Art: Joining the fray
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Joining the fray

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joining the fray

First things first, let me just say that there are some incredibly dedicated and talented artists here. I was really amazed at the chops represented on this forum.

My sad little story:
    I've been a working creative for 25+ years. Although I studied as a fine artist and an illustrator, and have a background in animation and vfx, I've spent the last 15 years or so as a creative director doing mainly online/interactive work.

A few years back I decided to try my hand a writing live action screenplays. In the process I ended-up writing a cyberpunk trilogy that's getting some traction. Once some producers and an agent got involved, I got the bright idea to try knock-out a few concept drawings to better illustrate my vision.

I hadn't put a pencil to paper in about 10 years. Wow. I was humbled and frustrated. Whatever drawing skills I once had (I was never great) had dried, curled-up and wafted away while I wasn't looking. I was so frustrated I almost put the drawing board through the window. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, NEVER STOP SKETCHING, NO MATTER HOW BUSY YOU GET!!!

It was over a year later before I could bear to try again. I decided to use brush and ink to loosen-up. I spent a Sunday and knocked-out a few pieces and touched-them-up a bit in PS. They're not great ... they really lack personality, they're stiff, and some of them are too cartoony ... but I pushed through and finished them. I'm posting them here as a reminder to others, and a kick-in-the-ass to me. Don't ever stop drawing/painting/whatever you love. It's a gift that needs exercised, just like a puppy!

Anyhow, here they are. Shred away! I've got to go find myself a life drawing class!

- Joe

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow these are really cool. Nice color choices and style.

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyas, nice illustrations.
    I can only imagine how bad that must be. I try to draw something at least everyday, especially with the job I have... Definitely keeps me busy.
    But ya, don't ever stop drawing. Most artist typically draw once a day or once every other day. Either something small or something large, no matter. Once you stop, that rhythem you once had going on slowly starts to die off. Then when you attempt getting back into it, it's almost like starting over from the beginning. IMO, its kinda like working out. If you work out/lift weights the correct way, you begin building muscle. Once you stop, in time your muscles will begin to burn away, or begin eating itself for that extra protein your body needs. Its kinda the same way with art, its like working out your hands/motion and mind. Keep into it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Joe,
    first of all, thank you for your words. Your "sad story" seem a little my sad story, I understand what you feel and me too need some big kick on my ass.
    But, you have done the big step now, this is the only important thing.
    Drawing are like a muscle and they need everyday exercise, but for some facts are also a little like to ride on a bicycle: you'll see that your improovements will be rapid. I noticed that, also if you don't draw for 10 years, your eyes and your brain work everyday, and if you got a real passion on the blood, your eyes and your brain have worked in "drawing direction" in this 10 years.
    So, the only thing that we must do is drawing, sketching, watching, and fighting against the frustration: we will win.

About your works, I think that it's really nice! My favourite are the second: the pose of the character is great! Don't stop and post more! There are so many nice people here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, "stiff", "cartoony" and "personality-less" or not, I think your work is awesome please post more! We younglings can always use inspiration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick piece I did last night for the CHOW contest in the same style.

I've found the CHOW's a great excuse to keep drawing and painting a little bit every day. I don't think I'll ever try to illustrate professionally again, but it feels really good to exercise my eyes and hands and mind. I recently explained to my wife how you look at everything differently when you're drawing. The light in a tree, the structure of our dogs' heads, etc. I went through the first half of my life with a sketchbook surgically attached ... let me reiterate again, don't ever stop drawing, it's a gift you need to use or you risk losing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are absolutely fantastic. Unique and precise. No need to add anyhting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words, all. Glad the style has some fans. I stumbled upon it mostly to hide my weaknesses when I was trying to do those original pieces, but I kind of like it too, and using a brush and ink is a good way for me to try to loosen-up ... I was always an anal-retentive pencil noodler! ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joe, these illos have a great feel to them. I'm a sucker for toned paper, but your limited palette really has a nice impact. I'm curious as to the story behind these characters. In any case, good work.

You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

Members who have read this thread: 1