Thanks

Epson Stylus Photo R1800

Anyone have this printer? What do you think? Are there better printers in the $500 price range? I need something that can at least do 13" x 44"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have this printer. The ink is expensive, and so is the paper, but the prints are unbelievable!

I print both photograph and artwork... photographs come off this as good as a traditional photo lab (or better even), and artwork comes away stunning! I've never done rolled paper with this machine, but I see no reason why it woldn't perform just as well as the 13x19 prints I've done. Pritns all the way to the edge on the premium paper types.... just friggin awesome all the way around ('cept for having to buy ink)

Thanks
    Check out the Canon PIXMA Pro9000. Not only can it print out 13x19 (technically it can print out longer via landscape output) - it can print on heavy rag and canvas.

Oh and sorry for sounding like a darn commercial!

I was in serious need for a good printer that would allow me to print out larger and excellent quality prints. So I looked at the Epson you're asking about. I already had an older Epson and it STILL works unbelievably great so I thought I should stick with Epson. But the damn print cartridges! Whenever I had to clean the heads or print out a test page, it would use an unbelievable amount of ink.

And I think this is STILL an issue with Epson printers. But not with this Canon. Been very happy with it. And if you purchase it over at Newegg.com (like I did), even with the package of extra ink cartridges, it's less than $500 - just a tad less. Heh.

Just be warned, the sucker weighs 35lbs. And it's not small. Also, I'm not so sure it's an issue of "what's better", but what will work for you. I'd probably be happy with that Epson R1800, but I've been highly satisfied with this Canon.

Thanks
    The Canon sounds pretty good. I'm worried about the jets clogging - I'm not really expecting to sell a lot of prints. I'd go with an online service but they all seem to have their problems. I like that the Canon's print head is detachable so the whole printer doesn't have to be shipped back if the head needs repair/replacing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure my buddy has one of those Epsons. The prints I've seen come from him are outstanding. I've seen photoshop stuff and 3D stuff that looked great but the photos blew my mind.

Thanks
    Go with the Epson if you want professional quality prints. I worked in a digital photo lab and used the Epson R800, as well as the 9800, 7800, 3000, and a couple of others I can't remember. Their archival inks and papers are top notch, but Chingwa is right about the stuff being pricey. It is worth it though.

Thanks
    I confirm that the R1800, that I bought last year, has a great print quality (especially on Ilford smooth pearl).
    A few things to know :
    -R1800 cartridges are not well distributed, and in very low quantity.
    -Don't change your cartridge as soon as the red light says it's empty : you can still print a few more pictures easily.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++