Thanks

Illustration Dinosaur, Ed Beard Jr. rants about digital vs. traditional

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Incredible how someone that good at illustrating can have such a crappy website. >.<

Thanks
    What about making a digital painting and finishing it, then print it out in as best a way as possible, then destroy the original file to create a unique peice? He is completely right about traditional teaching patience and the enjoyment of the process, so the two should be taught, not one or the other.

But, what I like about digital is also from a conservation view. It's paperless, no chemicals, and always makes up for the cost. You dont have to buy paints, and supplies. And jus because it makes it easier, there's just more expectancy for quality and skill that dwarfs that of those who are bogged down with having to prepare physical tools and surfaces. It just opens more oppurtunities and creativity imo.
    Last edited by Costau D; May 7th, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    It still needs lot's of knowledge and skill to make good digital painting. As for having some physical and single unique pieces of art. I can paint with traditional media but for my personal collection and just to have fun .
    Last edited by Farvus; May 7th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    so what he's saying is the only downside of digital media is that there's no collector's market for the finished product.

his unique argument doesn't work, because none of us can do something that will be exactly like something android has done or something craig mullins has done simply because we have painter or photoshop.

his instant gratification argument doesn't work because we know how long it takes to paint something decent digitally. There are no buttons to create "Post Apocalyptic Environment" or "Dragon Slaying Knight on White Horse"

his "no room for mistake" argument doesn't work because 'happy accidents' happen and are kept just as much in digital medium. If you've watched any one doing demo in a workshop like ca or gnomon you'll see that.

Speed argument doesn't work, digital artists spend just as much time on a piece as he as said. But the speed the digital tools affords means more time can be devoted to developing the piece rather than having to spend part of your time to wrestle with traditional mediums.

the list goes on...

All in all he sounds more elitist than anything else at the end.

the one thing I can agree is his plea and hope that new artists keep working with traditional mediums instead of exclusively digital.

Thanks
    Well, for the most part, this is a commercial venture most of us are in. So to that end, I will always take the more accommodating route. Digital makes too much sense to not use in producing commercial art. Especially when the market you're in simply isn't paying top dollar. On the other hand, if I was getting 5000.00 a piece, then going traditional would actually make a lot of sense.

For the most part, Ed's just railing at inevitable change.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    pretty much, hes a no talent hack, frightened by the big changes coming up, and striving to create a place for his dated shit.

Thanks

I find it funny....

I haven't watched the video b/c I am at work but upon visiting his site I find it rather interesting all the products he offers that are made digitally....mousepads, tshirts, mugs, puzzles, and of course reproduced prints...how does he think this is all done????? I mean, who can be talking about pieces being one of a kind and unique if he's going to mass produce everything as products.....

I will watch the video when I get home to get the full extent but going on others comments it seems to ask a good question....

Thanks
    PiercedLogic How are you going to give an opinion on a guys video without even watching it?

Thanks
    Response to 2 arguments mentioned by Hito:

His "unique argument" had more to do with the tools in a traditional studio. Noone will own the exact same tools as someone else, and thereby will automatically have a more unique look to their work. With digital tools everyone works in the same environment, which by default is rather sterile and it's only by scanning in textures and manipulating various settings that an artist can achieve that quirkiness which happens automatically in a traditional work of art.

His "instant gratification" argument had more to do with the amount of time it takes to get proficient with traditional media. He stated that he worked solely in black and white from 5 to 7 years before taking up color. It's easier to color digitally, since mistakes are easier to fix.

The main theme of the video is that as humans we admire something that takes skill to produce, we also enjoy owning something which is unique and hand made. A traditionally produced picture is like performance art, a recording of an actual event, on it is the evidence of the process used to make it, the personal choices of the artist.
    A digitally produced picture is mostly about the end product, to be mass produced for commercial purposes. There is no tangible piece of art, only a file.

Thanks
    first time Ive seen a dinosaur cry like a bitch.Illustration Dinosaur, Ed Beard Jr. rants about digital vs. traditional
    Last edited by ooga booga; May 7th, 2007 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    LOL!! What a bitter Dork.

Who says you needed an original?
    Andy Warhol already proved this guy's argument holds no water.
    Andy's screened seriograph prints range from $9k -$200k.

The medium does not dictate value in art. It's DEMAND.
    Considering I've never even heard of this guy, and seeing the prices of his work, tells me his work isn't worth much anyways.

So sad.
    Last edited by otis; May 7th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Never heard of him.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    we have a sweet airbrushed dragon calendar of his in our office.
    we just love his 'mastery of color'

this one is for May!
    Illustration Dinosaur, Ed Beard Jr. rants about digital vs. traditional

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    PiercedLogic How are you going to give an opinion on a guys video without even watching it?
    Ok, like I said, I was basing it on what other people were saying and I stand by what I said completely and I just DID watch the video.

First and foremost he is assuming that all digital artists don't have traditional skills and this couldn't be further from the truth in a lot of cases. All the students I graduated with from Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, MI were schooled first traditional skills, even the Photography and Graphic Design/Visual Communications students had to take traditional classes like Color, 2d/3d composition, and drawing....I took 3 1/2 years of traditional (life drawing, oils, watercolor, illustration 1-3 and traditional portfolio) before even touching a computer....It's a tool like anything else...it doesn't make the work for you. I don't use photoshop filters, I do the effects myself...and I still do watercolor and oils but I still prefer digitial to busting out my oils b/c I can get my creative chaos out of my head more effectively then waiting a week for my base in oils to dry.....

Anyway, I don't agree with most of what he said but I do stand by him that you need to know your basics (traditional stuff like drawing, anatomy, color theory) before just delving into computers b/c they are just a tool, but I think he's wrong in assuming that students aren't learning these fundamentals ....whenever a critique is given on someone who has poor anatomy skills the first thing a reply says is get a sketchbook and draw from life b/c a computer doesn't make you any better then what your current skill level is and it shows.

I value my digital work just as much as my traditional stuff and it's not just for commercial purposes...I know I am not the only one.

So..yeah...my 2 cents

Thanks
    I think we should chop his hands and tongue off....o_0
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    http://www.edbeardjr.com/store/catal...ge.php?pID=152

Ew, eww, eeewwwwwww!!!

I still have hope for myself.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    last i checked, spiderman kicked the blowhards ass a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzUXTIqaG8

"that was no gust of wind......that was a gust of MEEEEE!!!!!

Thanks
    PiercedLogic: I agree with you. I'll add that the "no tangible piece of art" left over argument is kinda weak too, there are many examples of art forms where nothing is left over after the performance, or where the work only lasts for a short time.