Thanks

Art + Management / Administration

sooo
    hey you all out there

so, I am a architecture student that is right now in a gap year in the middle of the course and doing an internship in a architecture office in germany whilst travelling to some countries and getting to know differente cultures

I have been drawing quite a lot latelly and now is my problem: I really enjoying drawing, I have always did ... sometimes I go on the web just to check one or other 3d/art website and spend hours on it! I love everything that involves art (films, comics, games, paints, concept art and game specially)

I like architecture as well, really like, but don't know if I really love it ..

BUT, even though I DO love art, I don't see my self as THE best 3d modeller / texturer / illuminator or a really good concept artist or painter ... I would see my self more as a director, like that has to deal with a lot of stuff, involving between art and the management/administration part ...
    I am not been arrogant here, it is just that I know myself and that is the way it works

So, I don't see myself as the best concept artist out there, I don't have that intention ... but I would LOVE to be involved in the team that will create a game/movie or whatever. Maybe yes, drawing and creating because I really like that, but I think more like as a director.

But, is there a way to get at director level without being THE best artist? I mean, of course having a good knowledge on art (much more than I have it now, I know hehe) I am learning to draw as you can see on my SB.

Just to clarify, for example, the director of an Engineering Company probably is not the best math / calculator / physist in the company, but is the guy who knows what must be done, what is the best way and how to deal with the contractors. So he hires the bests maths/physits/etc to work for him.

Again, I am not being arrogant, it is just the way I see myself.

If someone can help me clarify my ideas, I would appreciate a lot.

Thank you,
    best regards,
    Bruno.
    Last edited by brunopicinini; April 29th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    "Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Art directors are rarely the best artist on a team. This is because they spend their time managing the schedules of others and making sure that the artists are all communicating the same vision. The ones making the bulk of the art need to be the best artists.

Additionally, it’s hard to find people who have both the skills of an artist and the skills of an administrator or leader or business person. Pursue both paths and you should have some really awesome job opportunities.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I know exactley what you mean.

I am the General Manager for several News websites of local TV stations.

I am not the best web designer, programmer or journalist of the team, yet I have strengths in bringing the talent together, keeping all on tasks, training and developing their skills so that they can go to the next level, as well as paying the bills, managing the budget, hiring the right talent, refereeing arguements, etc!

I am an Illustrator myself, have studied web design, write articles, etc, so I am familiar with this stuff, but I keep talented people around me to get the job done.

It's like the coach of a pro sports team. The coach may have played the sport himself in the past, but now he trains and develops those that play better than he can to win.
    Helping Creative People Discover Their Purpose:
    Art Lessons From God!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brunopicinini View Post
    But, is there a way to get at director level without being THE best artist? I mean, of course having a good knowledge on art (much more than I have it now, I know hehe) I am learning to draw as you can see on my SB.
    God forbid... although there probably is. Directors who aren't artistic set unrealistic deadlines, expect magic from the artists and ... well more bad things.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    God forbid... although there probably is. Directors who aren't artistic set unrealistic deadlines, expect magic from the artists and ... well more bad things.
    An Art Director must, of course, have the artistic ability.

They don't have to necessarily be the best artist, however. They have to be able to produce the best results for the organization, which means having the best artist as a part of the team, managing the deadlines, the ability to communicate with department heads from other departments (especially when they expect unrealistic deadlines and magic).
    Art Lessons From God!

Thanks
    If a director can't at the very least do the jobs he is giving deadlines for, he shouldn't be the one giving deadlines. And by this, i mean of a quality which isn't light-years below the interns...
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    If a director can't at the very least do the jobs he is giving deadlines for, he shouldn't be the one giving deadlines. And by this, i mean of a quality which isn't light-years below the interns...
    I agree.
    Art Lessons From God!

Thanks
    cheers guys for your answers! really help an youth in his doubts hehe

Seedling: thank you for the answer. You are a great inspiration and a great help to everyone in this forum. Well, your answer was exactly what I was looking for. As I said I don't want to be the best artist out there, I DO like a lot to draw, but I like as well the management and interactive with other people.

Additionally, it’s hard to find people who have both the skills of an artist and the skills of an administrator or leader or business person. Pursue both paths and you should have some really awesome job opportunities.

This one I will print to remind myself hehe. It is exactly what I was thinking. I will develop my abilities in art as far as I can whilst I continue to develop my management and administration skills.

tsnipes: yeah, your kind of position is exactly what I am looking for! I know that I won't be the best artist (I am been realistic here, I know where my abilities starts and ends), but a good artist definitely because I like to draw and I know I need to be able to draw to do this kind job.

