Thanks

Warning :likely to be a repeat of another thread: >Animation Software<

Hello All

I suspect that a thread such as this is floating around here somewhere but I can't find it to save my life. So if you know where these questions would be most pertinently asked please, redirect me there and promptly delete this thread.

I am beginning to attempt to learn how to traditionally animate. At this point I'm teaching myself using photoshop and Image ready. While sufficiant for basic animation excersises, they are nowhere near being able to actually produce anything with sound and don't allow for much control over frame speeds etc, ect...

So I am now looking for some basic (yet quality) animation software. So far I've looked at

Anime studio

Flash

ToonBoom Studio.

Anime and flash look to be more geared toward vector animation which is not what i'm interested in. ToonBoom seems to be more of what i'm looking for and is reasonably afforble for the student price. I've heard some good things about it, but would like to hear any input you guys might have.

If you've used this toonboom software I'd love to hear what you think about it. If you another software package that you reccomend I'd love to hear about that too.

thanks for taking the time to stop by

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    toon boom is just like flash, and yes it is vector based. But dont get me wrong it is very good. Retas is a good program, it takes a while to get use too though. It was used for cowboy bebop.
    Last edited by Costau D; May 2nd, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    I don't have heaps of experience with toonboom and flash (only mucking around with them both for a few hours) and in my opinion flash can do everything toonboom can do and then some (although toonboom is very light and easy to use). Even though it's vector you can still draw every frame and get a decent hand drawn look out of it.

If you want completely bitmap animation then you could try TVpaint animation, but you have to get used to a whole new series of painting tools.

Corel Painter also has animation capabilities, and although they are limited compared to the other programs it's a good way to learn.

I think it's very helpful to draw each frame and just compile them in a frame sequence program (any editing or compositing program will do) - helps to learn better timing in your initial drawings rather than relying on 'tweaking' it later.

Thanks
    Photoshop works fine by me.

Warning :likely to be a repeat of another thread: >Animation Software<

Thanks
    There's DigiCel FlipBook also.

http://www.digicelinc.com/
    You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Toon boom is great just for the lightbox alone. Sure other programs can put together frames, but toon boom simulates cel animation very well. It includes compositing, and work area. Photoshop... IMO is a horrible choice if you want to take it seriously, and take it all digital. But if your scanning, then batch saving to bring into traceman or another "digital inking" package for touch ups then that is useful.

But, toonboom offers complete digital 2d animation, and some... Only reason why photoshop is bad, is because it takes to long for what can only take a few seconds in real life to get better timing, cel flipping, or flipping in toonboom and other 2d animation software. But it's all relative really, whatever suits you and your work flow best. Just make sure you follow the 12 principles of animation and your set.
    Last edited by Costau D; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:28 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Plastic Animation Paper (PAP) is a very nice basic 2d animation program

Thanks
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. Good point there, Lugh. The best software in the world wont do any good if you don't know what you're doing, right?

Oscen, i'm checking out that PAP software. No reason not to give it a try seeing as it's free!

Lugh hit tht nail on the head, photoshop and imageready are too tedious for what i'm going to be doing. They are great for making little gif's to put on a web page or something like that, but to do actual animated stories, or even just to learn how to animate, you need to be able to test, identify mistakes, work some more, then test again without having to reset everything every time.

Thanks
    Flipbook is what we use at school. It's got a simple interface and can be learned in about 15 minutes. I'm not sure how much it costs commercially-- probably somewhere in the 200-300 range if it's priced like most professional software-- but it's what I'm used to.

It's really meant for camera-captured animation, though, so if you're trying to work digitally it will be of absolutely no use for you.

Thanks
    Never underestimate the power of Photoshop. And this is in anime style too animated by one guy and was done in 2 months. Rough on the edges but pretty impressive for an amateur.

Thanks
    I wouldn't really call that animation, each frame is pretty but the characters move stiffly and painfully. Seriously, using photoshop to animate is like deciding to leave the machinery aside and dig your basement with a shovel instead.