Thanks

Still Unemployed!

I joined this forum two weeks before I graduated, which was in December. Ever since then I have been looking for work - granted its not a minimum wage job - Ive already had two mim. wage jobs and I thought, now that I have a bachelors I deserve more. Infact, mim wage jobs are so shitty, the money would cover gas and food - gas I need to get to work and food I need to eat while at work, so in the end I make nothing.

Well its been..what...five months? Still jobless. Sent in applications to normal places, art places, offices and a pet spa even.

Not even barnes and nobles would hire me. What the hell is going on? I need a job seriously bad, I dont even have money to buy art supplies anymore and I need them to finish my portfolio.

Why wont normal places hire me? My mom still thinks is my bachelors, that its making me 'over qualified' for a mere $8 an hour job. But at the same time, im under qualified for others jobs! Are there no jobs for people with a bachelors?

what should I do?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My sister got out of graduate school with her masters in biology. She ended up working as a life guard at a high school pool.

Just start shooting your resume out, beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks
    I've so been there. All I can say is keep trying. After I got my bachelors I got a job putting the remains from animal experiments in bags of formaldehyde for long term storage with another guy that never even graduated high school.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    I hate to say it but;

Your Degree (in Arts I presume) won't mean squat if you don't have the foundations down. Your colors are the bomb diggity, and some of your work is great and creative- but all the stuff in your sketchbook with people in it have inaccurate perspective, the values and forms could still use alot of work, and your lips always look the same- to put it simply, you have quit a bit of work to do for an awesome portfolio, and I'm sure you could show some of your stuff (like that kitty thing) to a local gallery (Withing 40 miles or so), and get at least a little PR action.
    Honestly, the min. wage jobs nothing can help with- but for the art jobs, you gotta pull your forms and perspective a bit more up to par. I will post a crit in your sketchbook for your btw.

So pick up a 22 cent pencil and a 2.99 sketchbook (sacrafice lunch, I do it all the time) and start drawing from life like a mo' fo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Hang in there buddy and keep trying!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    I hate to say it but;

So pick up a 22 cent pencil and a 2.99 sketchbook (sacrafice lunch, I do it all the time) and start drawing from life like a mo' fo.
    i used to use only the prismacolor turquoise drawing pencils and when i started but eventually drifted to sing cheap number 2 pencils from hobby lobby for sketching. im still stuck on using the 7 dollar sketchbooks but i just like the paper of that certain brand.
    not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks
    getting a job is like playing craps, with the winning roll changing before every toss without you knowing. the only thing you can do is keep throwing
    Last edited by hito; May 2nd, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    many of us have been where you are now.. and the rest are heading that way. not getting a job after a degree is tough.. its even tougher the longer you wait. some colleges help you find jobs before or after graduation. you should check out your college to see if theres any programs like that in the student affairs office.

otherwise, send out resumes, be persistent, and apply at any job thats WORTHWHILE. fast food places and barne's & noble arent going to get you anywhere.. the cash youd make there would barely cover what youd spend anyway. try offices or hotels.. try to find an art studio that needs some help or an artist/photographer that needs an assistant. maybe theres a local magazine/newspaper that needs an artist of some sort.

try for jobs that may actually help you get somewhere later on.. not just pointless jobs for low pay.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Some of you keep refering to it as luck, which I know it can be. But, is it really gambling? What do you have to lose? If you want something get it, maybe you need to work harder and more often, and get those skills up more then they already are. Don't get discouraged, because it's very satisfying to people like me to see others succeed.

JAG has a good point too. Try some local "boutique studios", hell maybe try to get in through an internship. Also, maybe get into some 3d, it can help you open more doors for jobs. It's really not hard to get a hang of the software, and learn the useful basics.
    Last edited by Costau D; May 2nd, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    time is at stake

Thanks
    Only more reason to keep trying. Whther you have seperat responsibilities or not, just keep trying to do what you wan in life. Without the expense of others ofcourse, if you can help it.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    what should I do?

I understand your problem from life experience. When people say you are over qualified that is time to start thinking about starting your own business. Life is hard and filled with ups and downs. You might start out by taking any job you can find to make money for things you are interested in pursuing on your own time. After you find something to bring in some money, pursue your career objectives on your free time. While you are young take advantage of investment opportunities (I am assuming you are young, although I went back to college at a later age). There is this radio talk show called Money Talk where the host speaks about the land of critical mass. This land is a financial objective you reach so that you can live independently wealthy and not have to work, instead pursue your personal interests. It takes some investment strategy based on saving a portion of what you earn. Even in a circumstance where you have to take a job that you do not like for the time being, think of a long term goal to get out of that circumstance. Whether this be a career objective starting your own business or saving money to accumulate assets to pursue your financial goals. I wish this radio talk show was around when I was young, perhaps listening to it back then would have produced better results for me in these later years. Unfortunately I only caught on to this talk show recently, too late in life.

I could swear your name used here for posting ("smellykitty") appeared on a message board I visit in Australia. This particular web site has nothing to do with art, just casual chat. Same person?

