Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Marco, I love the head of nr.3 and the body of nr.2 - put them together and you got a kick-ass concept (IMO, of course)! Very nice sketches all of them, curious to see the outcome.

Tei, your concept looks really sweet, love the demons and stuff following in deaths wake!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    final thing...

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

Description
    There is a bare and barren land which bridges life and death. There, tattered mists twine around broken trees, and the souls of the newly dead toil, bent and wandering over the lifeless earth. Their trudging pilgrimage is drawn - like a magnet, to one place - a vast, creaking carousel in the middle of this deserted land. The carousel is tortuously constructed, and infinitely huge. Ranks and ranks of horses, built from bone, wood and tattered cloth, spit and snarl from their rotting posts.
    Legend has it that this incongruous carousel was built by a god, half demented with grief after the death of his mortal child, in the darkness before the morning of the world. The carousel turns endlessly, creaking and splintering under its own, ancient weight. It acts as a gateway to another place. The horses of wood and bone bear the wretched souls of the dead away.

ATAnderson - thanks for comments and help really like your different take on the subject - he's pretty scary...

Bumskee - love your entry - its so inspiring but simultaneously completely demoralizing for an amateur like me...bah

rodrigo - really like the idea of the souls being trapped inside the horse, and your expressive composition

dragonsnail - looks so professional and dramatic. Glad you took bluefooted's advice re: the 'tattered-ness'

teigrob - really like that subtle painting
    Last edited by nuru; April 29th, 2007 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Marco - 1 has the most character and humour, 5 & 6 have good design elements.

Nuru - great start, does look like wood but also muscle, good work.

I think I might be leaning a bit hard on the derived thing, everyone else is making a horse, I am making a horseman thing, I hope that's ok.

Adam.

Thanks
    Would you have me rise up Ol’ Sifter? Nay, I would not! There are none so evil in this Hell that they should ride upon his terrible form or even glance upon his wrongful skins!

Sketch

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

WIP: Some changes in the sketch with skin texture, to make it look a little sicker, and form, too make it look more horse like and less dragon like.

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

Had to finally let this one go. Wish I had more time to work on it, especially the skin, but oh well. Work and family tomorrow, no time to paint.

Final Image

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

Hmmm...the background ended up all wonky. Weird, doesn't look like that until I post it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Scotwith1T; April 29th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    here ya go

did this on various lunchbreaks. colors to come this weekend.

mike

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

Thanks
    Hey guys, I'd like to be in, but I don't see the attachment option at the top of the posting bar, what's up with that?
    I have some WIPs of the piece here:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96079
    Lynn Hogan
    Concept art - Product Design - Illustration
    www.lynntendo.com

Thanks
    allways with this atachment option, Lynn, you need to host the pic somewhere and then you use the linktool.

Thanks
    hi everybody!
    Cool entries so far!

here's my wip

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

wow, there is some fantastic entries!!
    Bumskee my fav!
    ok my final:
    CHOW #69 - Death's Horse
    Last edited by Vorace; April 29th, 2007 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks
    first of all i have to say damn theres good artist in here... mad probs to everyone ^^

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

penumbra give as a real good story many started work on that point of wiew

but that text was not the instructions to this "job" but the stuff what was needed to be done was death's horse AND death (penumbra it isn't butting you down or anything... for now your work is best and most imaginative my vote goes to you ^^)

i didnt want to get focus from deaths so i made death litle bigger and big ego so big guy an so on.. hes/her precense is so huge and stuff like that...

we'r not having human in deaths coat... something "different" so thats why he/she is so big

story for the horse and death at the same time:

people say that eyes are the road to peoples soul... dead people dont have soul so neather do these fellows... and if there is road to soul then there cant be road there if there isn't nothing to go... thats why horse doesn't have eyes.. death doens't have face.. just form ...human like form

there is little stuff that makes difference in horce... skin there isn't one... just muscles... bridle is comming from piercings from horses muzzle. hoof's are claw like thingies... little stuff so it's reconicable...

in my mind they are hollow like thingies... empty inside and thats it i hope you like it ^^ peace, love and understanding
    Last edited by deftonys; April 29th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    jeeeeeeessssusssss there is some cool stuff in here. Hats off to all a'yall.
    I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

Thanks
    I have posted a quick update and I will comment more a little later about all the cool stuff in here this round.(I have to put my 4 year old to bed)
    I will also respond to all the much appreciated crits and comments. I have been working on a project but now I have a little time.

Penumbra
    Last edited by Penumbra; April 26th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    this is final

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

Death rides a pale horse

Also Death is kind of pissed because his girlfriend left him and she took his cloak.
    Last edited by wagon; April 29th, 2007 at 11:56 PM.

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks

Spitch CHOW69 Death's Horse

CHOW #69 - Death's Horse

Enjoyed a lot this one, despite my lack of originality

Penumbra, love your interpretation. Abdul Alahzred rules !

Thanks
    Penumbra: SWEET! Love the hands for hooves - that's pretty terrifying.

DragonSnail: It's looking great - the rendering is really well done.
    blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Scotwith1T, very nice concept, even though a bit confusing lines at some places, but wow if you manage to pull this of! Can't wait to see what becomes of it!

Nuru, very interesting concept with a wooden horse, I dare say it's one of a kind.

nephilim, your sketch looks good, though the hindlegs could use some extra work - the upper part bends a bit too much. Keep going!

Vorace, very dynamic, though I'm not overly sure about where those forelegs are going or how they are bent - could use some refinement. Deaths arm (the one seen over the horsehead) is at a slightly odd angle as well, maybe bend it down a wee bit? Love the scythe though!

deftonys: Verrrry nice rendering so far! Though I think death looks a bit big compared to his mount (upper part - legpart seems quite normal), and the part between the humerusbones (the chest of the horse) goes up too far on the horses neck. Perhaps that is consious though, in that case, never mind.

wagon - that's some concept! Keep going!

Spitch: Sweet rendering! Love the shadow over deaths face, though I'm not wild about the scythe going down in the crook of her arm like that - it tangents too much with the chest line. Pretty good anatomy on the horse, and I like the colors - the red on the hooves is a nice touch!

Penumbra, your WIP is to die for. I just wish there was more!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast