View Poll Results: Was it worth the loan??

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 57.89%
  • No

8 42.11%
    Thanks

Was the loan worth it?

Was it worth it, taking out that massive loan for art school??

~JB
    Last edited by Zazulathi; May 10th, 2007 at 03:21 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    School was fun. Was it worth it? I think so. Even though I rant about it with my friends all the time, those were the good times.
    The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    I'm not voting in the poll, as I didn't go to art school... or any other college. But nothing beats being debt free IMHO.

Thanks
    If you guys don't mind me asking, are you guys able to easily get work without going to any school these days? I've been thinking about this recently. Being self taught, scheduling your own hours and being debt free would be the best route it seems, but if you can't get accepted anywhere because you don't have any degree then...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
I don't know how many times I've heard that an artist doesn't need a degree.
If you have the right skills, no one will say 'you won't get the job, because you didn't go to school' that won't matter a shit since you can pull of the job they are asking you to do.

A good thing ( which I hope i will be able to do ) is to get into a creative environment, which an art school can provide. Its always a bigger joy to do something together with other people. And you get easier inspired to draw, paint, sculpt or whatever you are doing, no matter the skills of the other people around you = )

-D

Thanks
    If doing what you do makes you happy, yes it was worth it.

Gotta ask though, how massive is "massive"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    Gotta ask though, how massive is "massive"?
    Depends what school, I suppose...
    Last edited by ceberae; May 9th, 2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: forgot the quote

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    True, seeing as hes in Vancouver it's probably VFS which is like $30,000 to $50,000 depending what you do pld:

Thanks
    Ouch. May want to move to Ontario?

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    I learned more in 1 week of reading posts on CA then i did in my entire time in art school. bleh.

The experience of being in college, however, was worth it. And when i transfered to a state school after 2 years in art school, i got my money's worth from college.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Money comes and goes. It's an elaborate printing process on some special paper.

Education is priceless. For good, bad, better or worse, education in which you actually learn and APPLY something is priceless...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    I haven't finished my course yet, but I think it's worth it already.
    Not only am I learning new things, it keeps me drawing and motivated.

Thanks
    I guess i am classifying massive, anywhere between 25 000 - 100 000.

~JB

Thanks
    To me it's not worth it, but I haven't finished it and gotten a chance to apply what I'm "learning." But just being around CA and IRC, I have learned a lot more about certain things than I have in school art wise. I'm going for Architecture, so I guess art is inevitable and a good thing to know somewhat. I'm already 15k in debt and I still have around 4-5 years left in my "education."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I don't know how many times I've heard that an artist doesn't need a degree.
    If you have the right skills, no one will say 'you won't get the job, because you didn't go to school' that won't matter a shit since you can pull of the job they are asking you to do.
    People don't say this to mean that you shouldn't go to school, they say this to mean that you need to fully apply yourself and learn and develop as much as possible. Going to school (particularly a decent school) can be invaluable to your artistic development if you are focused and dedicated.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks

Thumbs up worth it 100%

It was worth it to me. I spent 3 years going to traditional illustration then finally they offered Digital Media Illustration and I switched over to that making my term last 5 years....I loved school. I was always inspired and the people I met were invaluable to my growth as an artist and a person. It was definitely worth it.

Thanks
    Havent been to art school yet, but imo, the friends you make will likely keep in contact with you for the rest of your life.
    Why such a massive loan though? Apply for a scholarship if that is possible too.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'd have to say it was worth it...it pains me a bit when I think about how much I owe, but in the end its just money. Plenty of people spend more on a car then I owe for my education, and its never going to break down, or get wrecked. For me it was a matter of being introduced to a production style environment and meeting people that were actually doing what I wanted to do, before that it almost seemed foolishly unachieveable. If you don't know anyone, and have never read any stories of how people got into doing things like working in the video game of vfx industry (I was unaware of the internet communites like this and CGtalk before going to an industry oriented school) it seems like an wall that you can never find the right ladder to climb. Going to an industry oriented school also was a bit of a wakeup call in terms of my art. For 2 years after graduating from a 4 year, liberal arts school I basically worked completely on my own...I didn't have any friends that were artists, nor, like I said did I know about online communities such as this (although that would have been almost 6 years ago at this point, so they were certainly less widespread.) So getting to school and encountering some driven, amazingly talented people, that were more passionate about what they were doing than anyone I had previously met was a good, and much needed kick in the ass.

In the end though, everyone's road is a little bit different, and the worst, most useless thing you can do is regret an experience. It may not have gotten you 100% "there" or even taken you in the right direction, but if going down that road made you realize it was the wrong one, and redirected your course then maybe it needed to happen. I sometimes wish that I had gone to a hardcore traditional art school the first time instead of going to UNC Chapel Hill...but thats doing a terrible injustice to all the experiences I had while going there, all of which have gone on to shape me as a person. Its interesting how it seems like education is getting short shifted in order to get to the workplace faster and faster, which I think is a travesty. With that system, you're going to end up with a bunch of people trained to do one thing, but unable to adapt or understand the rest of the world.

"No one can become really educated without having pursued some study in which he took no interest. For it is part of education to interest ourselves in subjects for which we have no aptitude." ~ T S Eliot
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    I answered yes, only because I left school early. It was worth it, for the time I went. Any longer, and I wouldn't have voted this way... then again, if I had a different major or a different school, my opinion could be different.
    JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com