Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anthony's Speedpainting expedition - Crits much appreciated

Thanks

Anthony's Speedpainting expedition - Crits much appreciated

So what's up? I am Anthony and just getting out of school for the summer and to keep myself busy I am going to start a speedpainting thread. One a day, all summer. I am going to try my best to stick with it, at least until I start my new school in July. I'll start with my first speedpainting ever which I did today, 30 min... Crits more than welcome!
    Last edited by th3rd_sin; May 2nd, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    good luck on the one a day thing, can't wait to see more. so here's the crit. I'm probably gonna make an idiot of myself but here goes. the shade on the rocks, some bits are darker than other bits that are facing the same way. And the rock that the person on the right hand side is standing on doesn't have a shadow.

GrundybuG

Thanks
    Yes sir yes sir, welcome th3rd_sin, or should I say Antwan. I have long awaited this thread. I shall join you in the struggle as well. As for my thoughts, I love the rock atmosphere, but i'd say loose the guy on the right hand side, you dont need more than one focus on a painting like this.
    See you soon then!

Thanks
    Hi, good job with the first pic I'll probably watch this
    here's my DA account. S
    http://merlkir.deviantart.com

and here's my sketchbook! check me out if you like concepts of soldiers and warriors of all sorts.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90214

Thanks
    Wating for another update I agree on the crit about the guy to the right

Thanks
    Hey Anthony. Nice to see you starting a thread here at last. I'll be impressed if you post every day, though I would not blame you if you missed a few... Fast paintings are a good way to start, to allow yourself to get comfortable with the fundamentals, but after a while I would suggest also doing some longer paintings, so you can confront the problems that you only have the chance to run into in a more finished work.
    You are off to a fine start. working in greyscale really allows you to sensitize yourself to the importance of value, which is crucial to a successful image. One tip that is pretty simple; you should always flip your pictures, horizontaly at least, to check for weaknesses in balance and composition.
    Looking at your first post here, the main thing that I would think about is that there should be a point of focus. Right now, everything in the picture has pretty equal attention, and the lighting is very even all over. Shadow shapes are a very important thing, particulary in environments, and can be used to draw focus and help balance your values in a picture.
    Anyway, I look forward to seeing more, I know you are a hard worker.

-John

Thanks
    Try not to give much attention to environmental surroundings
    like those rocky formations around the figure.
    More subtle brushes, quick strokes and plenty of layers.
    Keep at it!

Thanks
    grundybug - Not lookin like a fool at all! That is very sound advice, I am having trouble keeping my values constant, I am trying to get an atmospheric perspective thing going on but I just seem to be getting less consistant. Your right about the rock, funny thing is, I saw that too. Before I posted this no less. That started out as a test for my brushes though an I was to lazy to fine tune in those details.

Yakumoooo - Hey dave! Hope to see you thread up soon, you will have to send me the link. Your absolutely right about that man there. I started developing this painting in that corner and later put another man in there too. Again, to lazy to paint him out since it is all one layer.

Merlkir, Loolarge - Thanks guys and I hope to see you around here again.

John T - John! I'm so happy to see you in my thread! Your right too, I do need to work on a composition sketch with a point of focus before I commit myself. I seem to be starting these out randomly and just go with it. Thank You and I will definately work on that.

BOOM! - Hey, your right. I just realized the brush stoke bit today and will work on incorporating it into my future paintings. I am getting to focused on small details and that is a definate no-no. Your right about the layers bit, today I took advantage of it, difficult since I usually paint on one layer but I am getting used to it.

So here's my next painting. Again 30 minutes, sorta like expanding this terrain and give another view on it. Plus I don't know how to do much else and am working on that too!
    Last edited by th3rd_sin; April 26th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Felt like doing another bout 30 minutes again, I was bored. Mental note - Work on composition.
    Last edited by th3rd_sin; April 26th, 2007 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks
    OK, last one of the night. I am going to do a few tomorrow too. I don't know if I will be able to work on any friday or saturday, if I can't, I will post some traditional work. 20 minutes this time.

Thanks
    Alright, just finished one. It's my first time using color in a speedpainting and boy do I need to work on using it. I didn't want to break from achromatic just yet, but my character design instructor asked me to do one in color. So here it is, bout 45 minutes. Mental note - work on lighting studies.

Thanks
    Another, felt like improving color understanding. Learning something new everytime. A bit longer this time to really study it, still about 45 minutes though.

Thanks
    Alright, So I am away for the weekend and I am using a small 12" laptop. A big difference because it runs horribly with photoshop (elements no less). I don't know about the color or values in this one because the monitor is way off on this and I usually us a 20" widescreen color corrected monitor at home. Enough of a disclaimer...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast