Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aliens..

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stepping away from the sci-fi genre a bit,
    but anyone here remember clash of the titans?

I think the scene with the giant vulture holding a cage with the broad inside did it for me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think everyone is in agreement that the third and fourth weren't that great. They were both pretty weak imo. But if you go back and view them again you'll see that the directors, David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) and Jean-Pierre Jeunet (The City of Lost Children, Amelie), added their own touches to the series.

I think Alien3 has some great photography, the autopsy scene of Newt is one I remember in particular. And Alien 4 had Ron Perlman kicking ass!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the queen makes sense. She might be needed for 'administration', plus Kane might have run into one of the few still living eggs after all those thousands of years. The queen layed new fresh eggs at a better location. You know what they say abot eggs and baskets too.

I see the derelict ship fossil dude as an unfortunate traveler who ran into the aliens thousands of years ago. For some reason he set down on some god forsaken planet, maybe the alien was in a temple he was exploring, or he was already infected and he wanted a desolate location as quarantine. Realizing he was screwed, he went to his chair to tap in the warning signal cuz he realized this thing wasn't healthy for anyone. Then the alien hatched. The alien, realizing it was stuck on a shitty planet, evolved into a female queen. There are animals and insects on earth who turn into females if there aren't any males around. Some insects select a single queen out of the females and kill the rest. The queen went into some large room, layed eggs in a cradle. The mist is some cryo shit secreted by the eggs. It reacts when broken, so the eggs can decryo and greet the guest.

I hate the idea of the aliens being degraded to mere bioweapons that were being transported.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 5th, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree Prom. There are bees where a queen is born from the ranks of soldiers/drones. If the aliens need a queen to perpetuate the hive/species, then one of the eggs can mutate into a queen.

I don't like the bioweapons thing either. What could be interesting though, is that the aliens we've seen aren't what the original alien even looks like. If they use some of the genetic traits from their hosts, then they may have completely mutated from their original form. It might be kind of cool if there was an alien movie that a had a slightly different, more "pure" version of the species. Of course the design of that would have to be done by Giger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh yeah Clash of the titans is awesome too.. i dunno about the remake thats in process though

and the Fifth Element is a blast.. as was stated its just fun to watch, but certainly doesnt blow my mind like Aliens did.

Dave has a good point.. if all the colonists had been caccooned there would have been planty of aliens for the marines to deal with. that would have been a suitable sequel. but cameron wanted to go BEYOND that, make it crazy.. as stated he took the film in another direction and made it HIS film. so to really differentiate it there had to be some new element.. no?

but where'd the queen come from anyway?? maybe she was stuck on that derilict ship with all the eggs.. and once the colony was overtaken the aliens transported the queen from the ship to the station? whatever.. it worked. she wasnt necessary.. but it was a freakin great idea i think

id say the new element in Alien 3 was the 'revelation' that the alien takes on traits of its host.. like the dog-alien, and even the lame ass 'joke' at the end of AVP.

being that the eggs were originally found on that derelict ship, that showed some big ugly 'alien life-form' in a turret.. so that derelict ship may not have been the aliens'.. which means there planet and civilization is elsewhere..- JAG

EDIT: there was a 20 min break between writing and posting that.. so what i said was already discussed a bit above

Last edited by JAG.; May 5th, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, one of the redeeming things about #3 is the trait inheritence deal (I guess in order to blend in, and steal ideas (evolve)). Imagine Aliens assimilating a zoo! Giraffe aliens!

Edit:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 5th, 2007 at 11:10 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha awesome.. do a hippo alien ! - JAG

PS you forgot the white cotton panties..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If the aliens need a queen to perpetuate the hive/species, then one of the eggs can mutate into a queen
    granted, but it still doesn't really explain why Ripley needs to suggest the idea of a queen to us because she's already established that there are more than enough eggs (from what Kane told her, which she believes is true) to infect the entire colony 10 times over.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see your point Dave.. after thousands of eggs youd think it'd be obvious about the queen right? but in aliens [which was released 7 years after Alien] it was more of a reminder for audiences i think... kind of like 'remember all those eggs?? well there a queen thats laying them, in case you forgot..' just to tie the stories together in a sense. again, really not necessary.. but semi-useful for the sake of story-telling. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha...nice alien Prom. We should all do different versions of aliens.

Off the alien topic, the Matrix was one of those great movies I forgot to add. I just watched it on TV the other night, and I remember when I first saw it in the theater. I didn't know what it was about, and when Neo wakes up from the Matrix and gets ejected from his pod I was like WTF. That scene has to be one of the classic sci-fi moments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're so awesome, Prometheus.
    Anyway, the idea of aliens assimilating many different kinds of animals was explored pretty well by the alien toy line. There was a gorilla alien, panther alien, cobra alien, mantis alien, crab alien, rhino alien, bat alien, and at least a dozen others that I can't think of at the moment. Ah, I had some fun times playing with those guys when I was a young un. Damn, those were some great toys.
    The alien queen wasn't completely necessary for the story, I guess, but "Aliens" would have been a lesser movie without her, in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, I found a link with images of a bunch of those. I don't know...they look pretty goofy to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls View Post
    Haha...nice alien Prom. We should all do different versions of aliens.

Off the alien topic, the Matrix was one of those great movies I forgot to add. I just watched it on TV the other night, and I remember when I first saw it in the theater. I didn't know what it was about, and when Neo wakes up from the Matrix and gets ejected from his pod I was like WTF. That scene has to be one of the classic sci-fi moments.
    The first Matrix movie is one of the very few sci fi films I like as much as "Aliens".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got any links to these alien toys Moai? Edit: Ooops there's a link! Got cought up watching Godzilla clips while typing a reply.

