Art: First Sculpture progress thread - done! - 08.01.07
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: First Sculpture progress thread - done! - 08.01.07

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First Sculpture progress thread - done! - 08.01.07

I've just started a 10-week sculpture class, and I thought I'd post the progress here. My teacher is great, but there are so many amazing sculptors on ca.org I thought I'd start a progress thread and solicit any additional comments and crits you folks may have. At the very least, I'll have a nice history to look back over.

This is sculpted from life in regular clay and is about 2.5 - 3 feet long.
    These photos were taken after about 2 hours of sculpting.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by maldrin; August 3rd, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
    d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far i can spy a back,bum upperbody and arms - keep posting ur progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Class 2

tysiony: thanks! Sounds like I've got all the right parts so far! Hopefully it will stay that recognizable.

I added the forearms, the rest of the legs, and a head, but the bulk of the 2 hours we sculpted was spent trying to get the angle of the legs right. My teacher has been helping me transition from 2D to 3D - it's hard, but it's really interesting. I like the challenge, and had a lot of correction to do once I was seeing things a bit better. Here's the status at the end of the night - her thighs are mostly right but her lower-legs and feet are ganked up and in need of an overhaul.

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Class 3

Here's an update with the work from tonight's class. I cut her legs off twice and made new ones and I think they finally look about right. at least it's a much better starting place than what I had. expanded the musculature of the torso and upper arms as well. Thanks for looking!

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

looks really good much improved on her back,bum and thigh area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work!

The new legs are much better. I like the back and shoulder areas as well. I can't wait to see how you polish her off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tysiony - Thanks! I think she's taking pretty good shape. We've got like 7 weeks left, so I'm sure some of what I've done will end up scraped off and replaced (hopefully with something even better) but I'm pretty happy considering I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ray - Thanks, bro! Yeah, I'm much happier with this (third) set of legs. Seeing as this is my first sculpture, especially. Thanks for your comment about the back and shoulders! The model is really expressive in the posture and shaping of her back and shoulders and I want to make sure I capture the expressiveness as well as an accurate form.

Sculpture is tons more fun than I expected - I hope I don't have trouble going back to 2d work! I've got to do some oil painting this weekend, hopefully I remember how!

mal

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty

Careful or you will get the sculpting bug and sculpting is all you will want to do from now on.

You are doing great, I would take another look at the upper hip, where it meets the waist. The underlying muscle structure there could use some attention like you showed to the back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niggle - you're probably right - i may get bit by the bug. Thanks for the crit - I looked back at the pictures and I think I see what you're talking about. I'll try to go over to the studio this weekend and take a look - but for sure on wednesday when we have the next class, I'll sort that out based on the model.

Thanks!

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can wait for the model, wait. In my experience, how I think a muscle would lay and how it does seems to be two different things. Just like 2D trust what you see not what you think you see, and just like 2D when you get it feels right.

Kudos for the good work.

-n-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn thats gunna be heavy, looks awesome though, about where you are right now is where i would start have fun, it gets easier from here on usually. the beginning is always the hardest. keep goin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niggle - good point. I was at the studio tonight and I wouldn't have any idea what to change without her there. Unfortunately she's got a conflict this week so we won't have class again till next wednesday!

must...get...sculpture..fix! *slaps forearm*

jessef - yeah, she's heavy already! thanks for the compliment! glad to hear it might be about to get easier. it's fun, that much is for sure!

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

class 4

We were out last week, but back this week, so I have new progress pics. now all the changes are really subtle, but so pleasing. Niggle, thanks for your comment about the upper hip - I've still not got it right but it's getting closer to correct now. I'm also trying to get the tail bone worked out.

We did some drawings tonight, which took up some time, but was phenomenal. Standing poses, so it really broke up the monotony of the class.

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It really is coming along. Good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, good work. My only comment is that her right hand looks smaller than her left. And I think the feet may be a little different in size too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

Since Fractured-Ray pinged me about not having any updates (i forgot to take pictures!), I went back to the classroom over the weekend and snapped the usual set of shots.

Niggle - thanks!
    Ray - you're right, the hands aren't the same size. thanks for calling that out - I haven't fixed it yet.

