Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts

Heads from memory

There just aren't enough hours in the day!

I'm still working on the witch, Jazz trying to make a painting/cartoon of her now, and I'm playing with the cloak, but she's not at the stage where I can post a wip yet. As for the drawing of Nicholas; isn't it amazing how one line in a different place can totally change the look of a face?

That's what I was thinking about today, faces, and I thought I'd try to draw some from memory. People I've seen in the supermarket tonight; like the green haired art student at the checkout who looks like she's stepped off of a page of anime, or the guy with the wild halo of curls, or the woman who always looks half-starved and harrassed. (Hope none of them ever check this site out!)

I wanted to do something for 3CH, but I just haven't had time. Maybe next time.....

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This isn't really a crit.

More than anything, I just LOVE how you described those people at the supermarket. Wild halo of curls...AWESOME words!

I'd love to be able to describe subjects that way. And to get it on a picture without having to explain things twice, that would be so great! I think I just love the curly-haired guy's sketch! Possibly because I love his description most!

Thanks
    He was lit from the back as he came in the door, Jazz, and, I guess because he was blond, the edges of his hair really did look like a halo. Funny how some people just make an immediate visual impact!

Oh, got to go out to work for a while now. I love my job, but I dunno if I'll have time to draw tonight. Hope so....

Thanks
    thank you for posting in my sketchbook, sorry it took me so long to reply. you have some nice stuff going on here and i see a strong improvement since the last time i visited the thread. you said you liked my hand studies, i copied them from Bridgman's constructive anatomy book, i highly recomend it. keep up the good work.
    Blog: My Blog

Thanks

Phooey!

Now all the sketches I've posted have gone really tiny! Aargh! Hope this turns out better. I got lost somewhere doing this, and gave it up as a bad job, sorry....

Nope, reeeeeally tiny!
    Last edited by alesoun; May 26th, 2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Thanks
    Ahhh. You definitely have a style to your drawings. For some reason, when I look over most of yer art, I seem to get reminded of books I saw back in elementary school in the early 90's. ^_^ I don't know how to describe it... I think it's retro. And usually, well, from what I see... art now a days seems to be more simplistic in it's shading. But yours has more of a... I don't want to say richness, but it has a different taste to it (For me anyhow). Though, it could be I'm seeing it in a particular way due to the shrinkness that goes on when you upload. :3
    Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

Thanks
    Thanks, Wild! I collect old books (including old art books), so that might account for my way of drawing. That, or I'm about four-fifths as old as Mentler, but haven't sketched every day.....

Saw a photo of this javelin thrower in the sports pages of the Sunday paper and thought I'd try to draw her.

Thanks
    Some doodles from last night. Heads and faces quickly drawn from photo refs.10 seconds to a minute for each.....

Thanks
    A wip for 3chow that I'm just not going to get to finish....

Thanks
    Hmmm!! What an interesting chow!! Ha ha! Aww, too bad you couldn't finish it, but hey! A try is a try (and at least you DID try!)!! ^_^

Great sketch of the javelin thrower!! You captured her focus so well!

And great face sketches!! 10 seconds...man!! I need to catch up to you guys!!

Thanks

Imagination required

I've just taken a look back through this sketchbook and realised that very few pieces have come straight out of my head. I've been concentrating so hard on working from refs that I'm finding working from imagination difficult right now.

Sat and doodled these gestures in front of the tv tonight when I was stuck for something to draw. The first couple are just general gestures

But I'm also working on a story about witches; so I did these;
    Attachment 146610
    and I'll probably try to work them up into completed drawings over the next week or so.

Fingers crossed, anyway......

Thanks

Hello

Wow Impressive progress throughout your book!
    Your rendering has a very classical feel to it. I like that.
    And those piggies rule

Cheers
    When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Hey Alesoun - I forgot to thank you for stopping by my sketchbook - and coming back!

Glad to see you posting so much. That last 3CH is hilarious. I really like that witch/beauty sketch you made on the first page, would be great if you'd redo it in another medium. Keep sketching and keep updating. I'll be watching you.

Thanks
    hey nice work, the ancient lady is my fav...i think the quality of the pictures don't make justice to the drawings(like with the orangutans, nice drawing).
    it seems you work hard so keep doing that, drawing is the best way to be better...

keep it up

Thanks
    Hey, nice poses!! It's good to get some imagination going on your paper!! I gotta do that more often, too.

I like that witch sleeping on her broom! I'd hope I could stay up on there while I'm out! Ha ha ha!!

Some of the poses, I notice, look more like statues of a moment, instead of the instant of movement as it happens. For gestures, and I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but maybe worry less about proportions! That way you can really express the feel of that gesture! You can really visualize gravity, the subject's focus, their movements and perhaps the urgency of it, etc. That might also bring out your imagination more! ^_^

I love how you keep improving with all of these drawings, alesoun!

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2