Harley Quinn WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Harley Quinn WIP

Harley Quinn WIP, wanted to make her appear in her padded room at the assylum but i've not really done much on the background(obviously). Any constructive criticism/critiques welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see her expression and I see the Joker really instead of Harley. It's in the grin. The shading work you put into the outfit on the hands, arms, and gun look wonderful, but there are anatomy issues right now. Judging where the crotch area is, her torso would be insanely elongated, and it's causing her legs to look very short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really tough pose to pull-off. The perspective on the face and the guns, especially. Good effort.

The facial anatomy needs the most attention. As far as the color ... the shadows and highlights are well realized ... but they don't have any color personality because it looks like you shaded with black and white. Need to get some color into them, especially the shadows, to make it sing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool idea

You might wanna think about her upper body; it's kind of mannish at the moment.... big muscles, no breasts...

Oh, and also -- if you made her nose a little more turned up, she might look less Joker-y.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good. I'm not good at photoshop but thats amazing work. EXCEPT she needs more shape in the hips and legs. Usualy when in an angle like that the torso would be most important but that amazing idea you had with the arms and guns covered them leaving the legs lifeless. So you can go back to the legs. Theres lots of things you can do with girls legs because theres less muscle form + they can bend backward or more detail in the knees. But still its great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for responding I really appreciate your critiques! I initially started this from a little thumbnails sketch i did during a meeting and I forced myself to really try and paint, I spent about a week on and off working on it before i got so used to staring at it that i inevitably got stuck. Now that the anotomical abnormalities have been pointed out to me they stick out like a sore thumb, i must do something! I think perhaps if i used reference next time instead of just going for it i would have avoided such awekward problems. i do think she looks a bit too manly as well, again ref would solve that.

Any suggestions for the background? Or for color variation, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to color theory and painting so any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS!!!

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great work of course. However, Harley's facial expression is usually a wacky, ditzy (even cute) one, which is her trait and makes her, her.
    You've shown her here in a more evil and calculating manner.
    This is not really a critique, just a personal nitpick really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Stan, great job!

I agree with the others on several points: Her smile, body and such. Let me add a couple that I personally noticed.

Eyes: Her right eye appears to be looking at us...while her left is ...looking over our shoulder, or to the right more. And the whites are too white IMO.

Revolvers: They are both well done except for....the far one...should not be reflecting Harley's face. Firearms in general rarely have the top surface polished to that extent because it would reflect sunlight into the shooter's eyes...making it difficult or impossible to aim well. By rarely I mean firearms that are used....you can find an occasional collectable or display gun that has such polishing done....but just try to shoot it on a bright sunny day.
    The near one...perspective still applies to guns. Basically the barrel just needs to widen a little and the muzzle needs to be less round and more oval shaped. Oh...and the chambers in the cylinder are off....but hey, I just notice these things because I am intimately familiar with them. (Waits for everyone to run away screaming)

I love the job you did on the colors and lighting...but agree that it would improve with some other tones thrown in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so i made some changes....

I didn't like the background and i wanted it to feel more cold so i adjusted the color a bit, the background still needs quite a bit of work though...

I made some changes to her anatomy, specifically I fixed her superduper long torso, added some more shape to the legs, slimmed down the arms, and pushed her right shoulder back a bit...

I added some more yellows and reds into the eyes as they were to stark white, as well as changing her left eye's focus...

I made the suggested, slight alterations to the gun muzzle as well as reflection...

Again, thanks for the critiques. As for her facial expression being a bit more evil, well personally i like it, I mean she IS the sidekick of a homicidal clown so I thought i'd try and show her more devious side And as for her not showing off her boobs, with this pose i'm not sure how i would even go about showing them so i guess that will remain the same as well...sorry!

Any further comments, suggestion, critiques are always welcome and appreciated, especially concerning color and attention to the background...

CHEERS!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is much better than I could do but the main problem I see is that if someone is not familiar with the harley quinn character, they might not be able to tell she is a woman from this picture. Otherwise...nice job.

Mishra is offline Professional Graphic Designer Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the piece and agree with everyone here. She needs that girly almost kidlike feeling in her face kinda like she just got busted stealing cookies, make sense? I hope so. and if you want a great example check out Alex Ross

http://www.alexrossart.com/artforsale.asp?sc=ARBT2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i completely understand where you guys are coming from saying she looks a bit too menacing and not kid-like, cutesy, playfull kinda look but the look was deliberate in that i wanted to show her in a more menacing dangerous sort of way,(hence the dramatic pose) but i appreciate everyone's input and suggestions Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree on what people say about the face, the grin doesn't fit her and her eyes look a bit dead. From my experience Harley usually looks more smug than manic or sasistic. What I'd try is to close the mouth and squint the eyes a little, simply make her a little more mischievous. Maybe raise one eyebrow a little.

Manly Man is offline Sworn Protector of The Innocent from Health Food Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shorter nose, bigger lips, maybe make the smile more crooked. It'd just seem to fit better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arms in the way, cant see boobs, make the smile more nice, and innocent seeming, thats her character... nice and innocent but deadly

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.