Sketchbook: The Magician
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Magician

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Magician

Hey there, my name is Scotty. I am 22 years of age and live in Newquay (Cornwall) although I am originally from the west coast of Scotland. Less than a year ago, I picked up my art materials for the first time since 5th year in school and started to take some time out from constantly performing magic and start work on some comic book work. I have really taking the liking to Inking and am really impressed with myself at how much I feel I have learnt in such a short period of time.

I am going to be puting up some of my work on here so that some of you lovely people here at Concept Art can critique it and hopefully show me some of my shortfalls... No offence will be taken, so please be honest with me.

I can not take credit for any of the pencil work, as generally I like to Ink work that I find when surfing the net. I would love to be able to give credit where it is due, unfortunately some of these sketches have been sitting around my art studio for a while and I genuinely can't remember where I got it from...

Thanks again folks and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Scotty

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome
    Will this be a comic strip?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if I am entirely happy with this one as of yet. I think it is still too busy. I tried to darken the set areas using the block black areas to frame the female figure. The frontal area of the beast and the rocks still seem to merge together though, something that could possibley be fixed if the piece was ever to be coloured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pencil work on this particular piece was done by an artist on the PencilJack forums by the name of Jsalwen from New Jersey.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Scotty, your inkwork is fine, but I'd really like to see some of your own pencil work......

(As one Scot to another)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alesoun, thank you for your comments. I haven't really been doing much in the way of pencil work at the moment to be honest. I really have the Inking bug, however I will see what happens over the next few days... I could be tempted. Where abouts in Scotland are your from?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in the Kingdom of Fife, on the East Coast. We did have our daughter baptised on Iona on the West Coast, though. My husband made candlesticks for the Abbey many years ago. Magical scenery there on the West Coast .....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have "clumped" the pieces together for easier viewing and all that malarky... I have added a few new ones on also. I would especially like some constructive crit on the Captain America piece as I am fairly proud of this particular piece, however not entirely sure if the bottom of the picture works or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some recent pages...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First of my pencil works online...

This is the first pencil work that I have put up online for critic. As you have seen already I am primarily an inker, however I would like to improve on my pencil work (lets face it you cant do one without the other).

It's a piece for a story I am working on at the moment would like some comments before I start to ink it up incase there is any major issues that I have missed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've looked through these posts and I like the art, but it is difficult for me to tell exactly what is happening on some of the pages.
    I suggest that you, and whoever did the pencil work in the earlier posts pick up a copy of Will Eisner's Comics and Sequential art, or his Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative if either book is available to you. These books will not teach you to draw, but they will give you invaluable information about how to tell stories with comics.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I haven't posted on my sketchbook for so long, it's almost like starting again lol...

Wendigo, thank you for your comments. The pages that are all shown above are not in any particular order so perhaps that is what the problem is. If not please could you expand on what you think the problem may be.

Anyway, here is a collection of some of the pieces that I have been working on myself. The first (Daredevil) is a bit of a competition, I am unable to find the original artists name, anyone that can help me out will get a.... big kiss from me!

The second piece was by an artist on the PJ forums by the name of JamesQ... great pieces and I really enjoyed inking them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This piece was originally drawn in pencil by an artist featured on Deviant Art - WolfPact. It is a very busy piece, and quite possibly one of the most difficult I have attempted in a long while.

I am fairly pleased with the results however...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This piece is part of a Jim Lees pencil...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.