiculous level.

It's not fair the clients think its so easy. They are also content with crappy work so they will just screw the better artists and find someone in highschool or college that they can trick for free. It's awful.

I have yet to find a solid way around this problem and only after my 4th straight year of freelancing have I come to a few clients willing to pay me what I'm barely worth.

Good guide though, great resources. Only problem with GAG handbooks are that they are re released often and I can't always afford the updates. It's a good place to start no matter which one you use but I just hate feeling out of the current loop of prices.

Here's my awesome, pro website.
    http://www.aoyamacraig.com

Character designer/Illustrator looking for studio work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azuma, your work is quite good, it might be time for you to move to bigger clients who are more accustomed to working with pros and to the prices pros charge. There is a category of clients who don't really know better but when you start working with corporate clients, money becomes a secondary question to deadlines and quality. I had barely started to scratch the field of corporate clients before going into full time employment so I'm afraid I don't have more specific advise, but your stuff is of a caliber that could interest clients with the budget to hire you. Hint: you might find some here, but it's better to contact them directly.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very kind of you to say so..! And thank you for your response. I definitely believe that bigger clients who have already worked with committed artists would understand such things but only now have I been able to actually start looking into studio work of some kind. That's the real goal right there.

I'll definitely be trying to find some close-contact venues such as direct email addresses or phone numbers to score an interview. Freelancing is an unsteady road for sure but it'd be nice to do on the side of something more... salary-oriented.

Thanks very much again for your advice and feedback.

Here's my awesome, pro website.
    http://www.aoyamacraig.com

Character designer/Illustrator looking for studio work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 52