Thanks
    thanks for the help guys

its nice to know other people were in the same pickle. an internship would be awesome, but for that I need a solid portfolio huh? and Justin, I promise to draw more, lots more.

Stephen Lo Piano, I probably should start investing...now. My parents dont really have any retirement plans and in a couple of years theyre gonna be real old. Me and my sisters arent even sure whats gonna happen when that time comes..

but im not apart of any just general chat forums. theres another smellykitty floating around the net. I know becuase in a lot of forums I join the name is already taken >:/

but im the only real smellykitty!

Thanks
    May have been mentioned but if you are indeed over-qualified... just don't mention the bachelors degree on the application?
    SSG 37

Thanks
    Takes time, patience, sacrifice and whole lots of shit eating that no one wants to go through. Ive probably had about 14 different jobs over the past 5-6 years. Ive worked minimum wage part time's at a movie theater, Office depot/max, Subway, two different restaurants as a waiter. Ive worked 2 even 3 jobs at once while still attempting to maintain a sketchbook (btw, this is my second account on CA due to personal reasons). Ive been hired at two different police departments working as a communications officer and dispatching (very stressful jobs). Worked graveyard shifts at 2 different warehouses driving forklifts, sweeping trailers, stacking boxes, 12 hour shifts from 7:00pm to 7:00am. Been days where I went without eating anything, worked weekends and lots of overtime to pay for shit that I shouldn't have to pay for to begin with. Was kicked out of my house at the age of 17 and really had to put lots of effort into staying alive because I had no where to go. I personally feel that for my age, I've been through my fair share of shit. I went to college for about 3 months before dropping out, thought that I wouldn't get anywhere but still tried my hardest at everything I could. I'm 22 now, and for the situations I've been in (which wasn't too bad compared to others I know), I've matured a lot.

After sacrificing the very little time I had, I kept up with drawings and trying to build up a portfolio. Over the past couple of years I've sent my work around and got noticed a bit in the industry. I was turned down because of lacking experience in the field, and not having a degree in art. So after trying, failing and trying again... I finally ended up getting a job in the art/game industry beginning of this year. From that, I can tell you that no matter what, don't ever give up. If you really want something, you shove your face into it and keep working hard! don't ever let anyone discourage you because people have told me I would never make it in no matter how hard I tried. No one has ever backed me up in life and assisted me in getting where im at today, and for 22 thats not to shabby imo. So keep at it, theres a job waiting for you somewhere!

~BOOM!
    Last edited by Coinpurse; May 6th, 2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: link wasnt working :P. Working fine now.

Thanks
    What's depressing is that people who are way more qualified for jobs than me, can't seem to get them either. I'm also unemployed (I have been for the last month or so after safeway, who paid me minimum wage in hopes I would throw my dignity out the window and grovel like a cheap , cut my hours to nothing). So I'm wading in the aforementioned shit that Boom mentioned (good post btw boom).

A long, shitty, shitty road ahead of me friends. It probably didn't help that I dropped out at 16 either (I did get my GED at 16 though and some CC at 17-18). Maybe in my subconscious I wanted to make things this horribly difficult! Haha.
    SSG 37

Thanks
    LOL! Welcome to 2007! Times have changed. It's hard to know this when our parents still believe that a B.A means anything.
    We now live in the "Information Age", everything happens FAST.
    People change jobs every 1-5 years, companies change their business models ever 1-3 years and technology changes every year!

Schools are sooooo far behind this curve, that by the time you get out 4 years later, everything you learned in school is obsolete.

Just concentrate on what you want to do. Actually visiualize yourself doing it. Do the best you can everytime, and things will start to happen. After you land a good job, you will soon realize that your college education is nothing more than a topic for conversation.

BTW, don't get caught up in all this whining crap "whoa is me"...."I'm over-qualified for this..."
    These kind of ranting attitudes will only keep you in your minimum wage jobs.

If nobody has told you yet,...Life is not FAIR. It doesn't care where you come from, who you are, or what you "want" to do.
    Only what you do.
    Last edited by otis; May 7th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    amen to that brother

Thanks
    It sounds like you're not effectively networking.

Thanks
    Life isn't fair, but life absolutely does care about "where you come from, who you are, or what you 'want' to do" just as much as "what you do".

hence the importance of networking.

Thanks
    Networking doesn't matter much if your work isn't good, or your reputation stinks.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    its true poor work will get you no where.

Reputation however is direct result of networking. No networking = no reputation; poor networking = bad reputation.

in the end its people dealing with people, and emotions and perception of others come into play conciously or unconciously. Time and time again you can observe in yourself and others how much you value someone's work based on if you know the artist personally or not.

We can go back and forth all day long. But all I'm saying is that networking is just as important as having quality work. Its not a good idea to devote your time exclusively to one or the other.

Thanks
    waiting tables is a high paying job if you do it in the right restaraunt. No shame in doing it, so just start applying everywhere. You need money. Get a crappy job until you can find a better one.