Unfortunately, I did more harm than good this past week - mostly undoing her lower back and marking off some areas that need help like her right thigh. I also cleared out some excess clay under her right leg so that I can begin straightening her left leg (in the top-down view you can tell it is kind of ganked.

thanks for looking!

Oh, and here is a really shaky video walk-around of the sculpture. I take these from time to time cuz it helps to be able to see it moving to get a real idea of the shape of it.

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your project is really coming along. Keep up the good work and know that the hardest part will be ahead of you. The devil is in the details, and the details are what make your sculpture stand out amongst the rest. Keep that in mind and something will come to life.
    Wally

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wallaceoleoieo - Thanks! I appreciate you stopping by. Tonight I started getting into some of those details and like you said the devil is in the details. It is hard, and time consuming.

All I did this week is work on her back/bum/legs/feet. I tried to make the line between her body and the base more accurate by rolling her form around more, and I filled out the size of the feet and started adding details. I corrected her left leg (calf was crooked, see above posts) and smoothed the flesh of her right thigh out some. I corrected the shaping of her bum and tried to get the fat and muscle areas a little better.

Thanks for looking!

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's coming along very nicely.

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see toes, tickle tickle tickle tickle

It is looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Class 7

Breath, Ray - I appreciate the kind words. Yes, there are toes now, which I am really happy with.

Tonight I moved around more, and tried to resolve some elements in the front, fixed the thigh of her left leg and her right upper arm. Both of those were much more man-like than the models, and didn't even match the other arm/leg!

I added a bit to the right foot to make the heel and arch a little more obvious, and did some more clean up all around.

Only a few more classes to go and I've still got tons of work to do....

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Session 8

Here's my 8th week work. Tonight I added and mostly finished (i hope) her left hand, and got part of the way with the right. They're still not the same size, but I think the left is correct. I also corrected her left shoulder slightly. I worked on the inside of both thighs, trying to capture what was muscle and what was hanging flesh, as well as trying to correctly resolve where one leg lays over the other. I also started carving out the eye sockets and reshaping the lump I had for a head into something more correct so I can put a face on it.

Thanks for looking - if you see anything glaringly wrong, please let me know. I've got to go out of town next week so I'll only have one or two classes left so I need to wrap this up quickly and resolve any issues.

Thanks,

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking really good the hands and feet are superb!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to look at her right foot near the toes. It seem a bit thick there but it could just be the angle I'm looking at. I don't know if it will matter in the end but I can see a patch at the top of her buttocks. I think it's just a color difference in the clay. Are you going to paint this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far your making good progress. As Ray said, look at her feet, the right one( the one on top) seems like it is to thick as it nears the toes. In the last pic, her left buttocks seems to have a dent/depression as it changes to the upper part of the left leg, right near the base. It also seems that you have the transition from lower back to upper buttocks is a little to gradual, try adding a little more curves there and extend the line caused by the thighs and buttocks up maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of her foot length.
    Keep going and good luck, its looking good so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Week Nine

tysiony - Thanks! I appreciate all the support!

Ray & Dalhimar - thanks for the tips about the feet. I did as much reshaping as I could without having to completely re-do them, and I think it definitely helped to have your input.

I have pictures from two weeks, nine and ten, to upload, so I'm putting them in two posts back to back. Week nine I mostly worked on cleaning up the figure and doing the face. My teacher had to help me with the face because I cannot sculpt noses sideways on a sculpture. I really should have taken a portrait sculpting class first.

more in the next post...

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Week Ten

Week ten was the last week, so I am calling it done. I added hair, cleaned the whole figure up some, and resized the hands. I also touched up the base and made some variation in the way the figure meets the base. Because I traditionally work 2D, often in pencil, I left a few "hatch marks" and outlines around the figure, because I really like how that refers back to pencil work.

There are still a few places that I want to noodle with but I'm calling it done, and leaving some development for my next sculpture. Overall I'm really happy with this. Once I get it fired and put a patina on it, I may throw some more pics on the thread.

Thanks for all your support and input, everyone!!

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for sharing, amazing to see it from beginning to the end, plus the great thing about this thread is the enjoyment that i'm reading! thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.