What type of pen should I get?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What type of pen should I get?

I do alot of pen art and I was wondering what good pens to use for I just use those cheap papermate ones?

Edgar!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say get a whole bunch of different kinds and see what happens with each of them. Right now, I have a little Uniball Extrafine that I use to sketch on the train. But when I'm home doing more "serious" work, I use a colection of crow quill pens that I inherited from my grandfather (he used them to copy sheet music 50-odd years ago). Different tools give different kinds of marks so try a whole mess of them and see which one suits you best.

(I generally don't recommend techincal pens, since you can't vary the line weight through a single stroke with them. But if that's not a worry to you, then give them a shot, too.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you

Edgar!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A mystery: why is not matter how many types of pens and ink I use, the freshest and most interesting drawings only seem to happen when i'm using a leaky biro on the back of an old envelope while sitting on a train? Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony. (Geek points to whoever spots the obvious quote first)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Microns work wonders. I have used them exclusevily for the past 6 years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do those pens smear when you go over them with marker?
    are there pens that i should watch out for in terms of smearing?(besides ballpoint)

oh and hrmmm maybe The Matrix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no smwaering, let them dry for a couple minutes first. They are acid free, and hold up very well. Just don't erase the heck out of them and they will last.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personaly love Ball point pens. You can get very nice variations in strokes if you use them properly but it creates a very bold affect that you cant get as well with a pencil.

Alternativly you can use a gel ink pen to go over pencil drawings to give them a nice clean look without having to erase your guide lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Try a bunch and see what works for you!

Most of my ink work is done with a combination of crow quill,calligraphy pen nibs, and brushes. I just like the feel of dipping into a jar of ink.

I also use some microtec (I think they are made by Sakura) and they produce a good consistent line and come in a variety of line weights.

My favorite technical pen is an old rotring from drafting. Can be a bear to clean and maintain, but it is still the best line in town.

Grumbacher makes some nice pens. There are really good for sketching.

Good luck and enjoy!

Andrew

"Channeling is just bad ventriloquism. You use another voice, but people can see your lips moving." -- Penn Jillette

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When it comes to choosing what type of pen to use I find its no different then decideing what pencil grade your looking for. It all depends on the style your looking for in your drawing. Like I said before, ball pionts can create a bold picture but you can also add soft strokes to your piece. Last night i did a ten minute sketch of a beast/dragon thingy-majig with a ball piont and I wish I could show you but i dont have any webspace :'(.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats a nib pen?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Use them all

A nib is a pen that you dip in some ink I use them alot ..the're great for really sharp line width variation. also try using a brush, but be sure to buy a good one Like a Winsor-newton series 7 #2 or even a Rapheal works great too Oh yeah make sure they are sable watercolor and not synthetic..dickblick is about the cheapest source for that stuff. Other than that use WHATEVER you can get your hands on! Im constantly buying new pens and tryin them out. I favor microns and rapidiographs but for pen sketches I love ball points. Hope this helps. also get your hands on some prismacolor markers or copics..they will help develop your style as far as large shapes and shadings go too.
    Take care:chug:

Draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i found that with isopropyl alcohol you can dilute ballpoint pen ink somewhat.. give them a wash-like effect.. kinda neat..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like my Rotring rapidoliner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with using a wide variety of pens to get a feel for the different types of marks they can make. The best book on the subject I have ever read (and I've read plenty) is 'The Pen and Ink Book' by Jos . A. Smith (Watson-Guptill Publications). It has everything from basic techniques and materials to advanced multi-media tutorials. Also has the most through review of inks and pens I've ever seen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am new here, but have been into line drawing for many a year.

I used to use whatever Felt-tip pens I could get my hands on when I was younger. Became fed up of running out a AUS$5 pen every week

Bought a set of Rotring tech pens. One of the single worst ideas I have ever had. Great for tech drawing, bad for line art.

Bought a Rotring 600 Fountain Pen with an EF (Extra Fine) nib. Very nice pen.

This year my parents bought me a Faber Castel PorscheDesign Fountain Pen for my 21st. It has a Fine nib that is made from Gold with Rhodium plating. Works like a dream Only bad thing about it is that the thinnest nib I could get was a Fine. I really want an EF nib for it, but they just don't make them

I am now on the hunt for a really good quality black ink. One that I can feed through the pen, but I can also paint larger areas of black without having uneven coverage. If anyone knows of a good brand, then please let me know.

.: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use pen and nib also. Its like 10 pens in one. YOu can have small lines, and really bold ones just by pressure. Plus, you can use the ink to make brush and ink drawings (or painting, whatever)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.