Blue: I agree as well with your point of view. I think the director should have at least a very good level of art abilities in order to know what can be done in certain amount of time and because, well, an ART director needs to know about art.

Ok, your guys really helped me.
    I will continue to develop my drawing skills (I must say that now I am much more willing to draw than before hehe, thank you) and take care of the management and administration stuff.

Any more thoughts?

Best regards,
    Bruno.

Thanks
    You don't have to be the BEST artist, but it should be said that you have to at least be good enough to get a job as an artist, because nobody will hire an art director without experience. You have to work your way up from somewhere.

Keep in mind there's a difference between wanting to become an art director because you're a strong manager and enjoy being a leader and wanting to become an art director because you're not good enough to make it as an artist. Make sure you're setting your goals for the right reason. Becoming an art director is far more work than becoming a better artist, so be sure that's what you want to do.

Don't be so quick to sell your abilities short. I've always been quick to say I'm not good enough to do something, but it's usually just a way of freeing myself from the responsibility of improving. I think it's too early in the learning process for you to know how good you can be.

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    My husband spent a year as the art director of Lord of the Rings Online. He got to being an art director by first being a technical artist. He can’t draw to save his life, but he knew the technical part of the project inside and out, he knew enough about art, design, and programming to make sure all three groups were communicating with each other, and he knew to hire people for his team who were far better at their individual specialties than he was.

Somebody needs to be the designated driver for the vision of a project, but that person doesn’t have to be the art director.

And from experience I can also say that a project can be harmed by an art director who thinks that he is the best artist on the team. It is demeaning and frustrating to the artists when someone is standing over their shoulders and implying that they could do a better job if only they weren’t chained to schedules and meetings. As artists, we want to know that we’re doing what we are doing because we are good at it, and not because we are second-tier artists who only get to make art because we weren’t kicked upstairs.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    really good read, thanks for sharing guys

Thanks
    WHICH is why I tend to like the balance we have in production ; CP vs DA.
    CP = Project Manager = Sets deadlines and does follow ups on the schedules and how the work progress is going. Has ZERO say on how things look. Follows the artists and how they're handling tasks (enough time, etc.).
    DA = Art Director = Ensures the quality of the work is as best as possible. Coaches his artists into following his vision and be the best they can. Has ZERO say on schedules (or at least to stop polishing stuff to death).

Of course, this only works if the CP and DA agreed to a plan during pre-production if you don't want to have a bloodbath on your hands.
    Putting the sole responsability of scheduling + art quality on a single person is unfair (imo). I'm not talking about smaller team managing but full fledge project planning.

Thanks
    Heehe. From my experience position titles tend to be ill-fitting things. The people who are good in a role end up in that role. Sometimes the roles aren't cookie-cutter. Titles can mean very different things from company to company.

If I had a job-title that fit my role, it would be "artist who is hanging out with the designers" or somesuch. :-) My husband now has the title of "designer" but summing up his job is really difficult. He's the "guy who figures out how to solve problems and who then teaches other people how to do it."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin View Post
    You don't have to be the BEST artist, but it should be said that you have to at least be good enough to get a job as an artist, because nobody will hire an art director without experience. You have to work your way up from somewhere.

Keep in mind there's a difference between wanting to become an art director because you're a strong manager and enjoy being a leader and wanting to become an art director because you're not good enough to make it as an artist. Make sure you're setting your goals for the right reason. Becoming an art director is far more work than becoming a better artist, so be sure that's what you want to do.

Don't be so quick to sell your abilities short. I've always been quick to say I'm not good enough to do something, but it's usually just a way of freeing myself from the responsibility of improving. I think it's too early in the learning process for you to know how good you can be.

Eric
    Dude,
    that got me. I think you really explained a lot of my doubts and I do agree with your points.

Yes, thinking carefully, first is way too soon to see where my abilities can get and second (and this one I think is really happening), maybe I am really just making an excuse for myself to free myself of the responsibility of improving. I will keep an eye on that but I must say that I am already making some changes for that, just stop giving excuses and just drawing hehe.

BUT, the third point, I DO like being a leader and I do think I can be good manager.

So, in a nutshell, yes maybe I was just giving excuses for my lazyness but yes as well, I really like to be a manager.

Thank you for your post, really clarified some points to me. I will pay more attention in improving my current art level.

Best regards,
    Bruno.
    Last edited by brunopicinini; May 1st, 2007 at 01:36 PM.