Thanks

Question websites: online art portafolios

Hi all. I'm part of some online art communities and used to have a personal website as an art portafolio. But it didn't have a comments system and no one ever sent me an e-mail. I get more critique and comments when I post my art on websites that are more public. So now I stop paying for the hosting (...I still have the domain though)... but I guess that for proffessional artists it can be a way to sell prints, etc.

What do you think of personal online art portafolios? Is there a way to make them really useful?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A portfolio will get you nothing if you do not let people know it is there. If you do not send a resume out, or participate in a community--whether it is a pre-fab one or a personal domain. It does not magically wing it's way into the right network. Hell, even your pre-fab DA account won't get you that if you don't show it to people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Well, yes, what did you expect? The internet is filled with oodles of websites that nobody visits or cares about. If you want a website, you need to ask yourself, first, why you want one. Is it for vanity? Is it to get your portfolio in the hands of companies where you are applying for jobs? Is it to sell your work? Is it a method of communicating to your friends and family about what is up in your life? For each of these, the website and the advertising for the website has got to be handled differently. Nobody is going to find the website on their own. If the website is part of a job-hunt, then a link to it has to be sent to companies along with a resume and other application materials. If the website is there to sell work, then proper advertising needs to make its way to the desired customers, because they won’t know to go looking for it on their own.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.