Thread: Gloves?

Thanks

Gloves?

I've seen some people mention gloves as being useful to avoid smudging. I just got some tight fitting cotton gloves and I'd wonder if they'd do the trick or if I'd just be mutilating some gloves to have them get covered in pencil later on. Can anybody clear this up for me?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Using another piece of paper works just fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Just keep your hand off the paper.
    If you absolutely have to put your hand down, maybe to render some meticulous details, then use paper like seth1 said.

I only use glove when I'm using my tablet.
    No, I can't smudge my tablet, lol, but it keeps my hand from sticking to the surface.

Thanks
    Ah. Alright. They're pretty cool gloves anyhow.

Thanks
    can we see a picture of the "pretty cool gloves" in question? not that it'll help answer the question (which has already been answered), but we just like pictures round these here parts.

Thanks
    just buy a pack of like, 50 of those transparent, latex gloves. they're really cheap and are fantastic for pencils and mainly pastels. i have a pair nailed to my wall!

Thanks
    I always use a piece of paper under my hand.
    But I really never tought about gloves.
    I think it will be nice for pastels! I will try them out thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by asoir View Post
    just buy a pack of like, 50 of those transparent, latex gloves. they're really cheap and are fantastic for pencils and mainly pastels. i have a pair nailed to my wall!
    Wouldn't your hand get all sweaty after a short while? Ugh.

Thanks
    They have that 'baby powder' stuff in them to prevent that. If your hands are really sweaty (I can attest to this) it doesn't really help.

Just one of those stretchy cotton gloves will work well, cut the fingers off them and your ready to go.

Thanks
    Have you ever seen wet talcum powder?? Ewwww! I too recommend the paper under hand...or better yet, a piece of thin plastic...similar to those transparent covers for project folders found in most office supply stores.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Wouldn't your hand get all sweaty after a short while? Ugh.
    heh, only if you have sweaty hands!

Thanks
    Yeah, my hands like to sweat.
    I have the cheap, disposable cotton gloves, with the fingers cut off (I don't throw away mine, though). They ventilate nicely.

Thanks
    I also use cheap soft cotton gloves with the fingers cut off, both when I'm pencilling, and when I ink. The heel of my hand tends to sweat a bit, and the cotton absorbs it nicely. They cost about $3 USD for a pack of 12 (6 pairs), and since I only put them on my drawing hand, they last quite a while. Besides, when they get dirty, I just toss them in the trash.

Thanks
    I used to use white cotton "archival" gloves, latex gloves, as well as those little cheap plasticy ones you can the find the talented "sandwich artists" at Subway using, but still had problems with smudging (and/or sweating, and/or just plain annoying), especially when using mechanical pencils, where lead doesn't adhere to the paper as well as regular pencil graphite does. I found plain old photo copy paper works the best, though, not the really cheap, toothy stuff. Make sure it's smooth and you'll be in "no-smudge" heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_
    Just keep your hand off the paper.
    If you absolutely have to put your hand down, maybe to render some meticulous details, then use paper like seth1 said.
    HA! Easier said then done. Old habits are hard to break.

Thanks
    Use archivist gloves, sort of thin cotton gloves, if you're a glove's type of person. They can be bought from some artists shop. Ask someone who works with restoring paper/paintings. I bet they know where to get them

Thanks

i got these greasy handz...

...so a long time ago i made a drawing glove... basically a comfy but not so worn out wool sock with two holes cut strategically in the end. It's a shame to waste a perfectly good drawing with a careless dollop of drippy mc hand oil.

If only there were a way to draw pictures with the hand oil...

Better yet, you could use a clear plexiglass bridge, my new favorite method. it's a little stiff, but... honestly using a drawing glove could potentially add unwanted smudging if you get too terribly physical with it. Since i'd reserve this treatment for the very end / long-times rendering finishing work of a piece of art, i'd say that pretty much avoid getting that physical with your drawing in the beginning. if you feel your hands starting to get too sweaty, try washing them, and maybe draw with your arm a little more, which leads to better, more natural hand strokes.

gug