Three's Company (3 illstirations by me C&C)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hi just want to tell you guys here on the conceptart board that i'm new (just got my acount). im 17 years old and i been lurking ca for a few months ago and now im hopeless adicted. these ar a few of my drawings, i hope you guys can comment and critique so i can get better. thanks i just got into illsutrating so plese be kind.

Pllushies
    This is my first attempt at charackter design. Its suppose to be a combat vehicule for perhaps a movie or game. i did this during my etermediate art class and my US history class becuse i sit in the back the teacher doesnt bug me. total time spent is around 2 hours.

Melp
    i have problems drawing the secound eye so i like to put hair in that place. hes suppose to be a magician of dark relation but his master turn him into a doll and into a girl. i fee like there is something wrong with the picture but i cant put my tounge on it. total time spent is 4 hours at home, it took me the longest on the shading.

wavemasters
    these are my two oringinal characters, sylvia blake and manorax wylf . i used the egg and a bunch of geomitric shapes to make the proportions right on hte picture but it still looks clunky. ive read a bunch of books on proportion mostly how to draw manga but i can never get it right! its frustrating. total time spent is around 1.5 hours.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

i got sum questions.
    whats better gimpshop or pshop? what should iwork on? thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see new artists starting out. The more creative people the better!

Picture 1: I don't really know what to comment since I'm not really sure what it is. But generally work on your linework. Use longer strokes, instead of small scratches. You'll get smoother and less wobbly lines this way.

Picture 2: The eye is way too high up, it should be where the tattoo is, same with the ear.

Picture 3: Same thing with the line work. Characters are stiff as there's not much structure to them. In addition, generally stick with 3/4 view as opposed to front view. It adds dimension and is less boring.

If you're into character design, I strongly suggest going to some life drawing sessions. They're not very expensive and they really really help a lot. Focus on short sessions (30seconds - 3 minutes). It'd be even better if you can get a tutor. Don't focus on detail, but rather on blocking in shapes and structure. By doing this you'll learn very quickly and your character designs will improve drastically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the feedback- i really apprciate it.but i have one thing to say why are you so picky. some of this is my own style and all artists have styles right? once again, thanks
    i can't wait until i can get ahold of photoshop but it cost oto much so i might get gimpshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I'm not trying to be picky, sorry if it came out that way. It's just recommendations for things to work on as you develop your skills. There are obviously many ways to do things but things like using 3/4 view is generally more appealing to people. As for structure, it's just basics that are helpful when you work with anything character based. It'll help you build better poses and the better your knowledge of structure, the easier for you to deviate from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldnt bother with photoshop or the gimp yet really. Only thing I can add to Dyao is, work on your basics. Make loads of spheres, cylinders, cubes etc, and apply that knowledge in figure drawing classes and general life drawing.

Also instead of photoshop, use the money to get Bridgeman, Hogarth, Loomis and Villpu books.

And about the style, style develops during your learning process. This will be very harsh, but you havent learned alot yet. You cant just start drawing in a style without a very solid base

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try not to avoid things that make you problems. That's exactly where
    you can learn something new. So if you have problems drawing eyes,
    draw as much faces from photos or life as you can. Be precise, observe
    well and you will improve quickly (maybe not in a day, but in a week you will
    notice the difference ) Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, you gotta realize where you are posting. This is concept art dot org and most guys here are professionals and students of conceptart and/or Illustration. Please browse through the forums here. Style is something that is attained. Don't go for style work on painting realistically. That is if you want attention from the big guns. Right now they won't waste their time with you, if you are not receiving crits in the beginning. Start by doing life drawing, a lot of it. Seedling has a concept art 101 thing that you can do as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalpate View Post
    thank you for the feedback- i really apprciate it.but i have one thing to say why are you so picky. some of this is my own style and all artists have styles right?
    You posted in the Critique thread, asking for people to critique your work. No offence intended, but I don't think you're at the crit stage yet -- these are sketches, and should be in a sketch thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Telling people on this site that "this is my style", is sure to get you into trouble. many users have done it before, and all they did was getting everyone else angry at them. But as you wrote that you appreciate the crits given, I think you could be humble enough to manage. 99% of the time you get crits on this site, people are just saying what thay think to help, not to hurt. And the first step to getting better is realising what you do wrong, so when people point that out to you, you're right in thanking them! I also agree that you should stay away from digital art programmes for now, it's much more important that you leanr the basics on with pencil and paper.

Four thing you could do:

1. Read everything on these forums, but not just the cool five-star threads with the perfect art. Read all the threads with beginner art, as the people posting them will get comments by other people, and the advice given there you can use as well!

2. Check this thread out, and do the assignments in it: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332

3. Get a friend. Ask him/her to sit on a chair and not to move! Try drawing your friend as realistically as possible, and DRAW WHAT YOU SEE, not what you think you see. What I mena is, if your friend has an eye, and I think he has, don't just draw what you think an eye looks like, draw HIS/HER eye! The way IT looks. And so on, with the other eye, the nose, the mouth, etc, etc. Do this as many times and as often as possible. If your friend doesn't wnat to, draw yourself in the mirror!

4. DRAW EVERY DAY, practice, practice, practice!!!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is some little white kid trying to be funny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking he's either a sore loser (no, your drawings aren't perfect, sorry) or just a troll. Seriously, criticizing Cannibalcandy in his own sketchbook thread? Bad form mate, bad form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, hes a goon from somethingawful.com you fools, only cool people like myself could possibly spot that, so i forgive you guys!

pink fluffy happy hugs ciao! xxxxx

go back to SA.com and tell Lowtax LJ said his a "Poes", thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Is this actually supposed to be manga style artwork? If it is its actually an insult to everything i stand for. I read some of your other comments on other peoples work you should probably try re-reading those how to draw manga books and your teacher from where ever the hell he's from if he tought you to draw like that he should probably go re-read them also. Your anatomy porportions are all wrong. You should really strongly consider taking help from the Concept art 101 board...any way next thing you post I sincerely hope its of higher standards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I agree with everything said thus far.

"A perfect machine can be made from imperfect parts."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I agree too, but where is he now? ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahahahhahahahahaa

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Members who have read this thread: 1