Blender, anyone dig it?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Blender, anyone dig it?

some of you probably already know that blender is a fully OpenSource 3D graphics and animation program. with the wonders and worldwide opensource communities, this program stands in the same league as 3ds max, xsi and the like. it's available for almost every OS out there.

i've been learning it and since it was free i thought why not.
    i'll say for those who don't not have money for expensive industry standard tools, they'll be happy with this.

so yeah any of you folks try it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I tried it for SIX MONTHS, but the learning curve is way too steep for me. For the record, I have no form of ADD. I was hardly able to model a cube.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REGNIRUTH View Post
    this program stands in the same league as 3ds max, xsi and the like.
    Not really.

Thanks
    Yeah it's even harder when you already know standard programs like Maya or 3ds max. Blenders interface is like another planet, it takesgetting use too and remembering shortcuts for different parts of the program.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Blender requires you to sell your soul to the devil and sign a lease dedicating the life of your first born to some satanic cult just in order to understand how to make a pretty texture.

Fact.

Thanks
    At least this is what it is capable of. http://www.elephantsdream.org/

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

Thanks
    i'm not even going to get into a debate.

so yeah...all i was just asking is if anyone liked it and made anythign with it.

but honestly, no 3d program is the same and they all have their advantage and blender's advantage is that you don't have to shell out a fricken 500 to 3 grand for a program.

Thanks
    i used it for my foundations 3d class instead of wasting 70$ on a trial version of form-z, pretty user unfriendly from my experience but the price is right and it can be pretty powerful if you have the patience for it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by invinciblewombat View Post
    i used it for my foundations 3d class instead of wasting 70$ on a trial version of form-z, pretty user unfriendly from my experience but the price is right and it can be pretty powerful if you have the patience for it.
    at least you put a thumbs up for it's abilities.
    hey, if i could have any 3d program for free or a cheap discount it would definitley be 3ds max along with mudbox.

but i just felt like learnign blender and see if i can make some cool game models with it.

Thanks
    my main beef with it is that it's just so radically different gui wise form everything else and you really have to know the technical side of it to do anything impressive. if you want a truly unfriendly 3d program though use alias auto studio

Thanks
    actually I've herd onc eyou got blender down, you can see it's more versatile then the other high end programs. Hell its even got it's own game engine, and compositing package

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    actually I've herd onc eyou got blender down, you can see it's more versatile then the other high end programs. Hell its even got it's own game engine, and compositing package
    yep, but there's more to it than that, but it is a nice feature.

Thanks
    Like others, I downloaded it, tried it, and went along with a few tutorials. I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things there were to learn and the time it would take to learn them, and I never used it again. I have my hands full just expanding my drawing and painting abilities, thank you.
    From what I've heard and seen, though, it can be a hell of a powerful thing once you take the time to figure it out. My life is just too busy as it is, though.

Thanks

Thanks
    I dig it.

Thanks
    I'm use to the interface not that I got any to show off, but yeah the learning curve sucks. If you're doing tutorials keep a piece of paper next to you to write up how to do things, eg. hotkeys or menu items and it'll make things tons easier since the interface issue is primarily memorising that stuff, if you keep at it it'll be second nature in no time.

Last edited by sciboy; May 9th, 2007 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks
    A friend and I made this with Blender:

With the new sss shader Blender can do work at least at the FF:TSW level. This face isn't quite there but it is still very much in the WIP stage. I just need to find the time to finish it . . . Blender also has a better hair system coming, this is the old crappy stuff.

The interface is being reworked so the learning curve may not be as steep in the future. Everyone knows it's a problem but if you use the forum you can usually get answers to your questions.

The Blender devs are currently rewriting most of the old code to modernize the software and make it easier to add features. I expect at some point it will either pass Maya/XSI/MAX, or the number of exclusive features the proprietary programs have will be so few and so esoteric that it will be impossible to justify their prices.

Thanks
    I'm pretty impressed with Blender's capabilities. My friends and I are looking to get into it pretty deeply and possibly do some commercial work with it down the road.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    *bump*

Great news! In Blender go to "Help" -> "Hotkey and Mouse Action References"
    Full listing that is organized in many different ways and also includes a search function.
    It'll open in a Scripts window type, so once you hit it the first time, you merely need to select that window type again to refer to it again.

This alone should reduce the learning curve significantly.
    I've been having fun with the game engine lately, it's simple and great to toy with.

Thanks
    a hammer by any other name is still a hammer.

Thanks
    I just wish I could find a tutorial that goes with the current version I have. I had this one that was several updates back, and I ran into some problems that were very hard to figure out-- had to join a Blender forum to do it.

I hate following tutorials really closely, too...

Thanks
    Go to a bittorrent site, and download all the training videos you can. There has been a few torrents, compiled with tons of free resources and training videos. Most notably get the recent ones from Neal Hirsig. They are free so no worries.

Last edited by Costau D; June 2nd, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Blender is like a cross between early Light wave(the early Amiga years) and TrueSpace.
    Both are great at doing 3D but Light wave has it render and cameras and Lighting part that it par none I feel(the original in the Video toaster could output to 65mm IMAX format and that was 1994) TrueSpace tries to give you all in one and it can be hard to see how to work it but i could make shapes well and easy but not very detailed as dose Blender it a what I call and all in one modeler/render with out the same power as the larger programs.

this makes it a larger learning curve for some but for some that have work/played with the older rendering programs can see where this program can be great for those on low income to get into doing 3D.

I have yet to play will it as for some reason the Tutorial did not come and install with it and that is not good . It work great with my Wacom and I can install and move file into any OS version as well too. Not many 3b programs can do that.

Hard to learn does not mean it not worth trying to learn and if it is too easy it can just be boring .. oh look I made something really cool that too no time and it so fast I not sure how I did it. you can learn more if you take the time to learn how they do not just into build,render over and over ..this great for some but we are suppose to be artist not rendering machines.

Play with the program ,find those who work in it. ..Maybe Rob over at ImagineFX could get someone to demo or Tutorial show people the programs.

If look very powerful from all the animations I seen done, My laptop can do some work in low mode. my need high end system I have to install it but did play with it in Linux and it was really cool for me. I seen program for art and 3D come out over the years I been in computer before there was even 1 art program and I could see this stuff was coming but had no way to get copies as the cost was out my reach and I think a free program that can get people into learning and doing work WOW that is great . I know would have been better at my work if I had had something like it on the erly system I worked on. When Lightwave hit and the Video toaster I was very happy and even more when LW went to all OS platforms.

Blender is well worth learning working with I feel and is on my list to programs to get and learn for anyone getting into 3D. even with the high learning curve.

CC

Thanks
    I've tried lot of program since 1997... And Blender has the hardest interface of them all.

It can do lot of great things, but, well, I just want to model, texture, light things, not learning the subside of the third vertex in an esoteric way. Hell, I don't even want to know that I'm using polygon most of the time - I don't care. I don't care if it has his game engine and so on, I want to get to work, the fastest way possible!
    Look at the free version of XSI, Maya, Houdini, they all can do much the same things (but no high res render). And if you work, they got a starter version at 500$, not so a high price - I remember a time when it was much much much more (like 3000 for a starter version... when there's one). And this is without speaking about amazing software like Zbrush.

Comparing Blender to them is unfair. Even at this price, the interface need a lot of work. But it has potential. Not just for me, not just for now.

Thanks
    I am study Blender too, and I think that one time you are inside philosopy of Blender things appear different and more logics. Anyway 3D graphic is not a simple thing, and Blender has the UI just very different from other software more traditional...
    My two cents.

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.