Godzilla has to be the most powerful movie monster though, and I'm not talking about the hollywood version which gets owned in this cute scene (youtube). It's a clip from Godzilla: Final Wars where these badguys somehow spawns lots of mega-monsters for Godzilla to fight. The mouth beam is probably as powerful as that of an Independent Day ufo, but Godzilla uses it more casually...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM! View Post
    stepping away from the sci-fi genre a bit,
    but anyone here remember clash of the titans?
    Harryhausen's skeleton scenes (Argonauts, Sinbad) blows any other fantasy stuff right out of the water, I think even Army of Darkness.

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, I found a link with images of a bunch of those. I don't know...they look pretty goofy to me.
    omg haha,my inner fan totally geeked out when i came to the micro machines figurines
    most of the rest looks kinda stupid,but still...man that would've been something for childhood
    thanks man,made my day.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah i remember those toys! never had any but a friend of mine did. man creative stuff.. thats an lien 5 waiting to happen 'Alien 5 - Aliens Take the Manhattan Zoo'

definitely some good COW ideas though.. a new alien-animal breed - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Japanese Godzilla movies totally own the lame-ass US version. I'd much rather see a guy in a suit than the stupid CG lizard one. That scene was awesome by the way.

I saw Harryhausen give a lecture at the Cleveland Cinemateque back in the 90's. He was so cool. He had the creatures from a bunch of his movies, including the gorilla from Mighty Joe Young (minus the fur because it had deteriotated).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    most of the rest looks kinda stupid,but still...man that would've been something for childhood
    It was something, man. It was something. I owned most of those action figures.
    Edit: Thanks for the link, jfwalls. It's strange how your childhood memories evolve to suit your grown up tastes. For example, I remembered those toys being a lot less simplified and super-deformed-ish than that.

Last edited by Moai; May 6th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the Aliens vs Predator RTS there were a few different animals you could use as hosts, other than space marines of course. They looked similar to some of those toys. The toys are interesting. Some are great and some are awful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Prometheus|ANJ: This NEEDS to be a theme for COW. : D
    Imagine an alien-spider, now that thing would kill you by just looking at it. xD

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what is this blasphemer I heard.... A remake....Clash of the Titans?
    And I thought it couldn't get any worst...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man you have no idea.. for some reason hollywood thinks it better to remake and 'improve' every film that was worth a spit instead of putting for the effort to try and achieve that glory and creativity once again with new films.

a lot of the films coimng in the next few years are remakes.. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hollywood often thinks (often correctly, unfortunately) that it's safer to reuse old ideas than come up with new ones. Profit is more assured if you use a tried and true formula than test out a new one.
    A good way to send a message that you do not approve of this is to simply not go see all these remakes. Unless they're crazy awesome, like the latest King Kong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the problem with remakes is that they keep the broken parts, then 're-vision' the non-broken parts so they become broken aswell. Also, suspension of disbelief stops working when you add midichlorians.

I found King Kong a total bore. The endless scene with the flubby dinos made me turn it off. My mind was already exhausted by all the effects-seeking at that point, and the movie was kinda long. Haven't resumed watching yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also didn't enjoy the new Kong that much. It just seemed to go on forever, and although it had some memorable parts I just thought it was mediocre.

I'm starting to dislike the overload of special effects they're cramming into movies these days. Everything has a more wow-look-at-all-we-can-cram-in-here kind of feel to it. Again, classic movies like Alien had their share of effects, but everything felt like it had a purpose.

The difference between something like Kong and Alien is like being starving and having the choice between a steak dinner and a bag of candy. The steak looks good AND fills you up. The candy looks great too, but after you eat it all you feel like shit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I loved the first two aliens movies and liked the second two for what they were. I recommend the special edition of Alien3 for those who haven't seen it. It redeemed the movie for me on almost every level. It has about 25 minutes of added length and some alternate scenes and effects. The continuity is much smoother and character development is a little bit deeper. The plot is much beefier too with the prisoners actually succeeding in capturing the alien and added side plots. I actually admire the route they chose for this film, getting back to the isolated and claustrophobic roots rather than pursuing the logical next step off from Aliens which probably would’ve been something like Starship Troopers.

Alien Resurrection, I can enjoy as an unapologetic campy, over-the-top monster flick. It struck me more as an homage to the subsequent cheesy alien knockoffs like Leviathan and Nemesis. I hated the movie at first but with every viewing, I found that it became harder and harder to do so. It was a bad alien sequel but a good genre flick.

Last edited by N D Hill; May 7th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    I found King Kong a total bore. The endless scene with the flubby dinos made me turn it off. My mind was already exhausted by all the effects-seeking at that point, and the movie was kinda long. Haven't resumed watching yet.
    From that point on, all you're really missing out on is an endless succession of slow motion scenes where Anne and Kong stare at eachother longingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah pretty much. its a one-time watch. but thats it.

and yes hollywood definitely plays the 'safe-but-rich' card all the time. just repeats itself for the sake of profit and forgets the fact that at one point there was the 'magic of movies'. and honestly i DONT go see all those remakes, but im just one little guy. the millions of folks that do confirm that its ok for these remakes to be made..

i hope someone remakes Alien - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG. View Post
    i hope someone remakes Alien - JAG
    What! Blasphemer! I can just see it now...3/4% digital sets and 100% digital aliens. Yuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What! Blasphemer! I can just see it now...3/4% digital sets and 100% digital aliens. Yuck.
    And Ice Cube will be in it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1