Concept Artists Wanted for Comic Book Project ($5-$11 per piece)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concept Artists Wanted for Comic Book Project ($5-$11 per piece)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Artists Wanted for Comic Book Project ($5-$11 per piece)

Hi, I'm trying to get a comic book project off the ground with my own limited capital. We're ages away from producing anything fit for public consumption.

Right now, we are working on creating several central species of aliens (as our project's characters will be exclusively alien... no humans). After that, we've got environments, technology, clothing, characters, and more to hammer out. The challenging part is that my friend and I have relatively specific ideas on what we want, and we cannot draw at all.

The style we are looking for right now is pretty simple or realistic (not overly stylized as we are working toward the eventual goal of model sheets), and we are hoping to work with someone through the design process. We all work full time, so the work (which depends on our review) won't be regular, but that also means it won't take much of your time!

We are looking for talented people who are able to follow directions well and able to draw the same thing with minor changes consistently and from different points of view. We are picky, but we will always pay the full agreed-upon amount, no matter how minor the revision. As in the thread title, this amount will be between $5-$11 depending on ability. Unfortunately, completing a piece is no guarantee of future pieces (though it is likely! I say this because if the art isn't useful, we obviously won't continue to pay for it). We will be able to pay more for model sheets, once a given concept is completed.

You can see the things we're working on if you go to the website, carpechaos.com. If you think you may be interested, please post here or e-mail me at jason@carpechaos.com.

Payment via paypal, may grow into more as the project grows, privately funded by me (a recent UCSC graduate), only digital art files required (jpg or png preferred), color not always required.

More about the project:

My aim is to create a well drawn comic book about alien races (no humans) learning about each other, fighting with each other, allying with each other, and so on. The stories I want to tell revolve around discovery, tolerance, war, and the politics involved when cultures collide. I drew up a rough mission statement: "To convey the virtues of knowledge, tolerance, diplomacy, determination, and action through quality entertainment; to explore and ultimately expand the generally accepted potential of comics as a medium while maintaining a symbiotic harmony between the writing and visual art; to tell engaging, gripping, captivating, and well-thought-out stories via this medium; to present detailed, exquisite, developed, and consistent visual art; to present well-defined, multidimensional, emotional, developing characters; to almost exclusively use digital means of production; lastly, to build a greater, fully continuous and immersive universe around our stories."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i suggest offering a little more ($200-$300 at least) per page of illustration for more responses.

alternately, you could put together a business plan to show that you are serious about creating this, and take it to a loan department at your bank and see if you could get an investor to support your business goals.

it's not always about the money, the money merely takes away some of the day-to-day worries of living that weighs on the creative person so that they can focus on their main task, which is creating art for you - what all artists really want, is to work on projects that have the maturity to be seen to completion so that we are allowed a sense of satisfaction of completing something, and also to be involved in something that will be enjoyed by others as much as it was enjoyable for the artist to create it.

making a living at $5-$11 per page of illustration will most likely stress out the artist, and prevent them from completing the work, and more than likely, will not be the best work because the artist is not focused because they are distracted by hunger (lol) or lack of electricity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just eat and hug.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think one way to think about this is: how long do i want my artist working on each page? if you want them to work about 1 hour, think about what that looks like, and who would work for 5 dollars an hour.

---------------------------------

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sent and email

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sent and reply

In response to kendi:

Unfortunately, this is all I am able to afford. I would hope no artist would come to this project expecting to make any sort of living wage. I do have a business plan, I do plan to seek outside funding, and I do have every intention of seeing this project through to actual webcomics.

I haven't yet gone begging to banks because the project's other two members are still in school and that's a much higher priority than this project (at least for the next six to twelve months, at which point they graduate). If I did actually have money now, we wouldn't have the time needed to effectively spend it. My goal is to spend as much of my personal, limited income on the project to build up a base of work which I can then use to support the project when I begin to solicit said funds.

If my spending a significant portion of my limited income doesn't adequately convey how serious I am about this project, I'd ask you to look at the five (and a half) formal model sheets in the gallery on my website for the one species we have finished designing so far.

Obviously, if you're worrying about eating and keeping the lights on you should not be trying to fix that by picking up jobs like these. Right now, it's a spare-time project for all parties involved. This will eventually change.

And I think there may be some miscommunication about the types of work for which I am expecting to pay. $200-300 per page? Even if I were able to pay a fourth of that, what is a page? We work in small iterations. I understand that I am not offering a lot, and believe me, I'm not expecting much more than simple sketches in return. I am doing the best I can with the resources I have available.

All projects have to start somewhere. If it's not for you, then by all means, don't apply!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this offer still valid?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may be interested in doing some work for you if anything else it would be some exercise in completing directed tasks. You can check out my work in my skecthbook or on my site. More updates to the site soon. Thanks!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the job is still open, I would like to be considered as well.

http://www.geocities.com/projectsaturniaus

Members who have read this thread: 1