Painting Vs Drawing??
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Painting Vs Drawing??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painting Vs Drawing??

Alright, so given my current poor state of financial stability, I cannot afford to go to school for illustration, but I think my ideas are good and that I lack in the skill.. so it could be a very good thing... however, I cannot decide between a painting degree or a drawing degree.. no matter which I choose I will be taking many of both drawing and painting courses.. but Im unsure of what would be better for concept art or illustration. I know painting is awesome for showing textures and making emotions.. and it MAY help with digital painting though I dont see to what extent... but then again.. drawing is VERY important I can see.. and drawing enables some detailed textures as well.. maybe not so much with colored pencils. Any advice? ... Finally found a path I like.. now its just a matter of refining the idea.. as is the case in most aspects of life.

Thanks guys

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a painter myself and understanding what you want to get into, I encourage you to go into drawing. Drawing is fundamental for any other work you do (including painting); master that first and you'll be better off when you get into concept art/illustration. Painting may lead you in a direction that may not help your focus- for instance, painting abstractly (which some profs will inevitably make you do) will not help you when you need to design a character on a computer.

LAAFA is offline Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing is King

When most artists have issues in their work that are causing a poor finished product, nine times out of ten, it is due to a lack of solid drawing skills! Drawing should be studied exclusively for at least a year of full time intensity without even thinking about color!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was one of my biggest fears.. abstract art... and it is inevitable. I prolly will stick with drawing.. since i will have to take at least 5 painting classes anyway... but i see a lot of people working in the industry who say painting or illustration.. which is why i was worried.

Thank you for the reply

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent LAAFA, currently im trying to build my visual library and get better with textures.. as well as pouring out ideas of characters and objects i have in my mind.. though they rarely come out the way I see them. Good idea to build for awhile and focus on depicting texture?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start with shapes. Textures wont help the peice if it looks nothing like what you were trying to draw. Grab a sketchbook, draw from life, look for form. Also, if your into drawing characters and the like, start with anatomy, then come the clothes and textures, etc. Your drawings will fall apart if you dont haven't laid a foundation, so study up on that anatomy! Also, to quote someone on this site, "mileage is key." Good luck, best wishes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude...this is completely useless, but your run-on sentences drive me insane!

Drawing is an intergral part of a Painting degree. This way you can take both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Representational painting and drawing are both necessary. I never heard of having to choose between them! If you want to be a concept artist you need both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH, I didn't mean to come off that way. I dont have to choose between them, but I have to focus mainly on one. In a drawing degree it is required to take a minimum of 5 painting courses and vise versa. Interestingly enough I found out that choosing a concentration really only intales having to take eight courses in the chosen concentration and five in the other.. so really there isnt a huge difference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dvai's brushes?where can down?

Members who have read this thread: 3