Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts

Need some advice about selling art

I've been painting my clothes for a while now because I'm really not interested in what anyone else is selling. I usually go to goodwill and pick up something and make it my own. Recently I was walking out of Hot Topic (yes i know, but they're the only ones who carry Rob Zombie tshirts) and I was wearing a pair of jeans I decorated. A woman kind of stopped me and told me that she thought they were really cool and that I should sell them. Well it had crossed my mind before but im getting ready to start school and I could use some extra income.

So, finally to the point, I'm trying to figure out the best way of going about selling the service of painting clothes. The only thing I can come up with is that somebody sends me what they want painted (they pay shipping) i paint (for a price based on amount of detail) and ship it back to them for free. But the the problem I run into is trust, I don't know how willing someone is to send me their clothes. Should I just keep it local with people I know for time being or go ahead and get something online?
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Buck, congrats on the new business venture! It's always a good idea to set something up online. You can get a paypal account that will be secure and most people should be comfortable with using that service. As for the shipping, you should include that in the cost. It might be a bit tricky to paint someone's clothes that they already own. In that case, you may want to stick with local customers. If you want to offer your services to people outside your area, perhaps you can simply pre-paint some clothing and sell it online.

Jusy make sure the paint is permanent. Liquitex makes a cheap fabric paint medium that you can mix with acrylics so they won't crack or wash off.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel Grack View Post
    Hey Buck, congrats on the new business venture! It's always a good idea to set something up online. You can get a paypal account that will be secure and most people should be comfortable with using that service. As for the shipping, you should include that in the cost. It might be a bit tricky to paint someone's clothes that they already own. In that case, you may want to stick with local customers. If you want to offer your services to people outside your area, perhaps you can simply pre-paint some clothing and sell it online.

Jusy make sure the paint is permanent. Liquitex makes a cheap fabric paint medium that you can mix with acrylics so they won't crack or wash off.

Good Luck!
    Hey! Thanks for the ideas, I had no idea about the Liquitex. I might just do clothes people own locally until I get enough money to go buy some clothes to sell online.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Perhaps the people at Hot Topic would let you leave a business card there or something.

You already havea good idea with the Good Will. I would stick with that. If you can sew (or know someone who does) most of the clothing is still perfectly good. Just make sure to wash it first.

Thanks
    I would stick with local customers for starters, I used to paint some of my coworkers jeans, usually in exchange for free lunch, and the word of mouth did the trick. You may even ask your customers to tell their friends about it. If they like your work, they happily will.

Thanks
    you could get people to give you a link to items they want, charge them for buying it, your decoration and then posting it to them

you then buy that item, decorate then post it onto them, obv the turnaround will be somewhat longer but thats what they get for custom stuff

Thanks
    What kind of paint do you use to paint your clothes?

But yeah, I would just start it off locally at first.

Thanks
    I don't think you will get very far doing somthing like that locally. Unless you live in a big city. You found you demographic though....Hot Topic

I would tell your story and situation to Hot Topic's upper managment. Maybe they could refer you to some cheap clothing lines or designers. Or even better, after you show them your work...they may want to do business with you themselves!?

One thing to remmember: What you are doing is not original and has been done before. BUT, if your work is as good as your business sense..you could take this really far.

Good Luck

BTW, where can we see your work?
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by otis View Post
    I don't think you will get very far doing somthing like that locally. Unless you live in a big city. You found you demographic though....Hot Topic

I would tell your story and situation to Hot Topic's upper managment. Maybe they could refer you to some cheap clothing lines or designers. Or even better, after you show them your work...they may want to do business with you themselves!?

One thing to remmember: What you are doing is not original and has been done before. BUT, if your work is as good as your business sense..you could take this really far.

Good Luck

BTW, where can we see your work?
    The only completed thing I have uploaded are a pair of pants, they took a few weeks to get done. You can see them here. Im working on a few shirts right now, I'll get them uploaded as soon as im done. This is all meant to be temporary, I really don't think im skilled enough to do business with any professional companies.

Candra: Im using Tulip brand fabric paint.

Thanks for the support and suggestions guys, its greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I really don't think im skilled enough to do business with any professional companies.
    Well, as long as you think that I guess you never will be. Sad, becuase I think your work is great.

If those were selling in a store up in LA I KNOW they would go for at least $100-$200.

I guess you'll never know now.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    reverse psychology *wink* gocha.

yeah, you, will never make it big...