Art: The Behemoth

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: The Behemoth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Behemoth

The Behemoth

Hi everyone. This is a concept for a spacecraft that can be deployed on different extrasolar worlds as a research station. It's meant to stay in sub orbit, never peircing the stratosphere. It basically acts as a carrier.

Last edited by m_wilson; April 24th, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool ship design, but the background is kinda bland... maybe some planetary features on the surface would be nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool ship design...oalexis is right about the bkground,,,
    I suggest that you try something simpler tooo. like an ocean or something..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hey thanks for the feedback guys. You know something had been bothering me about this painting, but I just couldn't see what it was (which was part of the reason for posting it). I made some slight changes. I agree with Mehran, the background needed to stay simple. I think the blankness of it was too much, but the lack of detail adds to the sense of isolation. So, I decided to add some surface scatter, like light hitting waves on an ocean, and some slight reflection from the sky. I took Oalexis idea and added a distant moon to help give it some kind of planetary feature, without getting too complex.

Last edited by m_wilson; April 25th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    REALLY nice lighting

nice ship, I like the soft lines

Look, you know what I mean. You take a bunch of people who donít seem any different from you or me, but when you add them all together you get this sort of huge raving maniac with national borders and an anthem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man! This was the first ship that I have ever rendered. It came out better than I expected. I have more figurtive experience than I have industrial, but after I saw John Berkey's paintings, I fell in love with sci fi.

This is a quick sketch of a ship flying through an explosive cloud.

The Behemoth

Last edited by m_wilson; April 27th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice ship! I like the windows and panelwork most, the colours are quite good too. Overall very very good for your first ship. The following criticism may be a little subjective but here goes -I find the front profile of the ship to be a little clunky especially above the bridge it's too bulbous and I can't work out what the orange lines are at the back, is it the propulsion system? decoration? something else? The landing bay looks like a tennis court and is in a very awkward position for another craft to land on.
    Don't get me wrong though I'm really enjoying the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your input Sparker. In reply to your comments, the landing platform is really a small part of a runway. Doors at the front of the ship open to allow ships to land (but that kind of technical info is not the point of this painting, obviously). The orange stripes at the back are exactly that. Different colored panels arranged in a design-y way. In my mind some of the panels work like one-way glass (you can see out but you can't see in) and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those that had such transparency and those that didn't (for instance there are new concrete materials with embedded glass veins that allow light to pierce it rendering it semi-transparent, but without the light it appears as typical concrete). And again , such description was not my intent, however I did think about it

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.