Art: Nude Figure Studies: Female
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Nude Figure Studies: Female

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nude Figure Studies: Female

I've decided that I'm fed up with not being able to draw female figures as well as I can male figures. My plan is to start a study dealing specifically with nude female figures. Why? I love the Renaissance; and if there is anything that we know about the Renaissance, it is that artists revived the Classical Greek Art style; and if there is anything that we know about Classical Greek Art, it is that mastering the figurative arts (having an accurate and precise knowledge of the human body and anatomy and being able to translate accurately and precisely that knowledge into visual art) is the highest goal any artist could strive to achieve. I call myself a Renaissance man because I, too, aspire to master the figurative arts. I do not bother myself with clothing until I have that intimate knowledge of the human body and anatomy; therefore, nude figures I shall draw.

Anyways, art history 101-Renaissance concludes and nude female drawing begins. Before I begin, however, I must tell you some important information on how I would like this thread to operate. I will be posting my drawings, sketches, etc. (studies) along with some thoughts of what I have learned about my study. Sometimes I'll include a little history lesson, mainly from the Renaissance for reasons mentioned in the first paragraph, and how that little lesson relates to my study. I would like those who are experts in this field, or anyone who knows better than I do, to check the accuracy of my little lessons and to constructively criticize the thoughts I may add on to my studies in order for everyone to become a little better at the figurative arts, specifically nude female figure drawing.

Unless specified, all studies will have a reference. I will post references along with my studies.

Phew...now, more art, fewer words.

First batch: three nude female figure drawings I did yesterday.

Reference for the first two studies:

First two studies:

From 5th pose in the Reference

From 3rd pose in the Reference

Reference for the last study:

Video clip @ http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=210145 Stopping times in video clip and related regions in the study: ( 00:41 ) - center, ( 00:54 ) - mid-right, ( 01:21 ) - top left corner, ( 01:18 ) - middle-bottom left, ( 02:00 ) - bottom right corner, ( 02:05 ) - top right corner

The last study (there are two parts because my paper is big and my scanner is small...bear with):

Thoughts: I concluded that the female body is different from the male body in three key elements: breasts, butt, and body curve. The female body seems to be a series of bends and curves (every now and then a straight line). The male body, however, is a little more square and chiseled. In addition, I decided that I would first focus on the breast of the female. It is one of the most difficult areas for me to draw, naturally (I'm a guy, heh). So, I started with very large, natural breasts, naturally (I'm a guy, HAHAHA!). Keeley Hazell, I decided, would be my reference for that study (at least I think they are natural :/ ). The next breast study will be large, natural breasts, then medium, then small...and so forth. I'm going to try and keep the breasts natural because...well, they didn't have breast implants back in the Renaissance (or at least I don't think they did.... :/).

Thanks for taking the time to study my studies. And, God bless those who read everything I had to say because there was a lot I said, heh.

Until next nakey-time :>D

Last edited by Immortal; April 26th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    "Wigga Wigga Nutshire"
    "How many quarters are in a dollar?"
    "...half and half, kinda like the cream, but I don't like coughy..."
    My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's always good to begin with a little warm up. My art teacher tells me blind contour drawing is an excellent way to get the mind going. I usually start with some quick blind contour drawings and look down after each one I make just to compare and adjust. Then, I start doing some almost blind contour drawings -- looking down at my drawing and adjusting every now and then. Then, I do a full blown study taking up a good portion of the sheet. No breast study today. Maybe I'll include some tomorrow.

Note: This reference is going to be used a lot. So, from now on, I'm going to call it the Female Pose Grid 1. I'll just say FPG1-Pose # and you can check out which pose I drew (counting left to right, starting at the top and working your way down).

Warm Up (No real need to critique this)

1st 4/27/07 Study: (Reference FPG1-Poses 23, 19, 18, and 13)

Reference for the 2nd 4/27/07 Study:
    http://www.inmagine.com/pt072/CD072009-photo

2nd 4/27/07 Study:

Thoughts: Not much to say about today's study. I guess one thing I've taken a closer look at is the position of shadows. It took me a while but I think I did a decent job on the shading for today's second study. Also, I noticed that shadows on women seem to resemble the body curve, a series of bends and curves (and straight lines, sometimes). The shadows are smooth -- they transition with a little more ease than do shadows on male subjects. The left breast of the female subject was a tough one to shade and shape. I'm thinking it turned out the way it did because I didn't use enough paper for the figure and the shading in the photo reference for the left breast was very complex.

Until the next nakey-time !!

Last edited by Immortal; April 27th, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
    "Wigga Wigga Nutshire"
    "How many quarters are in a dollar?"
    "...half and half, kinda like the cream, but I don't like coughy..."
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw in large shapes lightly at first. It will help your design ability, as well as generally get you a more proportionally accurate figure.

Also, make sure you are drawing plenty from life. Don't use photos as much, life is more important, nude or no.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend drawing the whole figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

always use shadows...they just give the sense that the painting is alive...i can do something nice on a piece of paper only when i am emotionally ready...you know these times when the pencil knows how to roll....

PEACE MOTHER-FUCKERS!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    suggestion:
    don't look at the form as 'things' : boobs, legs, face, arms...
    break it down into shapes, exisiting in space with little abstract subtle
    shapes of shading ...
    if you let go of what you're trying to draw, instead just draw
    the actual physical subtle shapes and shades, you'll step back later and say,
    wow, that looks real...
    weird triangle shade + curved shade + sublt highlight rectangle thingy + etc etc etc ... = well-rendered-drawing ...
    can you dig what i'm suggesting ?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.