Thanks

Unhappy can photomanips be concept art?

New here and had to ask, a recent project I was working on a global climate change theme I spoke to a friend who saw a rough picture I called concept art said photo manips are not concept art and was adamant on this fact....so can photo manips be used as concept art????
    I've included the disputed art....
    hep!!!
    Pix

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Yes.

As a concept artist you... present ideas. I think there's an unnecessary focus on making concepts look finished. Any time spent on that is time wasted when you could've pushed the concept further. Although, some clients might prefer more finished stuff even if it means a weaker concept.

There might be certain legal aspects to worry about if you use someone else's pics.

And, because of the size of the parts making up the concept, you might be restricted in your expression. Artifacts may show, and it might be harder to make the parts work together. When drawing from scratch you work with very small parts and you can morph and blend them in another way.

Many prop makers for Sci-Fi movies use household machines and random kit/scrap parts to make their designs, and there is a certain benefit as long as it isn't blatant where the shapes come from; it ends up looking more natural and less super tailored/artificial. Compare the design in the old StarWars movies to the new ones. Sometimes even very skilled designers can get a bit too 'designy' imo, and everything ends up looking like a flashy bezier curve BMW, all shiny.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 4th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Of course they can. The question is if it makes sense. Drawing something can just be faster than searching a photo for it. Though I'm pretty sure there are certain techniques that fit that purpose...
    ▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pixini View Post
    so can photo manips be used as concept art????
    Sure it can be. It's a technique used by architects, matte painters and movie makeup fx artists.

Example: http://www.edwardfrench.com/photoshop%20design.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    yes. but only if they are painted with no ref on 1 layer in ps for 5 minutes. thats the only way "art" qualifies as "concept art".-c36

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I think both you and your friend need to work on your definitions.
    What you have there in an illustration, and a not a bad one.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro View Post
    yes. but only if they are painted with no ref on 1 layer in ps for 5 minutes. thats the only way "art" qualifies as "concept art".-c36
    erm...done in 5 mins???? no refs????? the only way it qualifies as concept art???.... cool can I see some of your work!!!!

Thanks

Smile reply....

Thanks to all who posted so far.
    I think that the reason I thought of this as a concept rather than a finished piece is the size and the amount of time spent...under an hour in photoshop; it also has need of much adjustment and refinement which is why it can't be called a finished piece, its there to give form to an idea.... which is why I thought of it as more of a concept.....
    Pix

Thanks
    Artwork is sort of like politics. We are allowed to call our creations whatever we want. Many artists forget that fact.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro View Post
    erm...done in 5 mins???? no refs????? the only way it qualifies as concept art???.... cool can I see some of your work!!!!
    You got to click on coro's signature to see his portfolio, it was itself done in 5 minutes in PS, that's just how hot he is.

http://www.coro36ink.com/

However, I heard he uses textures made by scanning some body parts so I think he's cheating....

Thanks
    it is my belief that there is a certain level of irony intended in Mr.coro's post, although I can be certain.

I like your image what ever you choose to cal it. It is very evocative
    chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    His work is fairly badass.. click the links under his post.

I'm sure what el coro is hinting towards is that, although by definition it counts, it is not accepted in professional practice, or even on this forum. There is good reason for this; because you aren't being paid to slap photos together. Concept Artists use photos as often as they do lens flares. (aka, almost never)
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm sure what el coro is hinting towards is that, although by definition it counts, it is not accepted in professional practice, or even on this forum. There is good reason for this; because you aren't being paid to slap photos together. Concept Artists use photos as often as they do lens flares. (aka, almost never)
    I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant at all...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    Tristan my brother, you are of course correct in your interpretation of my comments . photo manips are 100% legitimate as concept art, as are 3d block-ins, and any other manner by which to get the point across quickly. i was making reference to the fact that people on here tend to believe that "concept art" has to always be drawn without ref and blah blah blah.. while this may be the case on occaision, its not the job description. or that there are these rules of ettiquette when making a piece of production art. im sorry i just get bitter at the sillyness around here sometimes. concept art is about quickly and efficiently communicating a visual idea. if this comes by means of popsickle stick sculpture and photoshop then by all means so be it. it can also take more than an hour to create.the piece you posted is more of an illustration in my opinion,(the montage elements and overlays compete with the functionality of the drawing), and i agree with tristan that its not a bad one at that. well, im off to make more "concept art" -c36

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant at all...
    Misinterpreted then
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    That's all matte paintings are.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    cool clearer on things now.... even if el coro confused the hell out of me.....
    thanks all......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    Yes.

As a concept artist you... present ideas. I think there's an unnecessary focus on making concepts look finished. Any time spent on that is time wasted when you could've pushed the concept further. Although, some clients might prefer more finished stuff even if it means a weaker concept.

There might be certain legal aspects to worry about if you use someone else's pics.

And, because of the size of the parts making up the concept, you might be restricted in your expression. Artifacts may show, and it might be harder to make the parts work together. When drawing from scratch you work with very small parts and you can morph and blend them in another way.

Many prop makers for Sci-Fi movies use household machines and random kit/scrap parts to make their designs, and there is a certain benefit as long as it isn't blatant where the shapes come from; it ends up looking more natural and less super tailored/artificial. Compare the design in the old StarWars movies to the new ones. Sometimes even very skilled designers can get a bit too 'designy' imo, and everything ends up looking like a flashy bezier curve BMW, all shiny.
    Damn prom that is a good point. I always wondered why i liked the designs a bit better in the older star wars. It's because most of the designs are based on or made from real objects. The Jawa rifles are just part of an old rifle with the trigger changed and a large "drill bit" at the end of it. Maybe it's because everything was actually built and had to rely on some engineers and model builders. I need to keep this in mind when I begin some designs.

lol the more you look at them, they dont make any sense to how they can work. It looks like a M98 German Mauser.
    It kind of feels like it has a post apocolyptic feel to it.

Jedi were Sammurai
    Empire was communists
    And Jawas were cute little Nazis

can photomanips be concept art?
    Last edited by Costau D; May 6th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    That's all matte paintings are.
    This isn't true. Many great matte painters create original art. Often they rely on reference, but matte painting is not photo manipulation.
    JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Geuseppe

I never said matte painters didn't create original art.
    Before the computer they were painted on large sheets of glass. But today, 99.9% matte paintings have photos in them (unless ofcourse it's for an animation etc.)
    It wouldn't make sense not to when doing a film.

If you don't think using film, adjusting for compositing, lighting, rotoscoping, etc in matte painting isn't photo-manipulation...

Then what are these?
    http://mattepainting.org/index.php?c...5ae82d2af3851b

http://mattepainting.org/index.php?c...6_sectionid=23
    Last edited by otis; May 6th, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau