Thanks

NYC - What to see what to do?

Hi fellas. I decided to NOT buy a new computer, but to travel to NYC instead. GREAT choice I think.

Now. What to see what to do? I'm going the 11'th this month and staying for one week.

-Electro/minimalist techno parties?
    -Super cool jazz clubs?
    -Good secondhand spots?
    -electronic consumer heaven?

Screw the Statue of Liberty and all that. Might see MOMA and natural history museum aswell as visit Chrystler or Empire but mainly I wanna get down and dirty

Any advice would be most welcome.

-Dallas
    Rasmus Poulsen - www.technouveau.net

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Uhhh, and if you need interesting foreign guests at your banging party, I'm game, haha!

Thanks
    NY cool, last time I was there was 100 degree summer... during a garbage strike. Thats a smell I wont soon forget lol.

Personally I would just walk around theres always so much going on you can always find something interesting.

Thanks
    I applaud your decision. NY is a great place to explore. I been living in Manhattan for 8 months, and I still feel like a tourist whenever I go outside of my area.

My favorite activity in NY is just to get lost. That's right, sometime I would just pick an area or a street that I haven't been to and just wonder the streets till I'm tired. On any given street you can find all sort of neat shops and stores, eclectic architecture, and all manners of people. And the food is GREAT.

I suggest you do the same, but skip uptown, that's for obscenely rich people, plus everything is far apart. Everything below central park is where you want to be.

If you are a foodie then there's no better place to be. Even if you are not I highly recommend you take time to discover the amazing food NY has to offer. Life in NY revolves around eating out, and hanging out. Here are some of my favs:

-Japan town- (East Village)
    -location: St. Marks str. and 3rd ave. Great fun atmosphere, very hip and young crowd. You can't go wrong at St. Marks. I recommend Kenka for a uniquely japanese enviroment. But my fav spot to eat, when i'm alone especially, is the tiny ramen shop on 10th street. You can also get awesome Indian food near by on 7th street.

-Korea Town-
    -location: West 32 street. Korea town is considerably more expensive than Japan town, but you should definitely make a stop at Pinkberry. It's a superb yogurt place. I love it and I don't even like yogurt. You can get 3 toppings with your yogurt. You should get rice cake topping for sure, and maybe captain crunch, but don't get fruit toppings as they overpower the yogurt.

-Corner Bistro (Greenwich Village)
    -location: West 14 and Jane Street. This place has the best BURGER in the world, or atleast in NY. It's worth it to put up with the crappy service. The guy who runs the place treat customers like shit, and reminds me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. I'm kinda afraid to get on his bad side so that he won't sit you. haha. its an interest experience though.

That is just the tip of the iceburg. There's Soho, and china town, and a load of other places. It's endless.

As far as parties, the best ones are not in some clubs, but private parties. You just kinda have to be lucky to know about them, or invited. Just last weekend my friends and I was hanging out in a bar in Soho, and we heard that there was a party/art exhibition in the building across the street, and we crash it. It was a cool roof-top party with a big scupture made of expensive french bread. Being a poor college student, I started to pick the bread from the statue and stuff it in my friend's back pack. haha.

Anyways, I recommend that you go to art gallery parties/openings either in Manhattan or Brooklyn. They usually have free booze, and usually open to the public. You get to see alot of interesting art, and can strike up conversation with the ppl there. Especially if you are a foreigner, ppl will be interested in what you have to say.

I would type more but my hands are tired...maybe more later.

Thanks
    Dallas.... When are you coming down amigo??? I'm throwing a big b'day/ Cinco de Mayo Bash tomorrow night... Tons of licquor music friends and a hell of a dope time... Located in Manhattan in a nice loft... But, if you want to party I can def. hook up with you on a night or two and we'll hit up some spots... Lots of dope lounges and megaclubs here... I would stay away from the empire state building.. its a rip off.. they charge you like $30 to get up there... Ive lived in Nyc my whole life and never been to the statue of liberty, or to the chrysler building... But, I know where the clubs and after hours are!! but, I have to warn you that the booze arent cheap... Be prepared to pay 8- 12 dollars for a drink depending on where your at.. "Dive" bars are cheaper.. Electronic consumer heaven?? Uhhh, if you find it let me know!!!! anyways.. Let, me know if you want someone to hang with when your down here.. I wish I can offer you a place to crash but, Im actually staying with my mom right now myself... Oh, and one last tip.. Things to do in nyc.. pick up the Village voice.. a free newspaper and the New yorker (i think that may be wrong though.. Cant remember the nanme of the magazine right now)...
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Yo Dallas, talking to Arkady tonight at SoI, I might organize a little bash on my rooftop (well, the building I live in) while your here, hows about that? I was planning to have a painting party up there, and this just might kick things off! Of course, all CA:er are welcome to come, friends I havent met yet too. I live in the Lower east side, on Rivington and delancy, and have a great view of manhattan.

Anyone interested?

Oh yea, Im swedish, so vi kan snacka lite dansksvenska ockso!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    DUDES!

@Freeze: Yeah, you're propably right. Walking it is then

@Dguy: Thank for all the advice!!!!!!!
    Good party story hehe. Eating the art installation seems a good idea...especially if it's made of bread. I'll definately go to the burger joint. See if I can catch a diss from the owner while eating my burger Looking forward to that actually....

@Vigostar: Remember I'm from Denmark. not many places are more expensive than here. 10 dollars for a drink..no problem I'm going with a friend of mine, but I'll definately give you a shout for a night out. Check your PM's. I'm arriving the 12th this month so I can't make any parties before that

@Tim: Fan det ljuder bra! Haha. A time and a date is all I need. See you there

Talk to you guys later. You're teh BZT!

Thanks
    Timpaaaaaa!!!! Thanks for the other night. Good fun. I talked to all your buddies, can't remember much though...I think Latitia got a little tired of my chenanigans... MORE!

It would be cool if we could hook up again before we leave this friday. Talk to you later. (If any freak NYC CA'ers are interested, I', shure we're all game )

Vigo...talk to you tomorrow.....

-Dallas

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.